Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Becoming the most marketable
honeypot

Author Topic: Becoming the most marketable  (Read 21245 times)

Offline chasesg

• Very Lite User
Becoming the most marketable
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:33 »
I've read hints and ideas throughout the threads but was looking for more direct advice from those in the commercial world, or just getting out. I just hit four years, four left. I just put on EM1, finished my Thomas Edison Degree (Curious as to why NR said it's not always desirable), and about to start qualifying PPWS (EWS). Does anyone know any good gradaute schools in either Charleston or New York, I'm thinking about going for an MBA. Or other schools in programs to enter now I am done with this degree. Basically I'm pretty driven to make myself the most marketable when I get out so I can make the most money, but reading this forum showed me I don't really know where I'm going. Looking for ideas in which job to try to shoot for and anything else I need to do in the second half of my enlistment.

wlrun3@aol.com

Re: Becoming the most marketable
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:44 »

..."Basically I'm pretty driven to make myself the most marketable when I get out so I can make the most money"

...i believe you...

...seriously, have you considered the major leagues...Columbia, NYU, Rensaeller, etc...

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008, 03:47 by wlrun3 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 05:09 »

..."Basically I'm pretty driven to make myself the most marketable when I get out so I can make the most money"

...seriously, have you considered the major leagues...Columbia, NYU, Rensaeller, etc...

- or -
University of South Carolina
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 05:26 »
How would NR know what is desirable outside the Navy? Any training helps, it might not help in intial marketability but it will help you get more technical depth which ALWAYS helps.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:35 »
I know right? That is the second time this week someone said something about "someone in the navy said..."

Justin

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:49 »
QAI/QAS have market value on the outside, if that interests you.

But at this point in your career ANYTHING you do could become a potential resume bullet.  RPPO, Training PO, LPO, and so on all have potential applications you can translate into a job application in the civilian world.  Just make sure you don't spread yourself thin and do a whole bunch of things - poorly.  At least as important as acquiring a given qualification or appointed position is WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISHED WITH IT.

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:27 »
- or -
University of South Carolina
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

...Nuclear Engineering
USC's nuclear engineering program has been ranked in the top 10 nationally in the most recent Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:13 »
I've read hints and ideas throughout the threads but was looking for more direct advice from those in the commercial world, or just getting out. I just hit four years, four left. I just put on EM1, finished my Thomas Edison Degree (Curious as to why NR said it's not always desirable), and about to start qualifying PPWS (EWS). Does anyone know any good gradaute schools in either Charleston or New York, I'm thinking about going for an MBA. Or other schools in programs to enter now I am done with this degree. Basically I'm pretty driven to make myself the most marketable when I get out so I can make the most money, but reading this forum showed me I don't really know where I'm going. Looking for ideas in which job to try to shoot for and anything else I need to do in the second half of my enlistment.

Sounds like you are on the right path. That EWS is key.

Justin

WNL III

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:56 »
BZ on finishing that degree. 

I was also considering going the MBA route after finishing my degree from sea.  A Regents Bachelors of Arts was not quite the Industrial Engineering degree that I originally set out to get.  I think that my feeling, at the time, was that the MBA would have been a way for me to somehow validate a degree that I felt was substandard.  Don't fall into that mindset.  In actuality, the lack of degree specificity allowed me to morph my first post-Navy position from technical to process to financial.   

You are now a college graduate.   An appropriate next step, in addition to pursuing the Navy qualifications, would be to look for industry certifications that could aid you in bridging the gap between Navy and industry.  There is a high demand for project managers that are PMI-PMP certified.  Any Nuke PO1 (ET/EM/MM) that has taken a carrier or submarine through a shipyard PIA (or greater) knows the meaning of critical path, and shouldn't have any problem passing the PMP exam with some studying.  There are prep courses offered as well.

Your marketability depends 100% on how you choose to market yourself.  Keep in mind that, as an ex Navy Nuke, your biggest value-add to any company will be your ability to teach yourself any subject, and do it quickly.  Control room or board room, remember that fact and build on it.

Offline chasesg

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:55 »
I really appreciate the advice from everyone. I guess I'm just thinking about doing the MBA becuase I can, on the Navy's (mostly) dollar. I will definitely look into the PMI/PMP certification.

