Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu any Degree?
honeypot

Author Topic: any Degree?  (Read 23824 times)

blonderocker1343

any Degree?
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:03 »
While in the navy and going through the schooling, do you ever come out with any sort of degree? ( might depend on the field, but can you get any degree at all?)

im sure there a post with these answers but i couldn't find it :(

DSO

Re: any Degree?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:28 »
While in the navy and going through the schooling, do you ever come out with any sort of degree? ( might depend on the field, but can you get any degree at all?)

im sure there a post with these answers but i couldn't find it :(
No--This BS Lt from DC came to my last command( in 2005) and raved about how the Navy's 5 vector program. Basically how all the Colleges would allow credit for almost every Navy school there is and being in the Navy would be such a privilege that there would be people fighting to get in because they would be getting paid and getting a college degree at the same time--What a bunch of BS--I got 16-19 credits awarded for electives from Nuke pipeline from Chapman University. A lot of sleazier colleges will give you a lot more-----but the standards for what is a legitimate Bachelors degree for federal jobs is that at least 80% of your credits be traditional--that is from a college with a letter grade--not life experience granted credits or CLEPS. Some employers will value a sleazier degree over none though--but when transcripts are looked at you can see the real story--I am sure recruiters are blabbing about all the college credits you get from Nuke School, but what they don't tell you is that the more credits allowed--the sleazier and non-traditional is the degree.

blonderocker1343

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:42 »
so..well.. that sucks. How's life if you dont want to re-enlist? go to college for schooling again? and spend more years of your life learning than doing?

DSO

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:00 »
so..well.. that sucks. How's life if you dont want to re-enlist? go to college for schooling again? and spend more years of your life learning than doing?
Got my BSBA and MBA on shore duties, retired at 20 and done with school. The college degrees will mean less than you finishing the Navy Nuclear pipelines to any power plant or utility---I am a Distribution System Operator and don't use my business degrees for anything yet. I would not put too much emphasis on College-

blonderocker1343

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:15 »
My cheif at my station told me, employers find you and offer contracts and such for nuke guys.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:50 »
If you plan on getting an engineering degree(real engineering degree and not a Engineering Tech degree) be prepared for the fact that there aren't a lot of colleges(at least where I am at) that offer engineering level courses at night.  So if you truly want that degree, make sure you plan for this.  It is going to take me 4 years to get an associates because I work during the day and can only squeeze in one class a semester during the day.  I don't know about Commercial plants and how those work for degrees, but if you plan on working full time consider a job with a second or third shift. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

S3GLMS

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:12 »
There is only one university in the Country that will let you take approved ABET Classes online, while enrolled in a Engineering Degree Program, at any time of the day leading to the full degree in Engineering.  That is The University of North Dakota.  You can be located any where in the country.  You still need to take the class in the semester schedule but they are flexible on test dates and online homework assignments.  They will give you about 18 undergraduate credits like you would see listed on the ACE Smart transcript for lower level Engineering and base coursework, no vocational courses.  Then you can take most of the Llib ED courses for about $200 per credit.  The Engineering courses are another matter, they cost about $480 per credit.  But, you can sure get the traditional graded ABET Engineeriong Course work done online.  They have admission requirements and GPA requirements to continue to be enrolled.  It is a challenge, even for nukes, but it sure met my schedule while I was working a full time job. 

Gettting another type of degree from a liberal arts college is a whole different matter.  They will give you many more credits from your Navy Smart Transcript.  So, it is a matter of understanding where you want to take your education to your next position in life.  I know a lot of people who received degrees from Excelsior College online and Thomas Edison State University and it was relatively easy to get credits from NNPS, NFAS and NPTU allowed.  Then, only a few courses were required to get a Bachelors degree in science or technology. 

