Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu And "clean coal" will be better than nuclear...  

Author Topic: And "clean coal" will be better than nuclear...  (Read 14826 times)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
And "clean coal" will be better than nuclear...
« on: Dec 27, 2008, 11:03 »
Looks like the BILLION gallons of coal ash sludge will take a long time to clean up....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/26/tennessee.sludge/index.html

I can't imagine a scenario where a nuke could do this much damage, and get off lightly....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

WNL III

Re: And "clean coal" will be better than nuclear...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2008, 12:03 »
It's not the first time that this has happened.

I would be remiss as a WVU Alum to not mention the Buffalo Creek Flood of 1972.

http://www.wvculture.org/hiStory/buffcreek/buff1.html

The anti-nuclear crowd needs to realize that any alternative power source will require compromise of some kind.

Nuclear, coal, natural gas, co-gen, solar, wind(yes, even wind), you name it, all have their potential benefits and drawbacks.  Each one, in my opinion, has an appropriate application somewhere in this great country.

alphadude

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2008, 03:34 »
unfortunately the coal crowd is the nuclear crowd too. thems that owns coal owns nuke. I hope Hyperion Kicks sum butt with their nuke battery.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2008, 12:29 »
Better clean coal IGCC has been around for ages, check out this prototype:

http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/coalpower/cctc/summaries/wabsh/wabashrdemo.html

40+% thermal efficiency, no stupid slag piles or $400 million dollar baghouse setup. Invented here, being used overseas.

Offline guppy

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2008, 05:11 »
Does anyone know who is doing the cleanup in Tennessee?
Keep honking.  I'm reloading.

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:57 »
Does anyone know who is doing the cleanup in Tennessee?

TVA was in town yesterday for a community forum.  They had good turnout.  Right now they are still assessing the damage and clearing some roads.

Offline USMCRADCON

• Light User
  • Will train for spare change
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:30 »
HEPACO is performing some of the work.
"Welcome to the show, you are now officially one of Jerry's Kids"

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:21 »

The anti-nuclear crowd needs to realize that any alternative power source will require compromise of some kind.

Nuclear, coal, natural gas, co-gen, solar, wind(yes, even wind), you name it, all have their potential benefits and drawbacks.  Each one, in my opinion, has an appropriate application somewhere in this great country.

A quick shot of some compromise...

For the record I'm not opposed to wind power (hell, I'm going to put a turbine in my back yard once I can find a community with a HOA that allows it), but I'm not buying it as the answer to our energy problems, strictly based on MWe/acre.

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:40 »
what if you just took care of your energy problems??? imagine the tears that would come from the utilities...remember the utilities lobbied to prevent the home power producer from putting surplus on the grid. fortunately some laws were passed to stop that.

Offline Woolyman

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:03 »
Clean What... Coal!? 1 Lb. U235 + H2O can equal 25,000 TONS of Coal!!!! right or wrong? Plz explain your anwser.

Keln

« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:49 »
Speaking of wind turbines...

Supposedly a UFO did it. I'm not a big believer in little green men taking joyrides at night so that cooks can get interviews with tabloids, but I guess technically if something is flying, and you don't know what it is, it's a UFO...right?

Any way, story here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/ufos/article2108149.ece

This must be one of the drawbacks to windpower. A cooling tower at a nuke plant would have taken that UFO down...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009, 03:39 »
The UFO migratory routes must have been left out of the environmental impact statement.

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:12 »
PPP can strike anywhere.
No need to be hating coal, wind, or nuke.
I like the battery idea and have no qualms about coal gasification.
The current nuclear and coal plants are our cheapest sources.
The one that I hate to see a bunch of is Simple Cycle Gas Turbines. They are very expensive. The plus side is that they are fast to start, so they are helpful in the summer.
My only problem with nuclear is the lack of storage/recycling of the fuel in this country.

Wind turbines are fine. Farmers don't seem to mind them in the fields. They plow around them just fine. The dead birds and bats add extra nutrients to the soil. ;)

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:37 »

Wind turbines are fine. Farmers don't seem to mind them in the fields. They plow around them just fine. The dead birds and bats add extra nutrients to the soil. ;)
Do you have pictures of agricultural farms with wind turbines on them?  I am unaware of this arrangement.  The wind turbines I am familiar with require roads to the turbine for construction and maintenance.  This would take land out of production for the farmer.  Yes, I realize that farmers are businessmen and that the biggest dollar per acre wins.  However, I don't know of farmers with turbines in their fields that they plow around.  So I would appreciate the pictures.   
Thanks.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:07 »
Do you have pictures of agricultural farms with wind turbines on them?  I am unaware of this arrangement.  The wind turbines I am familiar with require roads to the turbine for construction and maintenance.  This would take land out of production for the farmer.  Yes, I realize that farmers are businessmen and that the biggest dollar per acre wins.  However, I don't know of farmers with turbines in their fields that they plow around.  So I would appreciate the pictures.   
Thanks.

For crops that do not need cross pollination it might work, but I thought plants liked classical music not droning

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:36 »
do a search on youtube for homemade wind turbines. they are very cool and it looks like a project i might look into this summer.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:38 »
Thanks.

I don't have a photo. But back home between Linn Grove and Storm Lake IA there is a wind farm about five mi wide and 20 mi long. The towers are in feilds but on the edges so as not to have a road cutting through the feild. Since there is a east-west or north-south road every 1 mi it seems to work.

jc

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:54 »
Do you have pictures of agricultural farms with wind turbines on them?  I am unaware of this arrangement.

This is a Google Maps view of the Cerro Gordo wind farm in Iowa. It's located entirely within corn and bean fields, complete with access roads for the turbines. You can zoom out and see the whole thing:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.047597,-93.427005&spn=0.013737,0.033045&z=16

Scroll down to Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, on this page for the details. Note the picture: http://www.alliantenergy.com/docs/groups/public/documents/pub/p014405.hcsp

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2009, 03:57 by jc »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:56 »
And if there is no farm around, mount it at the union hall in the city...

http://www.ibew.org/articles/05journal/0509/p14_windmill.htm

;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:59 »
And if there is no farm around, mount it at the union hall in the city...

http://www.ibew.org/articles/05journal/0509/p14_windmill.htm

;)

gist don't put it inna wahtar outside teddy's cape cod summer haus
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:23 »
No one has mentioned ICE on the propeller blades.  That is a big problem too.
Or UFOs....
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2009, 10:29 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?