Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to prepare for Navy NPS

Author Topic: How to prepare for Navy NPS  (Read 121404 times)

Austria

Re: How to prepare for Navy NPS
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2004, 02:44 »
I hope you are right about LASIK, because the Navy prohibited me from getting it done in 1989 at my own expense! Some concern based on a pilot's study, which the idiots decided applied to subs!

Well, I'm just guessing here (being an ex-carrier kinda guy) that the relation between pilots, subs, and laser eye surgery has to do with pressure changes. Much like glaucoma was a disqualifier for sub duty, I think it relates to submarines operating submerged at a slightly lower than atmospheric pressure. Pilots undergo similar reductions in ambient pressure at altitude and surgery to soft tissue such as the eyes may be adversley affected by pressure changes. Having said all that, I am sure that there have been a lot of follow up studies since 1989 documenting the effects. Things may well have changed since then.

Slowpoke: excellent comments. Reading your post makes me wish I could see for myself how things have changed since my days at NPS Orlando.

And Sean.....whatever rating you go for, if you apply yourself you will find the possibilities you open up for yourself will be nearly unlimited. Whether you stay in or get out after six. Stay nuke, or find another career path.

While I truly feel that the Navy Nuke program was the best education I cold have gotten ANYWHERE, the most important thing it taught me was that I can do pretty much anything if I put my mind to it.

Since my Navy days I have worked nuke plants, built and worked with 9,000 Curie Cobalt sources, and lived and taught scuba diving in the Caribbean. Now I live in Vienna, Austria where I teach English for business to companies like Diners Club, and am working on starting up my own language institute.
Still, I like to get back to a nuke plant a couple tmes a year. Both for the money and the people.....it's just an experience you won't find in many other places.

Best of luck which ever direction you head.

moodusjack

« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:26 »
Better get used to corney jokes like this at nuke school, "now appearing at the Beta bar, the Group 2 rods with their hit song,'equilibrium xenon, you're driving my T-ave down'!".

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:52 »
The pressure inside the sub wasn't always below atmospheric.  Actually it was right at 1 atm. almost always.  Then, they would do a diesel drop test that would suck the corks right out of the reagent bottles.  Or, a deep dive that would compress the hull and make it pop.  My eardrums are still f^&ked up after seventeen years on dry land.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

moodusjack

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2004, 01:38 »
And when you get to prototype get ready for corney stuff like this:

You just lost vacuum in the Condenser, and all you can think of is,"yah picked a fine time to leave me, loopseal".

moodusjack

« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2004, 01:40 »
And when you get to the fleet never, never, never fall for the "funnel" or "vice" tricks.  Not unless you like MILSTANDARD 203DF445S lapping compound.

Adidas2806

« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2004, 10:10 »
just outta curiosity, last night on the news there was a report about the nuke problem some thirty yrs ago at three mile island or something like that(i think thats the name of it) and there is some huge controversy about nuclear power and how long it will last. there hasnt been a nuclear license issued since that incident. i have heard that several power plants licences expire in the next 20  yrs or so. am i getting myself into a dying field? i really wouldnt want to focus my career on something that was dying. i certainly hope not and am inclined to say that itll all be ok b/c they also said that like 25% of power used in the country is nuclear. pretty large chuink there.
     thank yuo guys again so much for all your info and help!
Sean

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 29, 2004, 11:00 »
   You can find pro and con for the nuclear industry's prognosis. Below is a DOE evaluation from last October. While reading through it you will find that goverment support is tied to the incumbent party. Conservative promoting nuclear and liberal not.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/nuclear.html

You may find that nuclear power school may still be benificial. Only about half of my shipmates continued in the nuclear field and are doing well. I recently ran into an old shipmate who is a manager for a boiler inspection company (non-nuke).
   Good luck what ever your choice.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #32 on: Mar 29, 2004, 06:26 »
just outta curiosity, last night on the news there was a report about the nuke problem some thirty yrs ago at three mile island or something like that(i think thats the name of it) and there is some huge controversy about nuclear power and how long it will last. there hasnt been a nuclear license issued since that incident.

