Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu PLease give me your opinion on my quals. honeypot

Author Topic: PLease give me your opinion on my quals.  (Read 15476 times)

skewter30

PLease give me your opinion on my quals.
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:17 »
First off let me state that I lack any formal engineering education.  I have  B.S. In Management Science Operations Analysis.  I took roughly 10 math courses including calculus, statistics(6 courses including statistical quality control and forecasting), Linear/matrix algebra, and two more basic classes.  I also took upper level management courses ( Production management, materials management,Operations management & Analysis) as part of my major.  The only science class i took was a 200 level chem class.

I have been running my own e commerce company for the last 6 years, but I am ready for something that can provide for my family (wife and two kids) on a more consistent basis. 

I have applied for an AO position with a local nuke...do you think I am what they are looking for?

Fermi2

Re: PLease give me your opinion on my quals.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:32 »
No

skewter30

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:37 »
Thanks

Apply, take the POSS test, get hired, and enjoy life....just to spite Broadzilla if nothing else! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2009, 10:38 by HydroDave63 »

BoilerHP

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:56 »
I work closely with recruiters for the company I am currently scheduled to take a POSS with. I was told High School science classes also count (did you take physics then?)... I am sure Broadzilla will disagree, but this is what I was told (I am sure this will vary by company as well). I have a B.S. in Radiological Health Physics and the recruiter said if you have Nuke Navy or a B.S. "that's generally good enough to qualify" was what she said. If you have a B.S and not a B.A. there is a chance you may get a shot at taking the POSS. Once you get to that point read the posts on here about that over and over and over again.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2009, 10:58 by BoilerHP »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:06 »
That would get you hired at my plant.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2009, 06:35 »
I stand behind my answer. How do any of us know what the local nuke is looking for if he hasn't referenced a plant?

skewter30

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:38 »
I stand behind my answer. How do any of us know what the local nuke is looking for if he hasn't referenced a plant?

I have applied at Constellation.  Do you know their hiring practices? if so, I would greatly appreciate any insight into their decision making strategy.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2009, 09:45 by skewter30 »

30rem

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:12 »
A few years ago, the plant I was employed at could not find people who could pass the pre-employment battery test. They looked high and low and nobody passed.

They finally resorted to hiring the geeks at the local high school and had jobs waiting for them when they turned 18. Giving them $60,000 a year jobs.

They all turned out to be pretty good operators.

If you could pass that test you had a job regardless of degree, pedigree etc.

I do not remember what the test was called though.

Good luck.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:42 »
Calvert has hired right out of high school in the past. Just pass the POSS and you are in. We just lost 5 PO's to license class so we are probably looking to hire.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:16 »
In my AUO class we have two guys with degrees in Agricultural Science.  I'm not knocking them or anything, they're both competent and will make fine operators.  Just giving you an idea of what kind of background you can get in with.

Like the others say, give it a shot.  If you try and they say no, at least you tried.  If you don't try...  well, you'll never know.  ;)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:44 »
I hired into a class of 20 NLOs, of which many had no former plant experience:

BS Environmental Science
BS Chemistry
2 BS Physics
1 BS Mathematics
1 BS Health Physics with no actual nuclear experience
1 2 year degree in Power Plant Tech.
1 general industrial experience
1 with industrial optics experience
the remainder being an assortment of navy nukes with and w/o degrees

I say go for it. Pass the POSS and call it a day. The industry is hurting for applicants.

alphadude

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:44 »
LOTS of nonqual BS people get hired in at all nukes in ops positions. its a typical method of operation. what happens is you get hired, move into ops, get certified, enroll in a Eng degree program and in about 3 years the company has what they want. (SOTA) good thing is the utility will pay for almost all of it.

BoilerHP

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:24 »
I think a large part of it has to do with 1) The company 2) The recruiter and Hiring Manager. At Exelon they have been very happy that I am going into Ops and I know they would love to get some fresh out of college engineers in there as well. I have a degree in Health Physics, so they were having a hard time with themselves talking me out of taking an HP job... since they need those very badly. But everyone agreed I would fit in great with Ops and we all just need to "bite the bullet" on not putting me in RP (the S.O.S. was probably the most enthused about this choice).
I have applied to other utilities and did not hear anything back, so I think it's a lot with getting your foot in the door and getting your resume to the right people.

