Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TSA Twic required? honeypot

Author Topic: TSA Twic required?  (Read 5617 times)

Yurij

TSA Twic required?
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:51 »
Does anyone know or has heard whether Nukes will be requiring TWIC's?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: TSA Twic required?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:48 »
No.  Nukes will not require TWIC's.  Nukes have nothing at all to do with transportation.  The background investigation and clearance process required is a little more extensive.  Nukes still require drug testing, psychological evaluation, credit checks, criminal record checks as well as the actual need for access (you need to get a job at a nuke before you can apply for a clearance - not so with TWIC)

A TWIC will never be sufficient to get a nuke clearance, and current access to a nuke won't make it any cheaper, quicker, or easier to get a TWIC - at least not for you and me, maybe for the government because you will have a file already open.

But, since you opened the subject, wouldn't it be nice if nukes would adopt the concept that one federally issued credential would be sufficient for access to all sites?  Doesn't it make sense to not have to reinvent the wheel every couple of weeks?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:44 »
Make sense, yes. That makes it less likely to happen, not more so.

Cynicism aside, don't you know that a nuke is likely to get his universal clearance and suddenly become untrustworthy?

OK, so the cynicism didn't go very far when I put it aside. Just proves I am not trustworthy, I guess.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:55 »
Yeah, how was that FBI interview?  Did they ever find the driller?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:30 »
Yeah, how was that FBI interview?  Did they ever find the driller?

The interview went just fine. I had both agents laughing at the end of it. They asked me if I used power tools in my job and I told them that HPs weren't allowed to play with sharp objects. I also told them that an HP couldn't have done it because they never would have found it prior to start up if that had been the case.

The shrink was in such a hurry to catch his plane that he barely spoke to me. Doing the ENTIRE background investigation paperwork was the real pain in the butt. I never said it wouldn't be helpful, just that being such a good idea is a strike against its odds of occurring.

No, they never found out who did it (at least not that I know of.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NuclearNate

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:50 »
reinventing the wheel every week just keeps people employed... in this struggling economy, why would you wish for anything less... sigh (sarcasm)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?