Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu is it silly...

Author Topic: is it silly...  (Read 11625 times)

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
is it silly...
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:37 »
to want to get back in after almost 10 years or am i wasting my time even thinking about it?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: is it silly...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:46 »
Lots of people come back after some other career didn't work out or they retired or their kids have flown the nest.  It isn't that uncommon at all.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:03 »
thanks then i really may persue this

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:19 »
Don't be to worried about making a comeback. The survey meters are pretty much the same except for a few more dents and a lot of missing paint. Smears are still the same size only the floor is a little harder to reach than it was ten years ago.The rules have changed but the game is still the same.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:42 »
Don't be to worried about making a comeback. The survey meters are pretty much the same except for a few more dents and a lot of missing paint. Smears are still the same size only the floor is a little harder to reach than it was ten years ago.The rules have changed but the game is still the same.

Some of the sloperators are new to the industry, young and will make some big messes for you  ;)

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:07 »
I got back in after being out for 11 years - and have worked steady ever since.  Shouldn't be a problem for you - best of luck with it all.
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2009, 02:12 »
I can back in 2006 after 8 years of doing other things. Been hitting the outage road hard ever since. At first I did not want to do it but now believe it is one of the best things I have ever been forced to do ;D

I have a new appreciation for the industry and because I did some other things, I no longer have that feeling that I shoulda woulda coulda tried some other things. The grass wasn't really greener, the grass was just different grass. There are now more opportunities in the nuclear industry than I can ever remember back in the 90's and it is only going to get better.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:57 »
There are now more opportunities in the nuclear industry than I can ever remember back in the 90's...

Absolutely!

...and it is only going to get better.

We hope.  BUT...if all the D.O.E. money dries up due to the budget deficit...or all the new-builds turn out to be pipe dreams...or every vo-tech program in the country floods the market...or...  :/  (Not saying I think the industry will tank...just saying it doesn't come with any guarantees...)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:20 »
true dat

however you should see some new money going into clean up at DOE facilities.. projects which bushwacker put off.. and I&C techs will migrate to wind power work because the demand is already high there and the pay is as good as nuke...safety and health jobs will grow.. a few of the welfare nukes will get built because they do produce a lot of power but... mass conversion.. nuke to electric to power cars will die out.. the demand for electricity will slo because of the major slo down in housing.. as far as electricity goes arent we already independent?? no one has really explained how nuke will ease our demand for oil.. (no one uses oil fired plants anymore) coal will have to become a POX before nuke steps up to the plate...the conversion of older houses to electric heat from oil will be two generations away in the north east...most electricity will go for development of alternate fuels (liquid) which is dumb.. maybe those car lots will turn off some lights to conserve our resources..

just some predictions...

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:39 »
Smears are still the same size only the floor is a little harder to reach than it was ten years ago.

So I'm not the only one that has noticed that the floor has gotten further away...  Of course the pipes and supports need checking too.... :D
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:39 »
We have one guy on our project that hadn't worked nukes in 27 years. Bechtel is pull'em out of the wood work!

Content1

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:13 »
to want to get back in after almost 10 years or am i wasting my time even thinking about it?

I came back after 20 years, just put on my resume that it was not in chronological order, and nobody noticed!   I also found like that Twilight Zone episode, "Going my way?"  like the character of death following you everywhere, when I came back NOTHING had changed from a nuclear informational standpoint, as if the field was saying to me, "Going my way?"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?