Reference, Questions and Help > Computer Help

Which browser do you use?

(1/6) > >>

Rennhack:

I've been a Microsoft supporter for almost as long as I've used a "PC".  I started on a commodore 64, which ran "Microsoft Basic v2.0", however I wasn't aware of the fact that "Commodore Basic V2.0" was a Microsoft product.  Back then I used a "300 Baud" modem to run my own "BBS"... those were the pre-internet days...

In 1995 I purchased an IBM Aptiva, which ran windows 95, on a Pentium I.  It did so very badly, because IBM is one of those Microsoft haters, and offered every type of non-Microsoft software they could get on the machine.  The machine kept crashing. -- To make things worse, I was one of those adventuress kids that would download beta software.  -- I learned 2 things: 1: NEVER use beta software for your operating system, or anything tied closely to your operating system. And 2: if you can... run all Microsoft software, and you will have less crashes.

I've been living by that mantra for over 13 years now, and I'm happy to say, every year I have less and less crashes. [knock] [knock] [knock].

Ok, that brings me to today.  I have been having 'speed' issues with IE7 (that's internet explorer version 7).  Nothing I tried helped.  So for fun, I downloaded the latest version of Google's "Chrome" browser today and tried it out AGAIN.  I found two interesting things.  1: The browser DOES render NukeWorker.com a lot faster than IE7, and 2: It has a built in spell check that underlines in red (like MS Word) any word that it thinks is spelled wrong.

So... I just might start using this Chrome browser as my default browser of choice, it really is a lot faster.  Especially with things like our facility info/map software, and when you click preview..

Here are some links to IE's competitors (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari).

HydroDave63:

ahh, the memories.... slap in the 64K flash memory box on the side of the ol' Commodore 128, typing in the RUN *,8 [or some such line] to run whatever program was in the external tape recorder drive or 5.25" floppy drive (usually either Pirates,Red Storm Rising or NukeWar)......

back on topic... I run IE6 because most sites are still *optimized* for IE, but IE7 is a memory hog and I run old legacy machines until they die twice. I love using Firefox for YouTube downloads, but Firefox simultaneous with IE ends up being bad juju due to excess file handle usage in XP (did I mention that I'll go back to Mac before I would use Windows ChulaVista? ;)

UncaBuffalo:
I'm using Internet Explorer now, because I have a company-provided laptop & that's what it came with...

When I'm on my own computers, it's Firefox...seems to be more mal-ware resistant.

psmarz:
Firefox is my preference.

SloGlo:
mozilla firefox.  werks good on dis dell laptop 'n keeps trubble out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version