Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I get in Operations? Civ, Non-ex Navy

Author Topic: How do I get in Operations? Civ, Non-ex Navy  (Read 8022 times)

Offline NewkPlebe

• Very Lite User
How do I get in Operations? Civ, Non-ex Navy
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:41 »
I feel like a Freshman on the first day of class.  Eager, but lost. In short of mailing my shoe to the Operations Manager.  How does does a civ get into the biz?  I'll sweep floors, if necessary.  Got 3 years electrical experience with a year in a chem plant.  Any info will help.

alphadude

Re: How do I get in Operations? Civ, Non-ex Navy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:08 »
easy way is to join the navy-

hard road is sucking up to anybody you know-

ops is a tuff cookie- they luvs thems ex navy nukes.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:41 »
My plant would eagerly hire you into ops if you have at least a 2 year technical degree. Barring that, security is another popular road to ops (longer and harder). Also, maybe you could get in via maintenance given your experience.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2008, 06:42 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:44 »
Industrial experience is key, in fact TVA puts a premium on it.
Did you take physics in High School?

Mike

jc

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:45 »
My plant would eagerly hire you into ops if you have at least a 2 year technical degree.
Which plant is that? Peach Bottom?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 01:17 »
In short of mailing my shoe to the Operations Manager. 

Sounds a little OCD there. Might not pass the MMPI...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:33 »
Which plant is that? Peach Bottom?

That is correct, sir. I did just find out that our next NLO class won't be until after our next outage which is next fall. We also had a big security hiring in the last few months, but I think they will be doing that again sooner than later.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2008, 08:34 by JustinHEMI »

Offline NewkPlebe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2009, 02:14 »
Thanks for all that responded...

AlphaDude - Unfortunately, can't join the Navy (Med. issue)

JustinHemi - Just starting my 2yr at LMC (M-tec)

Broadzilla - No physics in H.S.

And as for HydroDave63 - No the med. issue is not OCD. If you want to try to insult me? Please use the correct terms... The term I believe you were looking for was Attention Deficit Disorder - ADD. And no, that's not the issue either... I am starting to think that 63 is your Intelligence Quotient Rating, which translates that your mildly retar... Ooooh birdies... 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2009, 05:56 »
And as for HydroDave63 -

From the sound of the secondary explosions...I'd say the ordnance was on target !

Marssim.... ( cursor hovers over the Karma region...) ;)

On-topic: The 2 year degree should be fine to show you are on track in a utility-related field, and getting an interview should be likely. Ops will be an adventure!

dirac

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2009, 12:23 »
I feel like a Freshman on the first day of class.  Eager, but lost. In short of mailing my shoe to the Operations Manager.  How does does a civ get into the biz?  I'll sweep floors, if necessary.  Got 3 years electrical experience with a year in a chem plant.  Any info will help.

Its pretty easy actually. Just apply. For Ops there are several technical tests you'll need pass to get an interview. They tend to be relatively easily. The POSS tests are basic aptitude (can you read a graph, do simple math, etc) followed by plant specific tests on pumps, math, and basic thermo. They should provide you with some review material prior to the test. You'll need to pass an extensive background investigation too. I'm not sure what its like plant to plant but in general its not a requirement to have been in the navy. Plants are willing to take on people from all types of backgrounds as long as you can show that you have the basic understanding of plant operations and enthusiastic about working at a nuclear plant.. Trust me you will spend more then half your time in training once hired - for the rest of your career.

Also, just apply for any type of a job at the plant (chem tech, security, clerical, etc). If its a union plant you could bid into Ops later once you gotten the swing of things down.

Offline NewkPlebe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2009, 12:51 »
OK. First, I have to admit I jumped the gun on that one... My apologies to Hydro. I am big enough to admit when I make a mistake... I am still laughing at Marssim's stepchild comment. I also, want to thank Dirac.  Very informative... I got a Yoga book for Christmas.  I think I'll start reading...  ;D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2009, 04:22 »
...Works for me ;)

There are real people who LOVE to heckle and annoy at the plant, especially in Ops. It is good to know how to transcend them....

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2009, 05:59 »
Thanks for all that responded...

AlphaDude - Unfortunately, can't join the Navy (Med. issue)

JustinHemi - Just starting my 2yr at LMC (M-tec)

Broadzilla - No physics in H.S.

And as for HydroDave63 - No the med. issue is not OCD. If you want to try to insult me? Please use the correct terms... The term I believe you were looking for was Attention Deficit Disorder - ADD. And no, that's not the issue either... I am starting to think that 63 is your Intelligence Quotient Rating, which translates that your mildly retar... Ooooh birdies... 

Awesome keep us posted!

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?