Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking to become an NLO

Author Topic: Looking to become an NLO  (Read 4735 times)

MLG

Looking to become an NLO
« on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:04 »
Hello

I graduated last Spring with a BS in Aerospace Engineering and have spent some time working as an oil field engineer.  I'm now looking to break into commercial nuclear plant operations.  I've been sending out resume like crazy through corporate websites with little luck.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
~M

BoilerHP

Re: Looking to become an NLO
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:15 »
It is a pain to get your resume past HR... do you know anyone that currently works in a plant?

MLG

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:32 »
I have friends who work for FPL but not at a plant.  They've kept telling to be persistent.  I've known HR people at FPL for awhile (college recruiting fairs) but every time I've handed them a resume they just tell me that they'll pass it along and never seem to know when POSS is administered or when classes start.  Frustrating for sure.

BTW, FPL isn't necessarily my first choice but I went to school down here and didn't mind the weather too much. ;)  Seriously tho, I have no geographic preference.
~M

BoilerHP

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:37 »
Well I am a recent Health Physics grad... I am basically the same way with Exelon... Helped them with recruiting and had an internship. I know the university recruiters and senior management personnel well. It is simply the recruiters handling the union positions seem to be "slacking". I have also been told about turnover in those positions being part of the issue, due to in part their performance... or lack there of.

I have had a strong connection with people though and have passed the POSS as of last week ago, I am in waiting on an offer. Supposedly I have one, but for which site I do not know. Of course I am optimistic until I have it in writing. Feel free to PM me.

Update: I got the offer on 2/4/2009... Start on the 17th
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009, 08:02 by BoilerHP »

MLG

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:24 »
I got a call from CNS today.  They'll let me know by the end of this week if they want to fly me out there to interview/test.  They plan on starting an NLO class next month.  Fingers crossed!
~M

BoilerHP

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:02 »
That is a good step in the right direction, best of luck on getting to the next step.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:53 »
I wish you the best of luck.  I think NLOs fresh out of college with engineering degrees can be very good operators.  When you start out, study your butt off.  Study more than you did in college and show a hunger for learning the plant.  If you can get through the NLO quals in decent time frame you will get to a license class faster.  keep in mind their license is up in 2014.  I am betting they will get a 20 year extension, but don't bet the farm on it.  If you can get the experience now, you can always move to the new plants being planned later.

Again, good luck.

TNN

MLG

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:12 »
I'm off this weekend for testing/interview.  I'll ask about their license renewal.  Wish me luck and thanks to nukeworker.com for all your help.
~M

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?