Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Associate Plant Operator = Auxiliary Operator (AO)? honeypot

Author Topic: Associate Plant Operator = Auxiliary Operator (AO)?  (Read 7375 times)

heavymetal atom

Well the title pretty much says it all.  Is an "Associate Plant Operator" all that different than an "Auxiliary Operator"?  I recently applied for 4 jobs through Constellation, 3 of which were Aux Operator positions and one of which was an Associate Plant Operator position.  I've been applying almost solely to AO/NLO positions at various sites, so thats what I am looking to get into.  However, the Associate Plant Operator listing seemed very similar to the other 3 and since it's at a nuke plant I thought it might be basically the same thing, or close to it.  However, it spoke of advancement to Plant Operator, when I'm used to seeing advancement to RO.  Maybe it's merely the wording of the app, which is slightly confusing, or maybe it's my own lack of understanding.   

I'll be taking the POSS test and interviewing with them on Monday so I'll find out if there is a significant difference soon enough.  I'm not even sure if I'll be wanted for the "Associate Plant Operator" position as the HR person who called to set up my interview mentioned Aux Op.  However, I wondered if one of the experienced nukes on here could possibly clarify this a bit, and maybe expose my lack of knowledge  :P  It would be nice to have a better grasp of what the difference is before the interview.  Thanks in advance!               

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Associate Plant Operator = Auxiliary Operator (AO)?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:55 »
Auxilliary Operator (AO) = Assistant Unit Operator (AUO) = Non Licensed Operator (NLO)

Reactor Operator (RO) = Unit Operator (UO)

I've never heard them called "Assistant Plant Operator" or "Plant Operator" before, but I'd be willing to bet APO goes on the top line and PO goes on the bottom line.  Each utility has it's own nomenclature.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:47 »
I'd bet that the Associate Plant Operator is the hire-in job which advances to Plant Operator after finishing training & quals. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

heavymetal atom

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:28 »
Auxilliary Operator (AO) = Assistant Unit Operator (AUO) = Non Licensed Operator (NLO)

I've never heard them called "Assistant Plant Operator" or "Plant Operator" before, but I'd be willing to bet APO goes on the top line and PO goes on the bottom line.  Each utility has it's own nomenclature.

Thank you both for the info!  This is basically what I was thinking.   

underpar3535

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 12:09 »
What utility are you looking at?

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:07 »

Assistant Plant Operator is what the job posting for Nine Mile Point called the position. In addition, when the HR person called me concerning my application, she referred to the position by the same name. Someone I've talked to that works there in house told me it was actually called Auxiliary Operator. APO must be what HR calls it, while Aux Op is what it really is.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?