Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu signing bonus

Author Topic: signing bonus  (Read 25869 times)

robby1moore

signing bonus
« on: Dec 28, 2008, 05:34 »
Im 20 years old and thinking of going into navy nukes (waiting for the recruiters to get back from Christmas holiday). But what i was wondering was when do you get the signing bonus? Ive read online that you get it about 3 weeks after swearing in, however I was told you swear in at MEPS and after boot camp does anyone know which this refers to?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: signing bonus
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2008, 05:58 »
Im 20 years old and thinking of going into navy nukes (waiting for the recruiters to get back from Christmas holiday). But what i was wondering was when do you get the signing bonus? Ive read online that you get it about 3 weeks after swearing in, however I was told you swear in at MEPS and after boot camp does anyone know which this refers to?

You don't get your bonus unless you finish all three schools.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008, 12:22 »
Didn't they change it to where it is split up, a little after each school now? I guess they figured they could get more suckers enlistees that way.  :P

Either way, the OP is a LONG time away from getting a bonus. Think about it, they aren't going to give you a fat check just for saying you will do your best and swearing to God and Country. That is what is known as a bad business model. They will give you that fat check only after you have actually complete the required portion of your contract.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2008, 12:26 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:49 »
Didn't they change it to where it is split up, a little after each school now? I guess they figured they could get more suckers enlistees that way.  :P

Either way, the OP is a LONG time away from getting a bonus. Think about it, they aren't going to give you a fat check just for saying you will do your best and swearing to God and Country. That is what is known as a bad business model. They will give you that fat check only after you have actually complete the required portion of your contract.

Justin

They give out a portion(I believe half) upon graduation from NPS.  The reasoning was that sailors could use that money to help establish habitable living conditions during Prototype such as furniture, deposits for apartments, etc.  Not sure how several hundred dollar paintball guns and new fangled laptops make for better living, but what do I know.

As far as the bad business model, do we really want to jump on that subject after the recent round of government bailouts investments.  It just shows that the government philosophy is to keep throwing increasing amounts of money at a problem until it either fixes itself or it gets put on the back burner due to a larger problem.  I will now leave that subject alone least it gets moved to the PolySci portion of Nukeworker.com.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2009, 01:21 »
The bonus is split up now.  You receive 1/3 upon completion of NNPS, and the other 2/3s after prototype.  Seems odd that anyone would care much about extra financing for furniture and such.  Most people I went through prototype with roomed with several others in order to pocket most of their BAH; then they all bought new TVs, gaming systems, and computers.  Doesn't matter much either way I guess.  With the minimum bonus at $21k now just worry about finishing school and investing it is something better than what the government is doing.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:30 »
The bonus is split up now.  You receive 1/3 upon completion of NNPS, and the other 2/3s after prototype.  Seems odd that anyone would care much about extra financing for furniture and such.  Most people I went through prototype with roomed with several others in order to pocket most of their BAH; then they all bought new TVs, gaming systems, and computers.  Doesn't matter much either way I guess.  With the minimum bonus at $21k now just worry about finishing school and investing it is something better than what the government is doing.

If you fail to qualify at NPTU, do they go back and recoup the 1/3 paid after finishing NNPS?

I know nuke officers get an accession once selected for the program.  They then get some more money after finishing at NPTU.... However, if they fail out of the pipeline due to lack of effort, the accession bonus can be recouped.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 01:20 »
No that is what is crazy about the bonus now.  If you finish power school you get 1/3.  If you fail out at prototype then you don't get the last 2/3s but you get to keep what you have received up to that point.  Good deal if you ask me.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:55 »
Currently bonuses are paid in either two or three installments, depending on your situation.
If you have a college kicker, then you receive 20% of the entire bonus (kicker added) while in NFAS.
I received mine a week into NFAS. $5,000 pre-tax out of $25k.

After NPS I will receive 33% of the remaining balance, then the rest is paid after NPTU.

If you are picked up for STA-21 and can finish NPTU, then you keep every dime.

If you have no college kicker, then you receive nothing while in NFAS or after it.
After NPS you will receive 33% of the remaining balance, then the rest is paid after NPTU.

Also, only college hours earned at the time of DEPing into the Navy count toward the tiered college kicker.
Any hours or degree earned prior to ship will not be paid, even if its in your contract.
I speak from personal experience.  :-[

Best Regards.

Wirebiter

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:31 »

Also, only college hours earned at the time of DEPing into the Navy count toward the tiered college kicker.
Any hours or degree earned prior to ship will not be paid, even if its in your contract.
I speak from personal experience.  :-[

That is F@#+%d up.  Why even take classes after you DEP?  Gotta love whatever logic went in to that decision! >:(

TheObiJuan

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:05 »
Because if I didn't take those other classes I would not have received my degree? ;)
There's plenty of logic in getting a degree when you're 99% there. Navy compensation was irrelevant at that point; it would have just been a perk.

Wirebiter

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:37 »
Because if I didn't take those other classes I would not have received my degree? ;)
There's plenty of logic in getting a degree when you're 99% there. Navy compensation was irrelevant at that point; it would have just been a perk.

If you could have completed your degree before you swear in, why not look into going the officer route?    I am not bashing your decision, just that I know more people fighting to get out of the Navy with a 4 year degree, than I know of people trying to get in with one.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 02:30 »
If you could have completed your degree before you swear in, why not look into going the officer route?    I am not bashing your decision, just that I know more people fighting to get out of the Navy with a 4 year degree, than I know of people trying to get in with one.

That's a valid point, but my GPA was not high enough to qualify NUPOC.
I would rather be an enlisted nuke than a SWO.
I also really wanted to be on a sub and not be a coner, I dunno why, maybe it's this place?  :)
I'm LIMDU now, but will be applying for STA-21 Nuclear Option once I'm cleared.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:35 »

Good Choice.

Cheers,
GC

Wirebiter

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:53 »
I also really wanted to be on a sub and not be a coner, I dunno why, maybe it's this place?  :)

If you have already completed a four-year degree, you cannot apply under the STA-21 program.  Your best option is to go Officer Candidate School (OCS).  OCS would open up more career options for you than just SWO.  I am not sure how tough it is to get nuke officer via OCS.  I imagine your grades will come back into play.  Good luck on pursuit of a commission.

Coloradonuke

« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:40 »
To the person who is looking into STA-21 or OCS, the CCC at NPS is does not know the instruction for an OCS package very well. If you are completing an OCS application it must be submitted 3 months prior to you transferring to NPTU. DO NOT LET THEM TRANSFER YOU WITHIN 3 MONTHS OR YOUR PACKAGE WILL BE INVALID AND YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER FROM THE BEGINING!!! Speaking from personal experience good luck with your commissioning process!

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:07 »

Can't argue with that.
Also available in SOBER!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?