Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Which browser do you use?

Poll

What internet browser do you use, and why?

Internet Explorer
10 (50%)
Firefox
9 (45%)
Opera
0 (0%)
Chrome
0 (0%)
Safari
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Jan 23, 2009, 07:09

Author Topic: Which browser do you use?  (Read 6601 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Which browser do you use?
« on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:09 »

I've been a Microsoft supporter for almost as long as I've used a "PC".  I started on a commodore 64, which ran "Microsoft Basic v2.0", however I wasn't aware of the fact that "Commodore Basic V2.0" was a Microsoft product.  Back then I used a "300 Baud" modem to run my own "BBS"... those were the pre-internet days...

In 1995 I purchased an IBM Aptiva, which ran windows 95, on a Pentium I.  It did so very badly, because IBM is one of those Microsoft haters, and offered every type of non-Microsoft software they could get on the machine.  The machine kept crashing. -- To make things worse, I was one of those adventuress kids that would download beta software.  -- I learned 2 things: 1: NEVER use beta software for your operating system, or anything tied closely to your operating system. And 2: if you can... run all Microsoft software, and you will have less crashes.

I've been living by that mantra for over 13 years now, and I'm happy to say, every year I have less and less crashes. [knock] [knock] [knock].

Ok, that brings me to today.  I have been having 'speed' issues with IE7 (that's internet explorer version 7).  Nothing I tried helped.  So for fun, I downloaded the latest version of Google's "Chrome" browser today and tried it out AGAIN.  I found two interesting things.  1: The browser DOES render NukeWorker.com a lot faster than IE7, and 2: It has a built in spell check that underlines in red (like MS Word) any word that it thinks is spelled wrong.

So... I just might start using this Chrome browser as my default browser of choice, it really is a lot faster.  Especially with things like our facility info/map software, and when you click preview..

Here are some links to IE's competitors (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari).

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2009, 04:32 by Rennhack »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Which brouser do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:17 »

ahh, the memories.... slap in the 64K flash memory box on the side of the ol' Commodore 128, typing in the RUN *,8 [or some such line] to run whatever program was in the external tape recorder drive or 5.25" floppy drive (usually either Pirates,Red Storm Rising or NukeWar)......

back on topic... I run IE6 because most sites are still *optimized* for IE, but IE7 is a memory hog and I run old legacy machines until they die twice. I love using Firefox for YouTube downloads, but Firefox simultaneous with IE ends up being bad juju due to excess file handle usage in XP (did I mention that I'll go back to Mac before I would use Windows ChulaVista? ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2008, 02:40 by HydroDave63 »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Which browser do you use?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:50 »
I'm using Internet Explorer now, because I have a company-provided laptop & that's what it came with...

When I'm on my own computers, it's Firefox...seems to be more mal-ware resistant.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2008, 03:30 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

psmarz

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:37 »
Firefox is my preference.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2008, 10:09 »
mozilla firefox.  werks good on dis dell laptop 'n keeps trubble out of it.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2008, 01:17 »
Firefox.

Justin

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:15 »
Have you firefox fanboys TRIED Chrome?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:11 »
I'm giving it a try, wish we could use something besides Internet Exploder at work. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

withroaj

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:30 »
I thought Chrome still had some gaping security issues (not that IE doesn't) and was not to be trusted.  Something about google's pursuit of ALL information on the planet allowing a simple search to get a Chrome user's vital data (numbers, passwords and such).

I downloaded Safari and I like it, but I still gravitate back to IE7.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2008, 03:07 »
I thought Chrome still had some gaping security issues (not that IE doesn't) and was not to be trusted.  Something about google's pursuit of ALL information on the planet allowing a simple search to get a Chrome user's vital data (numbers, passwords and such).
I'm no security expert, all i know is that it's out of beta, and it loads a page in 8 sec, instead of 30 sec with IE.  And it has spell check.  I also like it's smart 'homepage'. And it's small impact on my little screen.

I downloaded Safari and I like it, but I still gravitate back to IE7.
Prior to my getting sick of the slow load times in IE, I would download the other software, and see what NukeWorker looked like in it.  Then I would go back to IE.