Offline 1way

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:48 »
Look into NRRPT certification.  It is a well rounded certification, and as a Navy Nuke, you won't have any problem passing it. 

pimpizhere18

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:28 »
RPI, from what I've heard/understand, is quite the desirable Engineering Degree. It's not the kind of school that you would be able to take DL classes, rather the type of school that you sacrifice sleep/friends/fun etc in order to obtain this degree. I know quite a few people that are currently attending RPI, and it is not easy on the working Sailor. It does require a lot of dedication.

Offline nadinno

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2009, 11:48 »
I posted this in the training forum but think it is very relevant for you.

http://www.business.cudenver.edu/Community/News/stories/100708.htm

Read through the info and send them an email (I did) with your work and education history. They will let you know where you stand as far as your qualifications.

Some things to think about. 
1)  This degree is very specific to the industry though and is not as well rounded as a traditional mba.
2)  The schedule
3)  The cost
4)  This is a new  program and is untested. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:03 »
RPI, from what I've heard/understand, is quite the desirable Engineering Degree. It's not the kind of school that you would be able to take DL classes, rather the type of school that you sacrifice sleep/friends/fun etc in order to obtain this degree. I know quite a few people that are currently attending RPI, and it is not easy on the working Sailor. It does require a lot of dedication.

Desirable by whom?

Justin

pimpizhere18

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:45 »
Desirable by whom?

Justin

Well, from the guys that I work with that are either currently going and preparing to seperate or the ones that have completed their degree's and preparing to seperate:

"The offers Im starting to receive from potential jobs are very good. Majority of employers mention the fact that I have a degree from RPI, and I understand why: it's a degree from one of the top Engineering Schools in the country."

Everyone says that people in the Navy have no idea what they are talking about, and this could be true. But I've heard that from 3 people on seperate occasions (obviously not the exact words, but very similar) and it would lead me to believe that the degree you obtain from there is a very "desirable" degree. Correct me if im wrong.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2009, 11:18 »
Well, from the guys that I work with that are either currently going and preparing to seperate or the ones that have completed their degree's and preparing to seperate:

"The offers Im starting to receive from potential jobs are very good. Majority of employers mention the fact that I have a degree from RPI, and I understand why: it's a degree from one of the top Engineering Schools in the country."

Everyone says that people in the Navy have no idea what they are talking about, and this could be true. But I've heard that from 3 people on seperate occasions (obviously not the exact words, but very similar) and it would lead me to believe that the degree you obtain from there is a very "desirable" degree. Correct me if im wrong.

Not sure what desirable means that's all. More desirable than an equally accredited degree from another institution? They are deluding themselves.

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009, 11:20 by JustinHEMI »

Khak-Hater

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:25 »
Amen brother, I've known a couple dozen engineers with RPI degrees and none of them made more money than I did.  They do tend to be very impressed with themselves though, but that's not necessarily a good thing.  Learning something useful is far more important than where the degree is from. 

As far as the MBA goes, it probably doesn't make you more marketable for most line management positions [they're kind of a dime a dozen among boomers], but it does come in handy if you want to start your own company someday or maybe go into business development for a small contracting company after you get your feet on the ground professionally.  I have absolutely no business training, and it has kind of limited my development in some ways.

Good luck,

mgm

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:32 »
  They do tend to be very impressed with themselves though

Couldn't agree more.

Justin

number41

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:09 »
Justin, you KNEW I had to jump in on this one!  Anyway, as a guy who actually has the RPI degree and is qualified EOOW/EWS, I have to admit, I think my Navy quals and time were more important to employers than my degree.  Don't get me wrong, a degree always helps, but unless you are staying in the Northeast, alot of people will not have any idea what RPI is anyway.  Definitely continue to score free education from the Nav, but try to collect a degree from an ABET accredited program.  That IS something that people will look for because (I'm nearly certain) the ACAD guidlines require the program to be an ABET program.  Honestly though, get PPWS/EWS qualified ASAP and continue to collect qualifications and experience leading teams.  Those seem to be important.  Besides, a lot of companies will assist in getting your advanced degree and you can always use your GI Bill/College fund to supplement that. 

