Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ?? about getting in after long hiatus
honeypot

Author Topic: ?? about getting in after long hiatus  (Read 6950 times)

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
?? about getting in after long hiatus
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:31 »
i have worked in the nuke business until early 90"s. now my job is taking a plunge for the worst and i want to get back in. a few places have opening and i have been to those plants. question...would it be hard to get back in after all these years  the one person i worked with is now a site person at one of the plants. thanks for any help

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Re: ?? about getting in after long hiatus
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:16 »
Getting back in would not be a problem...B is always for folks that have a pulse!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:17 »
i have worked in the nuke business until early 90"s. now my job is taking a plunge for the worst and i want to get back in. a few places have opening and i have been to those plants. question...would it be hard to get back in after all these years  the one person i worked with is now a site person at one of the plants. thanks for any help

I sat out a few years (fewer than you though) and picked it all back up in the first couple of weeks...it's just like falling off riding a bike...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:58 »
well i sent resumes out how long will it take  ya i know the answer as long as it takes LOL

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2009, 09:54 »
well i finally printed the app for bartlett and sent it off today  .would anyone know how long before i hear anything?probably 1 month before the outages start in sept?i havent been in nuke for a while kinf of nervous trying to get back in

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2009, 11:11 »
Typically Bartlett likes to get the back ground paperwork submitted around 25 days before you show up for your first day. Usually I know where I am going (after an extended lay off, summer or winter) about 30 - 45 days in advance. You will have no problem finding work this fall and like UncaBuffalo said, it's like riding a bike. Stayed out for around 8 years myself, week number 2 of the first outage felt like I had never left. Good luck.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2009, 11:17 »
thanks  just wondering now i sent in an application to bartlett do you think i should call maybe next week to make sure they got it? i dont want to bug them but i worked for them before i dont think there is no reason they wouldnt hire me again. i was going to send them an email from LinkedIn site but dont wanna ruin my chances of getting in
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2009, 06:45 by iiiisx349 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:03 »
Thanks, I was wondering, Now that I have sent an application to Bartlett, do you think I should call, maybe next week, to make sure they got it? I don't want to bug them, but I worked for them before, I don't think there is a reason they wouldn't hire me again. I was going to send them an email from the LinkedIn site but I don't want to ruin my chances of getting in.

Hmmm... too call or not? Balance not being a nuisance against not showing an appropriate interest, either can cost you a job. Make sure you communicate well when you do call and ask when you should call/e_mail again. Weekly is not a bad periodicity.

Spell check, proper capitalization, and punctuation is not a bad idea when communicating. Here it is optional especially if you want to irritate all of the sharks (curmudgeons) swimming the threads of the Nukeworker sea.

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:00 »
well i guess i didnt get in this time around  when do they usually post for the spring outages?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:42 »
well i guess i didnt get in this time around  when do they usually post for the spring outages?

Don't give up on the fall outages, the game has barely begun.  You will see a lot more job postings as the season heats up.  If you don't get multiple offers in mid-September I'll be sorely surprised.

Make sure Bartlett, Atlantic, & NPUA all have your resume, as well as the local contract companies at any DOE sites you are willing to visit.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

mostlyharmless

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2009, 11:16 »
Excellent advice.

Keep at it. Make the calls and network. If you know people in the business contact them for info. There is a lot of activity in DOE right now. Some will be very good experience,different from an outage,but challenging if you ask for it. Keep posting here, some of us will help you if we can.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2009, 11:31 »
And as it gets closer and closer, be ready to go on a moment's notice.  As it gets closer to crunch time, jobs may very well end up getting dished out to the first person who says "Yes, I can be there tomorrow".
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?