Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Duke operators

Author Topic: Duke operators  (Read 12222 times)

gamecockdeez

Duke operators
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:46 »
I interviewed with Duke-Power for a AO job recently, and I just got a call from them saying that they are going to offer.  They said after they get the monetary approvals and tie up loose-ends they would then give me a formal offer.  I was wondering if anyone happens to know what Duke-Power typically pays newbie Navy nukes (w/o a degree) starting out?  I guess the hiring manager wanted to set my mind at ease by telling me that they liked me and were going to hire me, but now my curiosity is getting the best of me.  If anybody can help, thanks.  If not, I'll just have to wait till next week.

Fermi2

Re: Duke operators
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:39 »
Why not call and ask?

lionhart

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:51 »
Which plant are you going to work for?

gamecockdeez

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:16 »
Mcguire

BoilerHP

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:24 »
I have to agree with Broadzilla, the HR people were more than happy to give me the pay information for the position I am applying for (Exelon). I know the plant I am trying to work at just had an increase in pay rates according to the contract set between the union and the company. Congrats btw!

gamecockdeez

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:40 »
Thanks alot.  I am pretty excited about starting something new.  I'll probably call them up on Monday and get an idea of what there pay scale is.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:37 »
Wait till you see the Ice Condenser!

gamecockdeez

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:38 »
They talked about it at the interview.  They asked if I would be comfortable going from one temperature extreme to another. 

NukeNub

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:12 »
Some companies pay everyone equally, on a set scale progression, while others may extend individual offers based on experience and then offer performance based raises.

number41

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:20 »
I interviewed there last year.  I had to twist some arms to get an interview there, and I'm 13 yr Ex-Navy, qualified EOOW/EWS, with a B.S. NukE and they still only offered me an AO job paying $27/hr to start.  I turned them down and got an SRO job elsewhere, but for the record, that figure is the same as what we pay our new AO's.  I have a friend that works there as an Engineer (he got me the interview to begin with), and he's told me Duke works very closely with some local community colleges and grow their own operators.  So, if you want to work for Duke or just want to live close to Charlotte while working at a Nuke plant, and they offer you a spot for ~ $27/hr, take it because most places aren't offering much more for AO's and Duke pretty much owns the Charlotte area.

And before it begins  *****Disclaimer:  You should do whatever the hell makes you happy.  Don't listen to me because alot of other people on this board who think they know everything will tell you not to listen to me*****  (However, I did just go through the new hire process this year instead of 360 years ago, so you can listen to me or the old guys here that know everything.)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:49 »
WTF is with all of the hatred? No one would have said anything to you until you made your disclaimer. Now its fair game. Are you bitter about the fair job offer they made you or something?

Justin
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2009, 02:50 by JustinHEMI »

number41

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:59 »
Nope, I'm totally satisfied with what they offered, but I've experienced enough resistance from others on this board when asking honest questions like the one that gamecockdeez asked, that I figured I'd save him the trouble of getting blasted by 20 people.

gamecockdeez

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:15 »
Hey thanks for the advice Mclovin.  Yeah I ended up accepting an offer for an AO position at VC summer.  I told Duke at the interview that I was interviewing with VC summer the week after I interviewed with them, and I would like to know about an offer sooner rather than later.  They said they would get me an answer within a week after the interview.  I guess they found someone more qualified or someone that interviewed better, because a few days after my duke interview they told me that they were offering me. I haven't heard from them since, and that was two weeks ago.  It's ok though.  I'm more than happy with SCANA's offer (which is more than what Duke "typically" starts it's AO's at), and I think it could be a great place to work from what I've heard. 

BoilerHP

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:36 »
So they said they would send you an offer but never followed through? It seems no matter the company, HR departments seem to be poorly run. I am very glad so many people have told me to expect HR depts to be bad and not let that represent the company and how it functions normally. Congrats on the job!

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:20 »
I know a little bit about Duke. First off the $27/hr. number seems spot on. Hourly operators probably top out around $36. There is no deal between operations and any local schools. Currently that's limited to the RP folks. Duke definatly grows their own SRO's, you won't get hired into that position. The clear something I read in another thread. There is no ceiling for SRO's and no waiting for someone to die before moving up. SRO's routinely move on out to other jobs; planning work control, procedures, managment etc. many keep their licenses many don't. There's a constant flow. No operator would spend more than 15 minutes in the ice condenser in a week, none wear ice suits when they go. And finally if someone told you to expect an offer they were out of line and violating company policy. Only HR can make an offer and they would never tell you to expect one, you would either get one or not. That being said they also never contact potential applicants with non-offers, if you're not chosen they will file your app and move on, they will not contact you again. Sucks but that's the way it is. All that being said, it's a fine place to work, a good place to live and a great place to raise a family...going on 28 years.

Offline jwreezy1

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:35 »
I interviewed with Duke for the Learner Operator position on Jan 8th. I took the POSS test the same day and Passed it my first time. I haven't heard a thing though. I Feel very confident about my Interview. It went really well. I'm not sure if it is a bad sign or not that I haven't heard anything. Any advice will help ease my mind. Thanx

number41

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:56 »
It took them almost a month to get back to me after test, interview, etc.  Based on my experience, they were about average for keeping in touch after the initial contact.  If you don't hear anything in a little while, call their HR rep and politely inquire about the position.  None of the people that I followed-up with seemed to take it as anything than being thorough in the job search when I called them up a few weeks later to check-in. 

Offline jwreezy1

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2009, 01:03 »
Yeah I called and they said that they interviews are still going on till March 3rd so If I get the job the offer will be sent out In the next couple of weeks after that. I guess they are hiring a bunch of people for that position. I'll just be patient and hope for the best.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?