They have to be careful how they word their statement to be factual. Since the 1979 Three Mile Island oops, there has not been a new construction plant licensed in the United States. Of course, about half of the operating licenses were granted since 1979, construction was already in progress in 1979.
Additionally, South Korea and Japan are building new nukes like nobody's business.

The question you seem to be asking is how long will this industry be viable without new construction in the US. With many plants licenses being extended, the majority of plants will still be operating in 30 years. Reclaiming the site takes years, and D&D assignments pay as well as operating sites. That means an additional 5-10 years of full employment in the industry after many plants start shutting down.

I don't think any other industry in the US could project a 40 year employment potential. Look at the number of people employed in farming or the telephone industry if you really want to see staffing reductions due to technology!

Marlin is right in his post that there are opportunities for new construction (or even completing some of the unfinished TVA plants!)  Even without additional construction, license extensions have made this an attractive field for this years high school graduates.

When people talk of the demise of Nukes, they are referring to the fact that in 1978 it looked like half of the country's electricity would be nuke generated by today. 20% is a fairly accurate amount of total electricity production.

Make sure you vote conservative if you want to see new nukes built.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline slarmox2

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #33 on: Mar 30, 2004, 11:59 »
Adidas,

First let me say again congrats for going nuke and going Navy. I myself am a Navy Nuke. I have been active duty for 9 months now and I am excited for the future. I personally voluteered for subs. You get paid about and extra $1200 per year starting out and that increases significatly with more sub time. My first preference will also be Boomer subs (Fleet Ballistic Missle submarines.) I like the other shipmate who was a fellow Boomer like the schedule. I hate the idea of being on a carrier or a submarine for that matter for a full six months not being able to see my family (I'm married). I would rather go out in 2-3 month increments. Since you are not married, maybe you wouldn't mind being out for 6 months at a time. That way you could visit ports and "see the world" as they say. You also have more choices of where you are stationed if you Choose to be on Fast Attack subs or Carriers. Going boomer subs you have two options, Kings Bay, GA (right on the Florida state line and East coast), or Bangor, WA almost as northwest as one can get in the US with out living in Hawaii.

With that said, I would like to respond to some of the most recent posts.

I did my english papers on the Nuclear industry and feel I, too, have a pretty good outlook on the future of Nuke power in america. Like one poster stated at least 40 yrs before any of the current power plants would stop supplying jobs. I do not forsee this happening though. Bush is pushing for an increase in Nuke power plants in the new energy bill. There has been a significant decrease in Nuclear engineers in the past few years and most of the original nuke engineers are scheduled for retirement. This is a career that is highly demanded. There is a lot of money to be earned even in the navy with this field, more than eny other enlisted career, I believe.

With that said, I encourage you to apply for the CASH program for 1 full year. If you are awarded the CASH program, go to a community college and take Calculus I and II and Calculus based Physics I and II. This and a good ACT or SAT score will almost guarantee you a chance at an officer acension program called STA-21 (seaman to admiral). As a previous poster mentioned the navy will pay you a salary for 3 full years while you earn your bachelors degree and then commission you as an office in the USN. Then you will owe the USN 5 years after you are commisisioned. I have more details because I have taken the time to research everything about my opportunities and if I can help in any way feel free to email me.

Go Nuke
Go Navy
Go Now

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Mar 31, 2004, 12:02 »
Great info with good specifics someone out for 9 years can't provide! +Karma slarmox2
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Adidas2806

« Reply #35 on: Mar 31, 2004, 10:19 »
ya know, now the more i think about it i am being more pursuaded to go submarine. i do adnmit that the thought of it all is appealing. I definetly have intrest in seeing the world(already having been in 7 countries and on over 60 planes by the time i was 17)
    slarmox-how do yuo exactly go for the cash program?do i apply for it now, during, or after bootcamp?and then would i do it before during or after nuke school? i havent headr of this program yet and i have been trying to look into every possibility.
     it is also a relief tyo know that this uindustry will be viable for at least the next forty years and most probably longer than that.
     but i can say that if i do decide to go sub, i will definetly be going for officer, as i have heard theyre living conditions on subs are a little bit more accomodationg, especiall if im fgonna be in one for 6 months. which is the best way to become an officer??
thanks again everyone-off to the gym now
sean

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Mar 31, 2004, 06:19 »
itrimble's post was split to a new thread.