I really saw how important this "networking" is when I was getting my resume out for Health Physics positions. I have a "mentor" who has 25+ years in the business and knows a lot of RPMs, I could not get any replies going through HR on jobs... Once he gave out my resume I was getting calls within minutes of him sending them out from RP managers. So if at all possible try and get your resume to someone at the site in the department... not the HR people. Hope this helps! Best of luck

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:54 »
Given your math background, you may want to look into the Probabalistic Risk Assessment group at the plant.  The management science operational analysis may be a good fit for groups like root cause investigation, quality assurance/oversight, procurement, and so on.

I suggest taking a look at what jobs are posted, rather than just concentrating on NLO.  Don't forget that at many plants, Ops makes up only 10-20% of the people who work at the site.

skewter30

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:26 »
Given your math background, you may want to look into the Probabalistic Risk Assessment group at the plant.  The management science operational analysis may be a good fit for groups like root cause investigation, quality assurance/oversight, procurement, and so on.

I suggest taking a look at what jobs are posted, rather than just concentrating on NLO.  Don't forget that at many plants, Ops makes up only 10-20% of the people who work at the site.

Thanks for the advice.  I have an interview with Constellation soon.  I passed the test and was recommended for the position.  I will keep everyone updated.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:11 »
Thanks for the advice.  I have an interview with Constellation soon.  I passed the test and was recommended for the position.  I will keep everyone updated.

Which Constellation plant? I have something at Nine Mile Point on Feb 2nd. The POSS in the morning, interviews directly after that.

skewter30

« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:44 »
Same plant on the 3rd.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:37 »
this is the story we got. they are hiring 25, starting second week of March. Show up first week of March to get badged. Find out POSS results day after you take the test. Find out next week who they hire.

is that what you were told as well?

skewter30

« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:19 »
That is the story I got.

skewter30

« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:19 »
this is the story we got. they are hiring 25, starting second week of March. Show up first week of March to get badged. Find out POSS results day after you take the test. Find out next week who they hire.

is that what you were told as well?

Did you get your results?

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:31 »
I got my POSS results about 1 p.m. EST the next day. I passed. However, I have neither recent plant experience (nuke navy was 21 years ago) nor a degree (I have an AA but with university Calc 1 and 2, Physics w/Calc, Chemistry, all with the labs), so I consider myself at the bottom of the ones who passed the POSS, which apparently was a small group compared to the number that took the exam, at least as far as looking attractive to HR. No word on who they hired, but 25 seems like a large number. No idea how many applied, maybe hundreds, who knows. Have you found out yet about your POSS?

skewter30

« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:43 »
yes, I passed. From what people tell me, my youth is a plus for me. I guess now we wait until next Wednesday...Thursday...Friday ...

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:59 »
One of my questions for them was whether there was high turnover, do people stay when they hire on, etc...he said very little turnover, but they are hiring so many because the work force is retiring and it takes a long time to get good at the job, so they are hiring now. I think youth would play well into their plans. But, as the environmentalist wackos like to say, "Youth is wasted on the young".

skewter30

« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:50 »
Well I'm Hired.  I have to say that this site was really helpful and all the advice I got from it made the process very manageable.

BoilerHP

« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2009, 02:31 »
Congrats!
I start GFES officially tomorrow, so I am excited. When is your official start date?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2009, 05:53 »
Congratulations to both of you!

Justin

skewter30

« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:16 »
Congrats!
I start GFES officially tomorrow, so I am excited. When is your official start date?

Nice job!
I start officially on the 16th.  I have badging and safety training on march 9,10, and 11.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 29, 2009, 11:27 »
You work for Entergy right?  Is a BS really a "shoe in" for AO/NLO for them?  I have my B.S. but haven't had any luck with the 3 operator jobs I've applied for with them. 

At Entergy the BS will get your foot in the door to take the POSS test, pass it and you should get an interview, you will also have to take a old generic fundamental exam but that is not a go no go like the POSS...  then it is up to your interview skill, background and willingness to work.  Nothin in this world is a "shoe-in"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?