Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Becoming the most marketable  

Author Topic: Becoming the most marketable  (Read 21258 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: Becoming the most marketable
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:07 »
Not me.  Maybe I'll gain the clarity that you have after some more time, but I'm still finding that I can't wait to be an SRO.  I've made it my personal goal to retiere as a plant manager or above.  I think that was your original goal, right?

Yes, was being the operative word.  ;)

Offline chasesg

• Very Lite User
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:25 »
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm starting PPWS next week-in the spotlight-becuase an there hasn't been a non-khaki electrian PPWS on my ship since I've been here. I think I'll try to get a masters degree while at prototype just becuase I don't see any reason to pass up on the opportunity. I have heard that RPI is a good engeering school, but I've already went to a university with better engineering programs and accumulated 30,000 in debt I'm still paying viciously to discover I don't want to be an engineer. I also remeber someone saying that the only reason a TESC degree would hurt me is becuase it doesn't require calculus based physics-but I had transfered Physics for Engineers (calculus based) and a year of calc from the unviersity I attended pre-Navy, would that satisfy the requirement for a STA position down the road? Are the infamous direct SRO offers mainly dependent on plant need and only offered by few plants; assuming you meet whatever is the desired criteria i.e. education and PPWS?

co60slr

« Reply #27 on: Jun 17, 2009, 08:56 »
I've read hints and ideas throughout the threads but was looking for more direct advice from those in the commercial world, or just getting out. I just hit four years, four left. I just put on EM1, finished my Thomas Edison Degree (Curious as to why NR said it's not always desirable), and about to start qualifying PPWS (EWS). Does anyone know any good graduate schools in either Charleston or New York, I'm thinking about going for an MBA. Or other schools in programs to enter now I am done with this degree. Basically I'm pretty driven to make myself the most marketable when I get out so I can make the most money, but reading this forum showed me I don't really know where I'm going. Looking for ideas in which job to try to shoot for and anything else I need to do in the second half of my enlistment.

The issue has nothing to do with NR.  The Federal (OPM) hiring guidelines for nuclear engineers (GS-840 Series) has very specific hiring prerequisites, one of which is an "ABET accredited" degree.  Since the TESC is not ABET, it becomes a hurdle for those looking for civilian GS engineering jobs (DOD, DOE, NRC, etc).  The Excelsior degree is ABET accredited, which causes the typical nuke to need a few more classes for the same degree. 

The good news for those desiring commercial nuclear employment after the Navy is that TESC BSAST degree counts as an "engineering technical degree" (at many nuclear utilities anyway).   What does that mean?  You can qualify Shift Technical Adviser and also complete an advanced engineering qualification (see 10CFR50.59).  The "50.59 qual" lets you get to put your name "on the line" that a plant modification does/does not violate the license requirements.  Perhaps equivalent to the Navy "LAR" process...you get to answer an "LAR" for your utility given a design change request.  Good deal, not-so-good deal....that up to you to decide.  TESC is a technical degree for employment purposes...however, see other threads about prereqs for direct SRO ILT (which are clearly defined by the NRC...don't leave the Navy without 3 years as EOOW or EWS.  Period!).

Other threads here talk about engineering, engineering technology degrees, and even much discussion about RPI.  RPI is a good deal for nukes in that the NY Prototype works with RPI for the ambitious sailor to get his/her degree during the NY tour.  I've never heard of anyone getting hired specifically because of one engineering college over another; however, we all know RPI is a respected school.  Does that matter to commercial utilities...doubtful.  If you're in NY and don't have a degree...then you're dink.

What path do you go down?  If you want to get into design/reactor engineering then you obviously need that training (i.e., full engineering degree)...AND...most likely a Professional Engineering (PE) license.  (You can see this prereq in many utilities' job postings).  No...you can't design a reactor with a TESC degree.  If you want to see the most opportunities laid before you (commercial, DOE, federal government) then get a full ABET engineering degree so you don't force HR Reps to try to interpret and "squeeze you into" the system.   If you want to springboard your career from the Navy, say that you have a "bachelor's degree", and demonstrate your commitment to "continuous learning", then the TESC (et al) degree works fine.   Can you become a Plant Manager one day with a TESC degree?   Unlikely in the past, but we'll see with the new generation of nukes on the rise.  However, don't forget to leave your "Navy Ego" at PSD when you separate.  (I'll save that thought for a future thread).  Bring us your work ethic, hard charging attitude, a desire to learn commercial nuclear power, a willingness to accept that the NNPP and Commercial Nuclear are two different engineering programs with two distinct missions...and you'll do just fine.  Show up to your company and complain why they can't "do it like the Navy does" and as Broadzilla says in another thread...you're qualified to be a janitor.

Graduate School.  MBA vs Engineering Programs?   As posted in other threads, ODU (Norfolk, VA), SMU (Dallas, TX), Oregon State, (et al) have great distance programs.  SMU in particular accepts the TESC (non-ABET) degree and allows you to work for a full MS Engineering degree (that is ABET).  So, once you complete an ABET Master's degree...you've met that federal OPM hurdle.  (Good news for those now with TESC degrees).  Also in other threads...be careful of switching to the new GI bill.  Private college tuition may be out of your financial reach where the VA currently pays the $1600/class tuition for SMU classes.  Engineering Management degrees carry business courses (e.g., engineering accounting, engineering finance) if you want to tack on those skills.  If your passion lies in the business office of an engineering firm, then grab the MBA.   Bottom line:  do something!  Especially if you have 36 months of GI Bill benefits that you haven't touched yet.  Demonstrating "continuous learning" is the key.

Leaving the Navy without a degree?  (Also discussed by a few guys and their wives in some threads).  You didn't plan adequately, in my opinion.   "I'm too busy", "My command wouldn't let me", "I was at sea", etc, etc....please don't reply here with your reasons.  We've all been there and one has to work out how to "get 'er done".   Giving us your excuses here doesn't help you.  So...for those with 4 years left on an enlistment...the hardest part about a college degree as a nuke is making the decision to start.  If you think you can convince a company's HR rep otherwise based on all your Navy collateral duties, then good luck.  My utility just hired about 25 of us...ranging from E-6 to O-6.  If you think your resume's "key words" are going to "trick the system", most people here are ex-Navy and understand how to read a resume from one that is motivated, and one that hasn't been as much.

So, are you leaving the Navy in four years?  Draft what you want your resume to say...NOW.  Then post it on your bathroom mirror for review every morning, and make it happen.

Co60

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?