Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Some direction please
honeypot

Author Topic: Some direction please  (Read 3623 times)

Seizer

Some direction please
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:49 »
Greetings,

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, and have been for eleven years.  Aviation has been very volatile ever since I started.  I wish to make a career change and feel nuclear power would be a stable choice.

Now there is a job here at Westinghouse Waltz Mill site posted on their website that I am interested in.  https://sjobs.brassring.com/EN/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?SID=^8zfu51zXc3CjHsZcAx1A6lMn/JNqweFLNLMG/IoqM5sVuTdd_slp_rhc_OIdLW/mGC_slp_rhc_XxYkhYVpTkGvsFggm_C_R__L_F_u6rdrWv8TGKekgv8PvP13rLXaQsPYzY=&jobId=750694&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=113&JobSiteInfo=750694_113&GQId=0

Pardon the enormous link.

After reading about the job description I think I am qualified to fulfill these duties from the experience I received in aviation.

Do you all have any input into what I might do to make myself even more qualified?  Or any suggestions on how to even get my foot in the door at place like this or similar to start a career change into the nuclear power industry?  I appreciate your thoughts and comments about this, thank you.

Keln

Re: Some direction please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:28 »
While you are waiting for some more specific and better informed advice, I can give you this bit of generic advice. If you think you have something to offer a company, or skills you think they might appreciate, then go for it. The worst they can say is "no thanks". The best they can say is "you're hired". There are always things a company is willing to overlook in your background if you have other skills they may consider valuable. This approach to looking at a job got me to at least interview and consideration phases earlier last year in jobs I never dreamed I could get. No, I didn't get those jobs, but I was told I had been in the top 2 or 3...which means they were a possibility. I lost nothing applying for them and doing interviews, and I learned somethings too.

alphadude

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:30 »
you can try turbine mechanic.. and then work your way around. turbine mechanic fits real well with your experience

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:53 »
You don't need to start out as a nuke.
Depending on where you are at, it might be easier to get into a coal plant as a GPH and work your way up.
Getting into a company is the biggest hurdle. Once you are in a company, it is much easier to move around.......unless you get to a nuke plant that is short handed. That may cause you to be held up if you see something you like elsewhere.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?