Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu IMF Bangor v. Entergy Maint Coord/Supv

Author Topic: IMF Bangor v. Entergy Maint Coord/Supv  (Read 4360 times)

Offline AFT21

• Light User
IMF Bangor v. Entergy Maint Coord/Supv
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:24 »
I am an MM1/SS with over 8 years in.  I just completed a tour aboard a fast attack submarine, and I'm dead set on not doing another one.  Having been the MLPO for the last year of my tour, I feel as though going to shore duty to be a technician would be a step backwards career-wise.  However, I'm spending a few months at IMF Bangor recovering from shoulder surgery, and I've found that this is a very good command. (I didn't think they still existed)  They also have a program where a person can go to the Lean Six Sigma Office, work there for a year, and come out with at a minimum a green belt, and probably a black belt.  Furthermore, they strongly encourage pursuing a degree, even during working hours.  So I'm starting to think that it may not be a step back, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice in this regard.

The other options that I find the most interesting are the Mechanical Maintenance Coordinator and Supervisor Positions that I keep seeing at various Entergy plants.  Their duties seem very similar to that of an in port LPO, which was the part of my career that I found most satisfying.  From another post I am guessing that I would be looking at about 50 hours a week when operating, and 70+ hours a week during outages.  Am I on the right track?  I would appreciate hearing from anybody actually working for Entergy in these positions, or working closely with them.  PMs are welcome if you have anything you don't want the world to see.

Thanks
Pete

One more question.  If I were to stay in for shore duty, get a BS in project management, and a Six Sigma Black Belt, then still wind up at Entergy as a Maintenance Coordinator or Supervisor, will I have done nothing but cost myself 4 years of seniority?
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2009, 02:38 by AFT21 »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: IMF Bangor v. Entergy Maint Coord/Supv
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:16 »
I work for Entergy, tho not in maintenance. I do know the maint supv and some coord here at VY. Nice guys, for the most part all are happy with their jobs. Maint supv seem to stay in their jobs for a long time, most come from the tools, and seem comfortable where they are. The coords seem to move around a bit, going to planning, project mgmt, etc. A few years in each spot, following whatever seems interesting to them.
The degree and 6 sigma are a plus. But you can (in time) get them in the civilian world. Neither are necessary for supv / coord, but will make upward mobility into project management a bit easier. If you have an opportunity to get them before EAOS, go for it...

Hope this helps a bit.

Rest that shoulder sailor, hold the beer with the other hand.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Wydryd99

Re: IMF Bangor v. Entergy Maint Coord/Supv
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:55 »
Well, I cant speak for the civilian side, but my last tour was at IMF.  It was the most rewarding tour of my career (18 yrs so far).  But it did have some real tools to deal with there.  Depending on what shop you go to, will depend on the schooling time available.  I warn you though, if you do another shore tour, at the end, you'll have 11-12 in, which makes you lean for the full 20.  Think hard on it, make a plan, then stick to it.

Dont forget to get the "Boss's" input from the home front.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?