Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BWR Head O-Ring honeypot

Author Topic: BWR Head O-Ring  (Read 6907 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
BWR Head O-Ring
« on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:08 »
What are head o-rings made out of?

(I had always been told they were silver, but a text I am looking at says inconel...?)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

vikingfan

Re: BWR Head O-Ring
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:55 »
silver oxide

Motown homey

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:55 »
The BWR I work at has inconel o-rings for the RPV head.

alphadude

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:10 »
nuclear alloy (inconel) with a film, of soft pure silver on the exterior.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 12:59 »
nuclear alloy (inconel) with a film, of soft pure silver on the exterior.
If there is silver present, it's like alphadude says because silver isn't present in the Inconel composition.

http://www.espi-metals.com/technicaldata.htm

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:50 »
many years back i tried to salvage one thinking it was silver, the tclp gave me the scoop. not enuff silver to make a quarter.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:16 »
IIRC Silver Oxide.

alphadude

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:49 »
silver oxide? wtf  soft metals (silver, nickel etc.) are used to ensure a conformance to the available surface. ive changed about 30 or so o rings on reactor heads and scraped out about 10 and sent as rad waste about 25 and all were silvery in color with some of the inner alloy showing thru on the used ones. never seen any silver oxide.

silver oxide is a brown powder.  http://www.saltlakemetals.com/Silver_Oxide.htm
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008, 09:51 by alphadude »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?