Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MARRIED DEPper ?'s about A-School situation honeypot

Author Topic: MARRIED DEPper ?'s about A-School situation  (Read 22304 times)

travistj

MARRIED DEPper ?'s about A-School situation
« on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:40 »
Hi and thanks in advance for the answers.  I have been in the dep program for a couple months now and my ship date is the middle of may.  My main question is im recently married...after signing in of course, and I have gotten split answers as to whether my wife can move to SC with me.  If not this is going to be a major issue.  We have been living together for 2 years now and have a dog (i know it sounds stupid but i need to bring the dog too).  I am looking at renting a 2-3 bedroom house (she will have a job too).  I am 24 yrs old and very dedicated to the navy and understand that studying and school come first but I do need her around.
SO....
1) will I have time after boot camp to move her down
2) if not, im assuming they automatically put me in the barracks.  Can I move out of the barracks immediately or do I HAVE to live there.
3) will they allow me to live off base?
4) are dogs allowed on base housing?

Please be honest with me as my recruiter likes to butter up his answers so everything sounds perfect.  I would love to hear from a married nuke and his/her experience.  Thanks

And please dont write to me that my priorities are screwed up because im worried about my wife and dog i KNOW #1 focus is school these are just some other important concerns.

Samabby

Re: MARRIED DEPper ?'s about A-School situation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:28 »
I just sent you a PM. Good luck.

travistj

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:43 »
thanks obi for your pm.
per your request i am posting this question on the site.
can you tell me a little bit about the housing.  my wife is all upset because it sounds and looks to her like apartments, which we did not want and we were promised differently.

are there fenced in yards for the dog?

big bedroom, bathrooms?

i tried googling the balfour beatty but could not get much

thanks

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:05 »
thanks obi for your pm.
per your request i am posting this question on the site.
can you tell me a little bit about the housing.  my wife is all upset because it sounds and looks to her like apartments, which we did not want and we were promised differently.

are there fenced in yards for the dog?

big bedroom, bathrooms?

i tried googling the balfour beatty but could not get much

thanks

Although i did not live in base housing, I had several friends that did.  If you are expecting something anything remotely new, might as well forget that folly now.

They are effectively duplexs.  They are brick, have carports, some have screened in back porches, but I don't know for sure about fenced in yards.  I think some do, some don't.  There are some that are quad-plexes that are very similar to apartments.  They are all within 5 to 10 minutes of both NPTU and NNPTC, not to mention the NEX and Commisary. 

Just remember that best case scenario is that you are only there for just over a year(assuming you stay in Charleston for NPTU) and worst case is you get picked up for SPU and you are there for 3 years roughly.  It will get you and your wife time to adjust to military life, give her some new friends for when you are working long hours, and give the both of you some piece of mind that you don't have to worry about affording rent spikes. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

duke99301

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:04 »
whats a depper?

Offline AFT21

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:10 »
I left Goose creek late in 2001 so some of this will be speculation, but here's my .02

When I was there housing was not the nicest, but it wasn't bad either.  It was extremely convenient to school and the commissary.  This may be more important to you than you realize.  Having a 5 min drive to work becomes significantly shorter than a 20-30 min drive, when you will be making that drive more than 5 days a week, (most likely 7) and wanting to go home and relax after school before night study.  

The commissary has become a significant financial advantage provided by the military with the way that food costs are skyrocketing.  

There are fenced yards in housing, and you will be able to have your dog there.  I have a 45lb "pit mix" that looks nothing like a true pit bull terrier, and I have experienced first hand breed specific exclusion in apt hunting.  My friend has lived on two bases with his Rott, without any trouble.  

Base housing will pay for electricity/heat/water/garbage, out in town that will come out of your pocket.  Housing is also being privatized at bases across the country.  A lot of the old structures are being torn down and rebuilt as part of the contracts.  My same friend just moved into new housing in Groton, and he and his wife love it.

These are all just things to take in to consideration.  I personally have not lived on base since NNPS, but it was not too bad while I was in school.  

Your BAH when you arrive as an E-3 will be $1138/mo as per:
http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html
Check craigslist Charleston to get an idea of housing costs.