number41

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:15 »
One other thing I just thought of to illustrate the point:  Excelon HR reps told us (an RPI career fair group) that they "will not hire direct SRO's based-on a master's degree."  To paraphrase the rest, they basically told us that with a Master's degree, you may start at a little higher salary, but you're still going to be an AO or an engineeer just like everybody else.  But if you've got >2 years as EOOW/EWS/PPWS, then they would entertain the direct SRO option.  Of course, that's not to say that SRO is the end all be all of the civilian nuclear experience, but it's close!(Sorry, I couldn't resist).  Anyway, a guy that worked with me at KAPL/NNPTU in Ny got his master's in NukeE from RPI and he couldn't get an SRO offer from a civilian plant, so he had to go with his second choice and take an offer at the WIPP plant out west (New Mexico, I think.)  Anyway, keep working hard to make yourself "better" and you'll be fine.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2009, 02:58 »
Justin, you KNEW I had to jump in on this one!  Anyway, as a guy who actually has the RPI degree and is qualified EOOW/EWS, I have to admit, I think my Navy quals and time were more important to employers than my degree.  Don't get me wrong, a degree always helps, but unless you are staying in the Northeast, alot of people will not have any idea what RPI is anyway.  Definitely continue to score free education from the Nav, but try to collect a degree from an ABET accredited program.  That IS something that people will look for because (I'm nearly certain) the ACAD guidlines require the program to be an ABET program.  Honestly though, get PPWS/EWS qualified ASAP and continue to collect qualifications and experience leading teams.  Those seem to be important.  Besides, a lot of companies will assist in getting your advanced degree and you can always use your GI Bill/College fund to supplement that. 

Yes. :) That is correct, there is nothing wrong with any degree and if you can get it, do it. Just trying to dispell the myths that the RPI degree is some holy grail of degrees.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2009, 03:01 »
One other thing I just thought of to illustrate the point:  Excelon HR reps told us (an RPI career fair group) that they "will not hire direct SRO's based-on a master's degree."  To paraphrase the rest, they basically told us that with a Master's degree, you may start at a little higher salary, but you're still going to be an AO or an engineeer just like everybody else.  But if you've got >2 years as EOOW/EWS/PPWS, then they would entertain the direct SRO option.  Of course, that's not to say that SRO is the end all be all of the civilian nuclear experience, but it's close!(Sorry, I couldn't resist).  Anyway, a guy that worked with me at KAPL/NNPTU in Ny got his master's in NukeE from RPI and he couldn't get an SRO offer from a civilian plant, so he had to go with his second choice and take an offer at the WIPP plant out west (New Mexico, I think.)  Anyway, keep working hard to make yourself "better" and you'll be fine.

Yup its true. At Palo Verde the AO class I taught math/physics to had one RPI degree, two physics degrees and a couple chemical/mechanical engineering degrees.

Further evidence that all navy nukes are entry level.

Justin

number41

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:08 »
Just trying to dispell the myths that the RPI degree is some holy grail of degrees.

Justin

Hold on now.... I never said that!  Of course it's the Holy Grail of degrees, the civilian power industry hasn't realized it yet! ;D 
Actually, there was one (manufacturing) company that had an RPI Alumnus in my interview that made reference to the fact I must be "a good candidate" because of my school affiliation.  However, I don't actually believe that they were going to offer me a job just because of that.  They should have, but they didn't!  BTW, just yanking your chain Justin.  We actually have several guys here that have Master's Degrees in (insert field) and they are "plain old engineers" and AO's.  I think most of them could move into license jobs if they wanted to, but they're happy where they are. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:41 »
Hold on now.... I never said that!  Of course it's the Holy Grail of degrees, the civilian power industry hasn't realized it yet! ;D 
Actually, there was one (manufacturing) company that had an RPI Alumnus in my interview that made reference to the fact I must be "a good candidate" because of my school affiliation.  However, I don't actually believe that they were going to offer me a job just because of that.  They should have, but they didn't!  BTW, just yanking your chain Justin.  We actually have several guys here that have Master's Degrees in (insert field) and they are "plain old engineers" and AO's.  I think most of them could move into license jobs if they wanted to, but they're happy where they are. 

Its a different world, as you know. I wish I knew what I know now when I was getting out... things would be different.

Justin

number41

« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:55 »
Not me.  Maybe I'll gain the clarity that you have after some more time, but I'm still finding that I can't wait to be an SRO.  I've made it my personal goal to retiere as a plant manager or above.  I think that was your original goal, right?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?