Change is hard.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2008, 12:28 »
Why would I try a new browser when perfection has already been achieved? What does chrome have to offer me that FF modified to my liking does not?

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2008, 12:29 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:14 »
Well, I've used chrome for about a week now.  Here are my observations:

They rushed it out of beta, there are still some bugs.  It works great with NukeWorker.com, it loads the site twice as fast as Firefox, and 5 or 6 times as fast as internet explorer.

However, Other sites don't always operate correctly, like the logo tournament site doesn't work with chrome, but it does with Firefox and IE.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:18 »
I have to tell you, after using IE for so long, the speed of Firefox and chrome are a little astounding.  I'm going to try Firefox now for a while.  It is very fast as well, and also tells me when I have a typo.  Plus it works on some sites that chrome (rushed out of beta) doesn't.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:22 »
I've found (no surprise) that chrome works instantly with Google maps (like the one in our facility info section), while Firefox is a much slower load of new map data.

However, the page load times of 'normal' pages looks a little faster in FF.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:57 »
Firefox.  Our oldest does IT for a living and he put it on our machine several years ago.  As others have said, it runs good and seems to shield against bad stuff better than IE.  In fact he just updated our Firefox over Christmas and it's better than ever.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:27 »
Browser? IE at work and Firefox at home. I would use IE at home but it's a 64 bit platform not supported by Adobe Flash so I downloaded Firefox to use untill Adobe can come up with Flash 11. Chrome you say? Never heard of it but I certainly will try it. Mac? Isn't that the guy that works with Bub down at the garage?
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:45 »
When the site lets me come in from the cold and use their computer, I find that it's always IE.  I have Firefox at home and use it exclusively.  My company sent out a warning about Chrome when it first was released.  The warning was basically a never use on their equipment and was based on the beta version.  So I never installed it, not wanting to crash my own equipment and most sites won't let me alter theirs.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:13 »
When the site lets me come in from the cold and use their computer, I find that it's always IE.  I have Firefox at home and use it exclusively.  My company sent out a warning about Chrome when it first was released.  The warning was basically a never use on their equipment and was based on the beta version.  So I never installed it, not wanting to crash my own equipment and most sites won't let me alter theirs.

From my experiments, Chrome isn't ready for prime time yet.  It was rushed out of beta before it really should have been.  It doesn't even have back and forward history.

So far, FF looks to be the fastest that has all the bells. (But Chrome IS faster with Google maps, and other things like that).

There is just no reason for IE to be so slow.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2008, 10:14 by Rennhack »

RNN

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:23 »
I use Fire Fox and IE7 both I have been looking at new browsers and I came across one called Avant that I'm going to try.

Has anyone used it yet and if so is it a good one?

IE is slow and I don't really like FF but it is faster.

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:00 »
Firefox and Opera.
Back in the day the Oakland Raiders had a browser which I used to love to use regardless of the browser speed!

Mike

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2008, 06:45 »
I have been looking at new browsers and I came across one called Avant that I'm going to try.

Avant actually uses the IE rendering engine, and just wraps their own user interface around it.  The creator also has a project that uses the FF rendering engine.

The original goal of Avant was to give IE some of the opera functions.

withroaj

« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2009, 02:48 »
Thirty seconds with Firefox and I'm a believer.  Guess I'll delete Chrome until google gets all of the kinks worked out.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:51 »
Great thread!

Many years ago i had a ton of security problems with IE. I found out about Firefox and checked it out. It was loaded with features that IE incorporated much later, like tabs and plug ins. Security IMO was much better and due to its open source status, fixes came quickly. I've never turned back.

I use IE at work but at home I'm totally a Firefox fan.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:42 »
Great thread!

I use IE at work but at home I'm totally a Firefox fan.

Ditto - thanks to you guys, I am now a firefox user....lots quicker, no popups, adware stuff seems not to be present...

Now to get rid of IE.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:49 »
I just downloaded the Release candidate for Internet Explorer 8.  It is a LOT faster than 7 was.

However, it has a compatiability feature that seems more anoying than helpful.  We'll test it and see.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2009, 04:51 by Rennhack »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?