When you finish bootcamp you will fly from there to Charleston.  You will be assigned a barracks, but you should be able to move out immediately.  Do not expect time off to move though.  The Navy will move your stuff for you.  Google smartwebmove to learn about the process.  You have two options.  The Navy hires a contractor, or you move the stuff, and the Navy pays you ~90% less taxes of what it would have cost them.  I have always done the self moves, because it's pretty good money.  Either way, your wife is probably going to have to do the brunt of the work because you will be starting school.  You can use your initial move at any time though.  If you are going to be getting to Charleston shortly before a holiday, you may choose to live minimally for the first month or two, and do your move then.  Or if you are going to be a mechanic, it's only a four month a-school until you have a few weeks off.  It's really all about the comfort requirements of your wife, since you probably won't be home much.

Good luck
MM1/SS

mlslstephens

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:12 »
whats a depper?

See the following link for more information.
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/DEP/index.htm

Basically, it is designed to be a time to learn about the Navy, its traditions and history, and some of the things needed to know before you enter Boot Camp.

So, to answer your question, a depper is short for someone slated to enter the Navy and in the Delayed Entry Program.

Hope this helps.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:07 »
I
There are fenced yards in housing, and you will be able to have your dog there.  I have a 45lb "pit mix" that looks nothing like a true pit bull terrier, and I have experienced first hand breed specific exclusion in apt hunting.  My friend has lived on two bases with his Rott, without any trouble.  

Base housing will pay for electricity/heat/water/garbage, out in town that will come out of your pocket.  Housing is also being privatized at bases across the country.  A lot of the old structures are being torn down and rebuilt as part of the contracts.  My same friend just moved into new housing in Groton, and he and his wife love it.

http://www.nwscharlestonhomes.com/TheNeighborhoods_Neighborhood.aspx?nid=39

note: this housing has gone PPV if it is anything like PPV housing in Hawaii be prepared for dog breed restrictions and electricity allowances (you pay anything over it).

travistj

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:53 »
ok so do I HAVE the OPTION to live there or can I live where I choose with my BAH?

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:12 »
travistj,
Reading through the posts on this thread makes me feel sad.  There are a lot of posts that almost seem to be discouraging you from being a nuke and married while going through the pipeline.  Let me tell you from experience that it is extremely possible and not too difficult to manage both a professional life and personal life while training.

I was 18 when I got married, just finished A school.  While in A school I had a few EMI's for incorrectly submitting re-submits on homework.  Did good in A school but not great(3.67).  After I moved my wife out to Charleston between A school and Power School thinks went a lot better, 3.87 in Power School, qualified week 17 in prototype and got SPU.  Im not bragging, just trying to show that it is quite possible to exceed and still be married. 

Some people will say that your #1 priority is school, well somedays it is, but no matter what, married or not, you have to find a balance between your personal life and military life.  Hopefully, everything will work out for you.  Given the fact that your 24 and probably a hell of a lot more mature than I was when I joined you should be fine.  These salty sea dogs forget sometimes what its like to be young so there advice is somewhat coarse.  However, listen to what they have to say but do what feels right.

Good Luck

travistj

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:50 »
still_in thanks so much for the kind words.

I agree with a lot of what you had to say and am encouraged by your success.

A lot of the questions I am posting are coming from my wife because we were promised that we could rent off base and seeing as we own a home now, it would be hard to be re-aquainted with the apartment life.  We like our privacy and she is seeking a career as a writer and need several hours a day of silence to herself (which is FINE by me!).

We have recently heard that we will be forced to live in a community called balfour beatty and are pretty bummed out about it.  Now none of this will directly effect my studies but as a married man you can agree that if she aint happy, we arent either.

But again thanks.  And it sounds like some people are saying we CAN live off base???

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:20 »
travistj,
I'm glad I could help or at least give you warm fuzzies, but I do recommend living on base.  I used to live on Knutson Street in case housing and it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.  They PPV has since demolished my house.  I can say that it was much easier being able to drive 3 minutes to get to work that 30.  The other thing to think about is how long you will be there, max 1.5 years unless you get picked up SPU.  Not much time to buy a house and with rent you could live in base housing utility free. 

I reccomend that you look into housing outside of base and prices.  I am due to move back to Charleston next year and housing outside of base will cost almost all of BAH, with the possibility of breaking even after utilities.  That was for a 3 bedroom as O-1, base housing will give you alot more room for the money.  But if living off base is what you want just be ready to deal with the stresses as well as the benefits.  Benefits being you may not run into your Chief or peers, stresses being late for work and your Chief grilling you about why you can't make it to work on time.

