Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Some General Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Some General Questions  (Read 5014 times)

Brownstown

Some General Questions
« on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:54 »
Hey all,
I just graduated college with my Bachelor's degree in Communications.  A buddy of mine who has been working at a Nuclear Power Plant for a few years now (don't know what he does) recommended that I interview for a temporary position during the outage that is coming up in early February.  Since I cannot find a job yet, I was more than happy to do so.  I interview in a couple weeks but I just have some questions that some of you veterans could maybe help me with. 

My first question is:  How hard is it to get hired as a contractor?  What I am hoping to do, pending that I like the job, is to get a position traveling around the United States doing outages.  I know there is good money in this and I have always wanted to travel.  Living out of a suitcase doesn't bother me at this point in my life.

Second question:  Does my college degree help me in getting a full time position?  I was told that the fact that I am a "college  kid" sometimes turns off employers because they tend to not like to do physical labor, which I assure you isn't the case for me. 

Like I said, I haven't even interviewed for the temporary position yet, so this all may be a moot point.  Just hoping to get some feedback from you guys.  Appreciate the time.

vikingfan

Re: Some General Questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:29 »
what is the job you will  be interviewing for ?

Brownstown

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008, 11:05 »
I dont know exactly what the job title is.  All I know is I will be working the outage as a laborer of sorts at the Perry Nuclear Plant in Perry, Ohio.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:37 »
I dont know exactly what the job title is.  All I know is I will be working the outage as a laborer of sorts at the Perry Nuclear Plant in Perry, Ohio.

As a way to grab some quick cash & have some fun (outages are fun...if you like that kind of thing...and I do...), being a laborer would be great.

Unfortunately, it has NO relation to your degree...and I've seen too many people get lured into the industry by the money & never get back out.  Seems a shame to throw away 4 years of college, so I vote against you taking the Perry job...  Go validate the degree while it's fresh...you can always come be a laborer later...

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?