Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ANSI 3.1 Qualifications  

Author Topic: ANSI 3.1 Qualifications  (Read 19204 times)

trschlueter

ANSI 3.1 Qualifications
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 03:41 »
I worked as a Senior Radiation Protection/Chemistry Technician for a Commercial Nuclear Plant for 21 years, (12 years of operating experience, 9 years decommissioning experience).  Upon completion of the decommissioning and the return of the plant to green field, I helped in the performance of the final status survey.  Rather than move from the area, I took an early retirement upon completion of the project.  My question is am I still qualified as an ANSI 3.1 senior technician after 2 years?  I retired in October of 2006.  I have decided to go on the road as a contract technician, and don't know if my qualifications are still current, and what I need to do to get back them back up.  I have copies of all my training received throughout my 21 years of work.  Any suggestions?  With the present state of the economy I need to work badly as my retirement has dwindled substantially!  Thanks for your help!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
Re: ANSI 3.1 Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 03:45 »
You should have no problem.  You will have to take whatever the entrance test dejour is, but besides that all is good.  You won't make them happy that you have not been badged at a facility as of late, but once that is done your okay.
LM

trschlueter

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 03:55 »
Thanks for the info, I put in for a job overseas, but am not sure whether I can put down that I am an ANSI 3.1 qualified tech?  Any advice?

RADBASTARD

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:08 »
what plant overseas's are you trying to go?

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:15 »
ANSI 3.1 is about experience not experience in last X years.  I don't think you will have a problem getting back in . 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:46 »
What plant did you help decommission?

trschlueter

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:49 »
I worked at Big Rock Point from 1985 to 2006.  Started out as a Chemistry/HP Tech and ended up as a teamleader/member of the final status survey team.  Collected and counted soil samples, scanned the ground after the last building and contractor was gone!
                                    Ted

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:05 »
I was there 2003-2004.  Big Rock holds a very special place in my heart.  It's where I met my husband. 

We also went to the celebration/reunion for GREEN.  It was really strange to see nothing but land.

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:59 »
Did they ever find the hot spots out where the old source facility was? I remember back in 80 I found spots that extended to the fence line and beyond. we decommissioned that area in 80 which basically was taking the fence down.

Valkrider

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:45 »
ANSI 3.1 is about experience not experience in last X years.  I don't think you will have a problem getting back in . 

This sounds right to me.  Good luck with the job search.

Offline Ginger Bread Woman

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:28 »
Check these out, you may find help here:

http:/www.iem-inc.com/toolpot.html
Look @ HPPOS No247 & 325
Rev 3 Reg. Guide 1.8 (NRC)*
ANSI/ANS-3.1-1993*

*ANSI N18.1-1971, Technical Specifications these have been updated several times and are in rev 3 or so

Plus in this sites forum: ANSI-3.1 - This in question again? something like that.

Also, don't let techs that have just worked Nukes demean you for DOE work if you have that experience, I worked for years Nuclear, then DOE then Nuke again. I loved both job fields because one its maintenance at a power house, basically the same job, a constant. The other  you  might just have to think. When you do demo work (DOE)sometimes the supervisors and the lead type techs find out info from you after the fact of taking a situation under control using your previous Nuke experience from making ANSI 3.1. (in the old days you had to actually have the time) the actual experience to make a decision. (plutonium so on and so forth. Hexafluoride,) and not pooping on the whole crew and crapping the total facility.

I believe 22 years should say you came into the industry 1985 or 86?
Mine is 1980 I was a Junior under Rapidray and many other old timers alot of the current Brunswick techs. But the time I spent with him is the most memorable.(he chose all women at VC Summer (80's) for his techs Not cause we was hot but because we had "permanently shaved respirator faces!" His training was if you do a job and you question what you should do to cover that job at any point than the thing to do is do it all. Doserates,smears airsamples, & do all the surveys in the area when your there so no one needs to spend more dose to go back where you already were covering a job. DOSE IS MONEY!! then he'd say and if you need me don't call me because I am on break, the object to this game is go in just do it and  come out smelling like a rose every time so everyone goes on break, and don't be afraid to make a decision. Well I hit the ground running and have never been responsible for any uptakes or overexposure's.
I do not work Nukes or DOE at present. I work near home I make LIME - RSO & environmental health & safety for the site. Health Physics has been very very good to my family.
I believe you are going to find that you need to keep your education updated, but after you have it why would you not keep it updated?

Good luck, Merry Christmas and God Bless you in you travels.
GBW aka Kathleen Wiggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?