Base housing isn't so much like apartments as  you might think.   As an E-4 I had a 3 bedroom... apartment?  It was in a complex with 4 others. It was nice having other married couples around to help with the transition into the Navy life.  The help that I received from my neighbors, who I still keep in touch with, is invaluable. 

Once again, just food for thought.... you'll figure out what is right for you.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:24 »
As of now a student in the pipeline  MUST live on base. No option at all to move out.

Samabby

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:01 »
" , it would be hard to be re-aquainted with the apartment life."

This will be the LEAST of her adjustments. Is she FULLY SUPPORTIVE to the idea of you joining? Does she have a full grasp of the amount of time that you will be " busy" ?  8)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:24 »
While I advocate living on-base....I disagree with this policy.

If housing is privatized, then forcing married folks to live in housing is effectively the same thing as the government endorsing one company over another.  That is not right.

This is just another item in the new intrusive leadership model.  This is along the same lines of NPTU going to student's apartments for a "health and comfort inspection" and refusing to tell the students that they do NOT have to let the staff perform the inspections.  They also told us(the student's temporary advisors) not to tell the students they could opt out of the inspection.  It was pretty much, "get your students to sign this so we can go look at their apartments.  They don't have to let us, but don't tell them that" 

By forcing all students to live in base housing during NPS, they can legally go to their "house" anytime they want for an inspection or have the base housing athority do it.  They don't have to worry about single students because they all live in the barracks(or are supposed to, I knew a few that didn't when I was a student).
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

ndavidson85

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:30 »
good luck man, I am in your situation, leaving march 10th and (LEGALLY married already) getting married on feb 28th, so... good luck to both of us?

I have talked extensively with my wife about her knowing that my schedule might be school-sleep-school-sleep and that's life, and she seems to be very accepting of this.

You might see my post where I get a little rude because of the way I worded things and the way people worded things back --- but here is the way I look at it all.

The NAVY should never come before your family. Period. But on the flip side to that, for me, the NAVY is the way I will show my son responsibility, the way I will give my wife and son a home, the way I will feed them, the way I will serve them, and the way I will make them proud. SO make sure she knows the reason you can't be with her is for her, and never because she isn't important.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:42 »
You keep getting back to the off-base housing question.  As someone who lived out in town and in military housing there, I can tell you it will be harder to find a place out in town that lets you have the dog without incurring an up-front financial hit in the form of a hefty damage deposit, if they allow pets at all.  Be prepared to forfeit the damage deposit when you move out even if there is no damage...they'll want to clean the carpets and remove the pet odor, and it will cost you.
Housing allows up to two pets.
As others have been saying, the military housing is a great deal, and will eliminate any number of headaches you might deal with out in town.  Its secure, its close, and if something breaks, they are there to fix it quickly, all at no cost to you.
Lots of good advice throughout this thread....read and heed.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:44 »

The NAVY should never come before your family. Period. But on the flip side to that, for me, the NAVY is the way I will show my son responsibility, the way I will give my wife and son a home, the way I will feed them, the way I will serve them, and the way I will make them proud. SO make sure she knows the reason you can't be with her is for her, and never because she isn't important.

ndavidson85,
I think I get what your trying to say hear but be careful of how you word things.  Unfortunately, whether you like it or not the Navy is going to come first some,  i.e. most, days.  I've been in for 7 years now and there have been a lot of times that I have had to miss family stuff for the Navy.  It sucks but that's the way it is. 
I get what your saying at the end.  The Navy is the means for providing for your family.  That being said, you and your family will have to make large sacrifices in order to receive the benefits of the Navy.

So that should be the end of my rant.  Like I've said in previous posts, there is a fine balance between military and personal lives and you just have to find it.

Oh yeah, I also totally agree with NukeLDO on the base housing issue... it just makes things way to easy.  Good Luck!

travistj

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:51 »
i am taking heed of all advice given on this post.  and after looking at the on base housing floorplans there in charlestown my wife and I are a bit more optimistic.  You just have to realize where we are coming from.  We are 24 and have had our own home for over 2 years so moving back into a duplex of sorts will be a pain in my arse.  But it sounds like thats the way it has to be.  I was really looking forward to living off base even with the pet, the deposits and first and last months rent are not an issure we have been saving to move for over a year but it doesnt sound like that is even an option.  So i guess we will just have to be positive and hope for good neighbors.

