Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Help a old timer find a Job!

Author Topic: Help a old timer find a Job!  (Read 6008 times)

trschlueter

Help a old timer find a Job!
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:00 »
I had no idea it would be this hard to get back in the business after 2 years.  I'll bet I have applied for over a hundred jobs on line, and still have not found a job.  Not all the jobs I put in for were in the Nuclear field.  I guess it is the economy or my age (57).  Anyhow I am in good health, was considered a good Senior tech, and did my job without making any waves, 21 years in the industry.  I had experience in Radwaste Shipping Assessments, Chemistry, Calibration of Survey Meters, Rad Surveys, Whole body counting, Final Status Surveys for decommissioning our plant which was completed in 2006 (successfully), and then I took an early retirement.  To make a long story short, since I am less than 59 and 1/2 years old, I got penalized each time I had to take money out of my retirement account, as well as income taxes.  I have just enough money left to pay next months bills and after that it will be gone!  I did not spend extravagantly, just paid my bills.  I have resumes with Bartlett, Entergy, FPL, USAJOBS and a bunch of others.  I need a job badly in the next few weeks, I would take any position I am qualified for even as a junior tech or deconner.  Anybody have any leads?  I do not have NRRPT certification and have never taken the NEU exam.  I would be forever in your debt if someone can find me a job soon!
                                                               Desparate in Michigan

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: Help a old timer find a Job!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:32 »
good luck.
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:43 »
I had no idea it would be this hard to get back in the business after 2 years.  I'll bet I have applied for over a hundred jobs on line, and still have not found a job.  Not all the jobs I put in for were in the Nuclear field.  I guess it is the economy or my age (57).  Anyhow I am in good health, was considered a good Senior tech, and did my job without making any waves, 21 years in the industry.  I had experience in Radwaste Shipping Assessments, Chemistry, Calibration of Survey Meters, Rad Surveys, Whole body counting, Final Status Surveys for decommissioning our plant which was completed in 2006 (successfully), and then I took an early retirement.  To make a long story short, since I am less than 59 and 1/2 years old, I got penalized each time I had to take money out of my retirement account, as well as income taxes.  I have just enough money left to pay next months bills and after that it will be gone!  I did not spend extravagantly, just paid my bills.  I have resumes with Bartlett, Entergy, FPL, USAJOBS and a bunch of others.  I need a job badly in the next few weeks, I would take any position I am qualified for even as a junior tech or deconner.  Anybody have any leads?  I do not have NRRPT certification and have never taken the NEU exam.  I would be forever in your debt if someone can find me a job soon!
                                                               Desparate in Michigan

Keep talking to Bartlett at least every other day...they have the most contracts and are most likely to have something break open at the last minute (if someone no-shows at an outage, etc).  Get your resume in to Atlantic (if you haven't already) and follow the same contact routine with them...they are the 2nd biggest player in the fields you are interested in.

Outage season is ramping up, so I would think your chances are pretty good of catching a contract job soon...

AND, let Bartlett know you are willing to work DOE...there are usually DOE-slots opening up when techs leave for outages...

As far as the long-term work goes (Entergy, FPL, etc), keep plugging away - wallpaper the world with your resume.  There's a lot of hiring in all nuclear disciplines going on right now, so you will get an interview...eventually...  BUT, the utilities are slow...don't hold your breath for it to happen soon.  And don't set your sights on any particular plant...be ready to relocate to whatever area of the country you least enjoy (that seems to be the way it works out for the ones who NEED the work...)

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2009, 08:13 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:19 »
IM me an email address or your resume ASAP.  I'll be checking to see what's available through the office in the meantime.  Let me know of any restrictions on travel or work too, OK?
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:49 »
trschlueter, Check your IM box!
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?