Offline slarmox2

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:45 »
Adidas,

The best way I could inform you of everything I know would be to tell you in person or over the phone, but that would not benefit many of the others who are seeking similar advice about this subject. I will get on later tonight after I finish playing basketball and my English homework. I will then let you know more of what I know.

Question.. When is your RTC Shipdate? What is your HS GPA? Do you have any college done? If so GPA? Are you in scouting? Do you know anyone else who is interested in signing up in the program? Have you taken the ACT or SAT? What was your score?

Later,

Slarmo
x2
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2004, 09:49 by slarmox2 »

Adidas2806

« Reply #38 on: Apr 01, 2004, 12:10 »
the earliest they can get me to boot as of now is nov 8th. i really didnt want to wait that long, and my recruiter is going to try and get me outta here around august so i dont have to be in bc while theres snow, cant imagine that being much fun.
no college done, but hs gpa is 3.2 and i only took the sat's once and got a 1070. i know i can do better than tghat though, i took them without studying one bit, just went in and took em. im planning on taking them once more and cramming really hard for them, aiming for at leats a 1300.

dezelman

« Reply #39 on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:32 »
Great info, I'm in the same boat as adidas and this has helped me out quite a bit.

Flooznie

« Reply #40 on: Apr 04, 2004, 05:31 »
LOL....I have to laugh when I compare peoples attitudes on this forum from those who are still in prototype to those who just left the boat and got out of the Navy.  It is night and day.  Look through the posts and see the ones that haven't got to the boat and stuff are like "go navy! hoo-rah!", and then look at posts from people who did the 6 and got out! LOL

ET1 (SS)

Adidas2806

« Reply #41 on: Apr 12, 2004, 09:19 »
just how are the living conditions on base at nuke school? are they set up like college dorms? roommates? can you live off base? recreational or fun stuff to do?thoguh i know we wont have much time for it! >:(

Jorderon

« Reply #42 on: Apr 19, 2004, 01:39 »
The living conditions in Charleston are great.  In Power School you get your own room unless they're overcrowded, in which case you might have one (My class, 0305 had a few people with roomates).  In A-School you WILL have a roommate unless you luck out and theres some oversight.  Rooms are about the size of a normal bedroom, slighly larger for the double rooms in the A-School Barracks (You will move between A-School and Powerschool)

The barracks have enough room for a  TV with  game systems or whatever, and possibly a computer if you really want one, you will probably have time to use it reguardless of what everyone says about how hard NPS is, I had one, I made it through ok, but I have no freaking idea what do with it when I get to the fleet in a few months.

The Barracks are new, the AC works, a big plus in the summer months of South Carolina (1000% humidity and 100 Degrees) , and its all on Uncle Sams dime.  The food is "free" by that I mean, you pay for it reguardless so you may as well eat it.  The galley food isnt half bad actually when compared to real food, however the Breakfast is definetly worth waking up for in my opinion.  Its gourmet compared to the "Food" they serve you at boot camp.

As for recreation or fun.  In A-School your SLPO might think that "Mandatory Class Fun" is a good idea.  In which you will probably muster in some predetermined location and do some activity that dosent involve anything relating to what you would rather be doing at the time, in the middle of your weekend or perhaps during happy hour, so you might have to deal with that.  Otherwise go to the beach during the summer (Myrtle Beach is close enough to go to without a chit or anything,)  Charleston has stuff do to, dispite popular belief,  probably not as fun as when NPS was in  Orlando, Florida, but I havent been around long enough to comment on that.