Also in charleston it says there are 58 two bedroom and like 580 3 bedcroom and 90 something 4 bedroom.  Do you get an option?  Do all have fenced in yards?  will they take into consideration my dog and just give me one with a fenced in yard?  is there someone I should call?

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:05 »
Size of assigned housing is based on family size (and availability).  If just you and the wife, you won't be getting a 3BR.
No, not all have fenced areas.  However, you can put in a fence yourself, you just have to get your plan approved first, which, when I did it, wasn't that painful.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

TheObiJuan

« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:52 »
Nuke LDO is right, but since they demolished half of the houses, 3-bedroom's can be available to two person families.
It all comes down to availability. If you request a tour of available properties and one has a fence, ask for it.

The number of houses you quoted is not accurate. Many large sections were fenced off and the homes demolished for new construction.

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:03 »
Check this website out if you haven't already:

http://www.nwscharlestonhomes.com/Home.aspx

According to this website your numbers are correct for housing units.  I would call and see if they have any projected numbers for available units when your due to report.  This worst that could happen is they don't know and you really haven't lost anything.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:55 »
i am taking heed of all advice given on this post.  and after looking at the on base housing floorplans there in charlestown my wife and I are a bit more optimistic.  You just have to realize where we are coming from.  We are 24 and have had our own home for over 2 years so moving back into a duplex of sorts will be a pain in my arse.  But it sounds like thats the way it has to be.  I was really looking forward to living off base even with the pet, the deposits and first and last months rent are not an issure we have been saving to move for over a year but it doesnt sound like that is even an option.  So i guess we will just have to be positive and hope for good neighbors.

Also in charleston it says there are 58 two bedroom and like 580 3 bedcroom and 90 something 4 bedroom.  Do you get an option?  Do all have fenced in yards?  will they take into consideration my dog and just give me one with a fenced in yard?  is there someone I should call?

Living conditions will be more of a pain in your wife's behind. You will not see a lot of your home thats just the way life is in the trainning pipline. However just remember you are there for only there for 15-24 months.

By they way don't complain about housing. It rubs people who are single in the Navy the wrong way since your living room will probably be bigger than the barracks room they share with another person. With the exception of 6 months in prototype most single sailors will spend their first 2-4 years in the Navy without BAH.

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2009, 01:15 »
The day you get KIA is the day the needs of the Navy will absolutely come before your family,....

It's why we honor those that serve,...

Honor those that never come home,...

And watch over the families of those whose cicumstance resulted in the ultimate gift of duty before all else,...

The Navy exists to convince bad people we are willing to kill or be killed to defend ourselves,...

They didn't put nuke power into warships to give nukes a job, or provide berths with better propay,...

I was not going to reply to this thread but Marrisim makes great points in his post and I wanted to give him some props. When you get to the bottom line the U.S. Military exist for 2 basic reasons. 1. Protect the United States of America 2. Kill those who threaten the United States of America,,,that's it in a nutshell. Metal on target and warheads on foreheads. Everyone from the cook in the galley to the pilot in the jet pushing that hot pickle button has a role in that mission. Now to simply address travistj's question. For Gods sake son just move into Navy housing. You and your wife will be much better off and you will never have to worry about security. Believe me she will have a ton of "alone time" for her budding writing career as you are going to be gone an awful lot at school,,,trust me.
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

blonderocker1343

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2009, 04:03 »
im a depper, and i have a fiance, not married, so my profile for the navy says single.... so am i screwed then basicly?  i have to live in barracks cause i'm single and what not, and basicly gonna be a bitch to see my fiance on my off time? (she's willing to move with me, or try to near anyways)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2009, 05:43 »
Not even in the Navy yet and already blaming them for screwing YOU? Your marital status isn't their problem.

Justin

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2009, 06:45 »
im a depper, and i have a fiance, not married, so my profile for the navy says single.... so am i screwed then basicly?  i have to live in barracks cause i'm single and what not, and basicly gonna be a bitch to see my fiance on my off time? (she's willing to move with me, or try to near anyways)

So marry her.... :-\
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline ftn807

• Very Lite User
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2009, 11:44 »

Yes, barracks are your only option as a single person. You get family housing when you are married. You cannot get BAH (money to live out in town) until you are done with power school.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?