I know from my experience though, that all of those Navy ungraded credits on your transcript will cause red flags when trying to transfer them into an ABET college Engineering program and it takes some time to try to get them accepted.  I completely recommend completing education over the time one spends in the service and using tuition assistance and the GI bill if available.  The cost of college is enormous today and it is difficult to try and pay fo any type of a higher education.  Hopefully as time goes on there will be more Online opportunities for College degrees that are more receptive to the Navy Nuclear training Credit Evaluation.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:39 »
If your primary goal is an engineering degree and a future PE license or other nonnuclear related degree I would not join the nuclear program. The new GI bill is a fantactic benefit and only requires 36 months of active service to be qualified. I can't offer any specific program advice. However I knew a BM (boswins mate) at the Little creek base who worked with landing craft (kinda look like those things from the D-day invasion) his ASVAB and NFQT (recruiter made him take it) qualified him for the nuclear program he declined and chose a rating that he felt he would excel in and have time for college classes. He had a four year enlistment and during those four years worked through TA and PACE courses to finish the misc classes like English and social science electives. His plan was to use the MGIB and finish his last two years in a state school. I haven't seen him in years so I cant tell you if he succeeded or not however his plan was sound.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:47 »
There is only one university in the Country that will let you take approved ABET Classes online, while enrolled in a Engineering Degree Program, at any time of the day leading to the full degree in Engineering.  That is The University of North Dakota.  You can be located any where in the country.  You still need to take the class in the semester schedule but they are flexible on test dates and online homework assignments.  They will give you about 18 undergraduate credits like you would see listed on the ACE Smart transcript for lower level Engineering and base coursework, no vocational courses.  Then you can take most of the Llib ED courses for about $200 per credit.  The Engineering courses are another matter, they cost about $480 per credit.  But, you can sure get the traditional graded ABET Engineeriong Course work done online.  They have admission requirements and GPA requirements to continue to be enrolled.  It is a challenge, even for nukes, but it sure met my schedule while I was working a full time job. 

Gettting another type of degree from a liberal arts college is a whole different matter.  They will give you many more credits from your Navy Smart Transcript.  So, it is a matter of understanding where you want to take your education to your next position in life.  I know a lot of people who received degrees from Excelsior College online and Thomas Edison State University and it was relatively easy to get credits from NNPS, NFAS and NPTU allowed.  Then, only a few courses were required to get a Bachelors degree in science or technology. 

I know from my experience though, that all of those Navy ungraded credits on your transcript will cause red flags when trying to transfer them into an ABET college Engineering program and it takes some time to try to get them accepted.  I completely recommend completing education over the time one spends in the service and using tuition assistance and the GI bill if available.  The cost of college is enormous today and it is difficult to try and pay fo any type of a higher education.  Hopefully as time goes on there will be more Online opportunities for College degrees that are more receptive to the Navy Nuclear training Credit Evaluation.

I am working on my BS in ME or NE going to the local community college.  The ONLY thing that I got to transfer was Speech.  I have taken everything else in class.  Of course I am only now getting to the point I can take Physics, Statics, Dynamics and chemistry(which will be over the next two years).  Luckily I am currently taking my last math course, D.E.(at least I hope it is).

blonderocker1343

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:46 »
because a degree is pretty much non exsistant, how's finding a job after your service?

I would like to do my time, and if i choose to leave, be able to get a job ( of course, probally in the same field) right after service.

I dont want to do all this schooling, and time, and when i get out, no degree, and no job. (good job, 50k +)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:33 »
However I knew a BM (boswins mate) at the Little creek base who worked with landing craft (kinda look like those things from the D-day invasion) his ASVAB and NFQT (recruiter made him take it) qualified him for the nuclear program he declined and chose a rating that he felt he would excel in and have time for college classes. He had a four year enlistment and during those four years worked through TA and PACE courses to finish the misc classes like English and social science electives. His plan was to use the MGIB and finish his last two years in a state school. I haven't seen him in years so I cant tell you if he succeeded or not however his plan was sound.

If your looking for free time to do classes, BM is not one of the rates I would choose. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JsonD13

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:14 »
I know from my experience though, that all of those Navy ungraded credits on your transcript will cause red flags when trying to transfer them into an ABET college Engineering program and it takes some time to try to get them accepted. 

So where do you get your experience from?  I had no problems transferring my degree (TESC) into a masters program with an ABET school (yes their program was ABET too).

because a degree is pretty much non exsistant, how's finding a job after your service?

I would like to do my time, and if i choose to leave, be able to get a job ( of course, probally in the same field) right after service.

I dont want to do all this schooling, and time, and when i get out, no degree, and no job. (good job, 50k +)

Degrees are not non-existant in the Navy.  You have to want to put in the time and effort to finish.  There are plenty of people with their BS's, and some with MS's.  To me, it sounds like you just want to either go to school full time or work, not both at the same time.  You may want to check into how much you will be working when you get to the fleet, because you might be in for a surprise too.  But if you want what you want, just suck it up and do it.

Oh yeah, 50k isnt tough to make right out of the Navy with no degree.  You just have to apply yourself.  Jobs do not hunt you, you hunt them. ;-)

Jason

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:46 »

No matter how hard you look, you will NEVER find a job outside of the Navy that will encompass everything you are required to do while IN the navy.  You could be an operator, but you won't be doing maintenance(except maybe outages, then again I don't know for sure).  You can do QA but you won't be operating or acutally doing the work.  You can do maintenance but you won't be QA or operating or the scheduling(see the pattern forming). 

