Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ballston Spa vs Goose Creek

Author Topic: Ballston Spa vs Goose Creek  (Read 20715 times)

drainbamage

Ballston Spa vs Goose Creek
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:43 »
I'm looking for someone who currently is, or recently was (graduated student) on a prototype in New York or South Carolina.

I've got a few questions about the area that I can't seem to get straightened out.

Anyone who can help, I'd appreciate a pm so we could chat.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Ballston Spa vs Goose Creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:51 »
Ballston spa is not in the south, what more do you need to know?  :P

Justin

Offline owsi84621

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:26 »
How about someone who lives outside the Weapons Station at Goose Creek? It's a quiet and relaxed area. You can visit the beach any time or in a couple of hours be inthe mountains.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:22 »
I was in Charleston as a Staff member for 3 years and still have family(in laws) in Summerville.  If you are wondering which P-type to go to for shore duty, well you might as well be asking yourself which one of your legs you would rather shoot.  Both are going to be painful, but you might find one has a little less overall bad effect than the other.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:42 »
SPU in Charleston. Graduated in Sept of 2007.

Shoot me a pm if there's anything you'd like to know.

floyd_n

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:55 »
PM'd ya. Stay in Charleston.

drainbamage

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:47 »
Appreciate the pms, looks like I'll be hold company for a couple months so I've got some time to decide.

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:01 »
Since in both cases you are off base, commuting problems are a factor.  If you are going to be in BS in the winter driving conditions can be a problem.  I'm not sure about BS, but near GC there are several large apartment complexes where a number of the students live.  Even though there are different shifts and boats/reactors, it is quite likely that car pooling will be a money and time saving option.  If you like cold go north, if you like hot and humid stay south.  Of course, it depends on when you are doing it which is a factor, but if wherever you go shuts down (like BS did) while you are there you may be able to enjoy or suffer through all four seasons.  Both places are great when the weather is right.  The converse is also true.

135i

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:16 »
Outside of work I prefer NY much more than SC. The winters are long up here but if you're into winter sports (snowboarding, skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc.) it makes it more bearable. The other three seasons here are great. You've got NYC, Montreal, Boston, Niagara Falls and Philly all reasonably close, Lake George, racing season in Saratoga, the Adirondacks/Adirondack National Park, rafting on the Hudson river. I've done all of that except Niagara falls in the 2 years I've been up here. Downtown Saratoga has a nice nightlife as well.

I didn't like Goose Creek at all. I'm from a warm coastal area and it was like a crappier version of home. I was under 21 when I was there though.

Marvin

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:01 »
It really depends on what you are used to.  I went to prototype in Ballston Spa (before you were born) and then went to a special school in Charleston a few years later.  Me being from Arkansas made New York a real shocker, especially since I moved there in February but I found it bearable.  The people from New York are different than they are in the south to say the least.  They really got under my skin at first until I realized they were all whack jobs and it was part of their culture to be less polite than the people from the south.

Bottom line = if you are southern, then go south.  If you are a yank, then go north.  There wasn't a southern path in my era or I woulda went there.

Best of luck to ya.  Truth is the navy is gonna run you through the ringer and you probably won't see much daylight one way or the other but keep your head down and work your tail off and you'll make it through.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and prototype is a prime example.

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2009, 11:30 »
Yo MARSSIM, is he tawkina bout meanyou? Ya want I should tawkta Vinnie bout it?

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2009, 11:38 »
Ballston spa is not in the south, what more do you need to know?  :P

Justin

I guess it's better to be a smart a..  than a dumb a..

I was in both locations OP.  Your age and where you are from would help a lot.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Offline AFT21

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:16 »
and it was part of their culture to be less polite than the people from the south.

What he's saying is, in New England the cashier at the supermarket isn't going to make small talk with you because he knows that even if you don't have something you need to be doing, the guy behind you does.  People are going to flip you off when you drive stupid so that you know not to do that in the future.  If you're annoying, they're not going to be nice so that you leave them alone.  They don't smile in your face while thinking they can't stand you, they don't coddle you, and they don't waste your time.

They're actually a lot like a lot of nukes that I know.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2009, 04:28 »
1)  Not so    :-X .  We do it with a smile and a soooooooothingly slower twang.  And just maybe use a little code language.   :o

2)  And, that about sums it up.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Had to give you +K....couldn't leave you hangin' at 1899
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:44 »
psssst!, it's okay pal, we use emoticons just to keep it friendly ribbing and not nasty slander,... ;)

It's okay also.  I was teasing Justin.  I know him in real life, so I was ribbing him.

It's funny that since I didn't use an emoticon I got negative Karma points.   

Sweeeeet!

8)
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009, 09:04 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:39 »
ballston spa > goose creek...

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:58 »
ballston spa > goose creek...

I agree naturally.  I could be slightly biased since 3 of my first 4 years were spent there though.

Horse racing in the summer>> black flag days and mosquito dodging

Let's not even talk about the extreme life threat that is driving in SC!!

mizzyung

« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2009, 03:39 »
Hello.

Depends on if you're trying to get your training done quickly and get out to the fleet or get stuck on hold A LOT. In the past 2 years, the NY prototype has had it's fair share of set backs and break downs and complete shutdowns to where most students have been getting put on hold for months and stalled in their training process'. They've even begun to cut orders to send some students back down here to Charleston fron NY bc they are having so many problems. Trust me, I know...It causes more work and hours for the instructors down here in SC trying to push the students through. I hear the complaints EVERYDAY when my husband gets home. As far as everything else, I have friends in NY NPTU and the delays and hurry up and wait games are the only complaints I personally have heard about NY.

NukeNub

« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2009, 03:57 »
I lived in SC @ proto for 3 years as a student and married SPU-ELT from 97 - 2000.

I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere, wife played on local softball teams, we spent weekends at Isle of Palms/Sullivans Island and toured the historical aspects of the low country.

Fishing and Crabbing are fun.

I can't knock NY because I have never been there.

Summers can be brutal, though, but winters can be brutal in NY.

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2009, 04:14 »
well, now your back at neutral karma, some folks here are a bit testy on the negative karma thing,.....

I actually thought it was funny.  That's why I used an emoticon   :P  ;D

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:19 »
very funny  :P :P :P :P

hehehehehe

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:17 »
I guess it's better to be a smart a..  than a dumb a..

I was in both locations OP.  Your age and where you are from would help a lot.

You could read what I wrote either way, which is why I wrote it the way I wrote it.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?