All in all, NPS wasnt that bad.  In fact in hindsight it was easy.  Enjoy, I know I did.

Mah1985

« Reply #43 on: Apr 19, 2004, 11:24 »
I just wanted to say thanks to everybody. This has been a great source of information. I'm shipping to RTC on aug 5 and am counting the days. see ya in charleston.

Mark

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Apr 19, 2004, 11:43 »
Mah,
Congratulations on the beginning of your journey. I believe all young men should serve in the military in some form. Of ocurse, I think Nuke Navy is the best way. I appreciate your hard work and the service you will provide on behalf of us civillians.

Keep us posted when you get out of Boot Camp. Tolerate Great Lakes and love Charleston.
 8)

Mah1985

« Reply #45 on: Apr 22, 2004, 09:46 »
What are the classes at a-school and power school like? how long are the classes? how many people on average are in a class?

Envy Digital

« Reply #46 on: Apr 25, 2004, 07:34 »
Hello all.

First of all, I love this site! I have learned so much and almost every question I had before reaching this site has been answered.  I haven't taken the ASVAB or any other Military aptitude test, but I've scored 99's on every practice exam, I had a 3.8 HS GPA, and a 1380 SAT score, and A's in AP Physics and Calculus AB and BC.  So, I expect to do well, and I would love to join the Navy Nuke program. It seems very intellectually vigorous and I would love the challenge, not to mention it's very beneficient. So let's say I take the ASVAB this week, what is the shortest alotted time between then and arriving to Boot Camp? I am looking forward to enlist. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Adidas2806

« Reply #47 on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:12 »
that all depends i suppose, they wont give you an exact date untill you sign the papers and that wont be untill you take the ASVAB. in all honestly, im pretty much in the same boat as you with school.(though  i didnt take any AP courses, was kind of a slacker, regret it now,cant change it) but i got good grages in all my classes. i enlisted this past february, and the earliest they could get me out is november. if you were enlisting in as anything else, there is much more flexibility, so they could get you out there next week. Some people may of dropped out and there are more openings, but i wouldnt know that.
     Great thing about going in november is a 10,000 enlistment bonus, plus that all navy nukes start at E-3, 2 paygrades abpve everyone else. i havent gone to bootcamp or the nuke school yet, but take it from all of these guys-its an awesome oppurtunity. take the ASVAB no matter what you decide and see what doors open up.
Sean

Envy Digital

« Reply #48 on: Apr 27, 2004, 01:57 »
Thanks man. I asked because, from reading everyone's experiences, it's seems like the Nuke program is one of the best routes to go into in any military branch and I am just getting a little anxious.  I have some traffic fines to take care of before I go to the MEP, but I am excited about my chances of getting in, although still a little apprehensive about Boot Camp. I'm a Southern boy so I would like to avoid going in in the winter, but I am also ready to get out this crummy town. lol
I was pretty academically aggressive in HS only so I could get into a good college. Well, I did, I got accepted into Washington University in St. Louis, which is a Top 10 university, nationally. I left there because first, it costs nearly 40k a year to attend, and secondly, I had a slow start and couldn't recover during my freshman year. So now I am trying get back on my feet and at the same time service my country.
How was the interview process? Can you get the Seaman-to-Admiral program included in your contract? 
Congrats on getting in, hopefully we'll cross paths in Charleston.

Adidas2806

« Reply #49 on: Apr 27, 2004, 03:34 »
lol, have fun when you get everything straightned out and are ready for MEPS, its a 2 day process. for me, i went on a monday night, took the ASVAB, and then they bussed us to a hotel, where they then wake you up at 4:00am. buss you back to meps where it takes the entire day to take your physical and sign all the paperwork. all in all you will have about 5 hours of just waiting with nothing to do. take a book if you can. seaman to admiral program im not sure of, maybe someone else on this site can give you that answer. im not sure how you go about getting into that program.
since its a 2 yr thing, im certain well run into each other at charleston. itd be good going into there knowing someone versus noone

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?