50K+ jobs are pretty easy to find.  Just remember that when you get out, don't count on overtime to reach that 50K unless it is built into the schedule.  Bad times economically usually lead to forceful cutbacks in overtime pay. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:20 »
Just to add to what the others said, jobs are out there, you just have to put in the work to find them. Contrary to what many seperating navy nukes think, people aren't lined up outside the gates looking to hand you a 6 figure job.

Justin

misterbensin

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:39 »
Has any one completed, enrolled in or even looked more thoroughly than a simple web surf into the programs as ODU or Renssalear? From all I've seen both school's programs are well if not (in the case of Renssalear) highly regarded. From what I see you have to be stationed in New York for Renssalear though.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2009, 07:16 »
Has any one completed, enrolled in or even looked more thoroughly than a simple web surf into the programs as ODU or Renssalear? From all I've seen both school's programs are well if not (in the case of Renssalear) highly regarded. From what I see you have to be stationed in New York for Renssalear though.

ODU offers a Masters of Engineering Management degree via  CD-Rom courses to officers who complete nuclear power training.

I finished the ODU program back in 2003, so it may have changed slightly in the last six years.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

S3GLMS

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2009, 10:04 »
So where do you get your experience from?  I had no problems transferring my degree (TESC) into a masters program with an ABET school (yes their program was ABET too)  JsonD13 .

Here is where my experience comes from and many others I have discussed this with have had similar experiences.

1. Univ. of ND School of Engineering and Mines, 2. Univ. of Minnesota Institute of Technology, 3. University of New York...  None would accept a Navy Smart transcript, and they would not accept the credits on the University of New York Regents college degree I held from 1990, not even the Excelsior Degree program which was ABET accredited in 1998 would accept all of the Navy courses into their ABET Technology degree program, and that is now the Univ. of New York Regents College, it was rolled into Excelsior and my transcripts now say Excelsior on the cover letter they send.

Specifically I am talking about the navy credits in Reactor Systems, Technology, Chemistry, Atomic Physics, radiology.  None of these would transfer directly because of the ABET credit course description requirements at each of the Universities.  ( If you carefully read the recommendation for credit information it discusses the U, L ,V etc on the smart transcript information and it dismisses any responsibility to allow acceptance any where it is entirely up to the program which you are applying. They require certain numbers of hours and levels of accreditation that do not exist in the Navy even though certain colleges do give credit for the courses.  I fought with them for six months to get the University of ND to accept 3 classes from the Nuke school training, and that was all I could get them to accept.  Other Universities were even less receptive.  Although, if I wanted a degree in Social science they would most likely transfer most of the credits that they could find an application for in their program requirements. 

Samabby

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2009, 02:58 »
Blondie, Maybe it's just me, but you seem to be seeking the easy way through life. If this is the case (and I apologize if I am making a bad assumption), you may want to rethink the Nuke avenue. It is not paved and will demand a great deal of effort on your part.

At any rate, thanks for thinking about serving. Good luck.  8)

formerET1Han

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 10:12 »
The Excelsior BS Nuc Eng Tech (yes Eng Tech) is an ABET accredited degree. Mostly, you just have to close out the general studies stuff. That being said, the degree by itself is nearly worthless (mostly because no one seems to care about the ABET accreditation). It does satisfy the requirements for Shift Technical Advisor (a Senior Reactor Operator's license position) and for Engineering officer programs (at least in the Reserves). I have not yet applied to any graduate programs, but WHAT your BS is in does not seem to matter; only your GPA and your GMAT/GRE scores, and to a smaller extent, work experience. In that regard the Navy Nuke thing is worth considering. Remember though, to get roughly 2 years of school, you have to go through 6 years of being a nuke...4 of which are awfully painful. It's worth it if you don't have self control (a huge percentage of people drop out if they go right out of hs) or you don't have the money (or don't want to owe money). I did it for the balance...6 years in (and a couple of really, really sh***y years), I all but finished my BS (I had 1 semester worth of work after my AP scores and dual credit from HS) and had a little money in the bank.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:49 by Nuclear NASCAR »

JsonD13

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 04:45 »

Here is where my experience comes from and many others I have discussed this with have had similar experiences.

1. Univ. of ND School of Engineering and Mines, 2. Univ. of Minnesota Institute of Technology, 3. University of New York...  None would accept a Navy Smart transcript, and they would not accept the credits on the University of New York Regents college degree I held from 1990, not even the Excelsior Degree program which was ABET accredited in 1998 would accept all of the Navy courses into their ABET Technology degree program, and that is now the Univ. of New York Regents College, it was rolled into Excelsior and my transcripts now say Excelsior on the cover letter they send.

Specifically I am talking about the navy credits in Reactor Systems, Technology, Chemistry, Atomic Physics, radiology.  None of these would transfer directly because of the ABET credit course description requirements at each of the Universities.  ( If you carefully read the recommendation for credit information it discusses the U, L ,V etc on the smart transcript information and it dismisses any responsibility to allow acceptance any where it is entirely up to the program which you are applying. They require certain numbers of hours and levels of accreditation that do not exist in the Navy even though certain colleges do give credit for the courses.  I fought with them for six months to get the University of ND to accept 3 classes from the Nuke school training, and that was all I could get them to accept.  Other Universities were even less receptive.  Although, if I wanted a degree in Social science they would most likely transfer most of the credits that they could find an application for in their program requirements. 

We mightve been talking about two different things.  In my specific situation I turned the non-ABET Thomas Edison degree into two masters programs at pretty well known colleges (Southern Methodist University and Oregon State University) and am about ready to finish my second masters in Health Physics.  I don't think I was reading well enough that day to see that you were talking about a BS......

Jason

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 08:20 »
Jason...Go Beavs!

bigjer25

« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2009, 11:46 »
Ok I hope this helps.
I  just got done doing the whole "find my nuclear civilian job" due to being medically disqual'd off a sub.  I am a prior enlisted(Sub EM) officer. 
There are great nuclear paying jobs IF: you have a degree and experience.  I cannot overemphasize the importance of a legitimate degree.
DO NOT think the Eng Tech degree will be treated the same as an ABET Eng degree.  Yes, the employers know about Thomas Edison and the other degree factories, I heard it from their mouths.
I was offered 92K plus bonus/moving/signing bonus. That was based on having a legit degree and EOOW qual'd.
I specifically asked about enlisted operators with great experience, but no degree.  I was told everytime (6 plants) under those circumstances, they would start at the operator level around 50K.  If that is what you want, then great.  I am just trying to relate the real world experiences I have dealt with.
When I was enlisted we would sit around hearing about these six-figure jobs waiting for us when we got out.  Not true.  I cant tell you how many shipmates of mine have learned the hard way over the last 12 years.

I am more than willing to share more details if interested.
Hope this helps.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2009, 11:53 »
was your offer for instant SRO or plant operator or ?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2009, 07:32 »
Ok I hope this helps.
I  just got done doing the whole "find my nuclear civilian job" due to being medically disqual'd off a sub.  I am a prior enlisted(Sub EM) officer. 
There are great nuclear paying jobs IF: you have a degree and experience.  I cannot overemphasize the importance of a legitimate degree.
DO NOT think the Eng Tech degree will be treated the same as an ABET Eng degree.  Yes, the employers know about Thomas Edison and the other degree factories, I heard it from their mouths.
I was offered 92K plus bonus/moving/signing bonus. That was based on having a legit degree and EOOW qual'd.
I specifically asked about enlisted operators with great experience, but no degree.  I was told everytime (6 plants) under those circumstances, they would start at the operator level around 50K.  If that is what you want, then great.  I am just trying to relate the real world experiences I have dealt with.
When I was enlisted we would sit around hearing about these six-figure jobs waiting for us when we got out.  Not true.  I cant tell you how many shipmates of mine have learned the hard way over the last 12 years.

I am more than willing to share more details if interested.
Hope this helps.

You got shorted. :)

Justin

co60slr

« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2009, 10:16 »
You got shorted. :)

Justin

Agreed.  He certainly did.  But...

I was accepted into an ABET Engineering Grad program after a "degree factory" school.  Additionally, my job search wasn't at all hampered by the non-ABET Nuke Eng Tech degree.  However, I have a decent resume also.   The "piece of paper" from ANY college is just that...a piece of paper. 

That said...a Nuke Tech degree will NOT land you a job that requries a Professional Engineering (PE) license.  If your dream job is to design new reactors for Westinghouse, then yes...you need a full ABET engineering degree.

This thread is full of mis-information from that start (including what one can do in the Federal Government GS-840 engineering series).  In one case I'm very familiar with, a retired navy person hired into a GS-15 840 position with NO degree. 

Bottom line:  if you're talented/experienced, you'll get hired.  The more talented, the more money.  Different employers...different needs.   If a Hiring Manager wants/needs you, you're in.  If you're an idiot with a piece of paper, then your job offer (or lack thereof) reflects reality.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?