Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Regular pay

Author Topic: Regular pay  (Read 5823 times)

blonderocker1343

Regular pay
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:35 »
i dont know if im unimformed but, comeing out of A school or what ever ill be an E - 4... and thts what... 24,000  a year... not much

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Regular pay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:45 »
Number sounds about right. You will only recive base pay for a while. When you finish the pipline you will get a massive $150 pay increase with "pro pay" and a small amount of sea pay. You will not get BAH until you are and E5 or an E4 over four years  unless you are married. In short you won't make jack for a long time and since its salary you will probably be making less than minimum wage when you consider your hrs.   

TheObiJuan

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:41 »
With no rent, need for much money directed toward food, medical expenses, and tax benefits, you'll be just fine.
One simple rule: live within your means.

According to mypay I made just over 27k from May20 to Dec31. My w2 is for 15k, so a lot went untaxed.
I got my moving money (~6k untaxed) and bonus to make the 27k. I'll be getting another bonus check this year and may be moving for prototype again.

My wife and I are very comfortable and have a lot of fun--within reason-- because we live within our means.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:37 »
Very good advice Obi. When I was an instructor, I saw so many young E4s with that bonus in their hand go out and by brand new BMWs with 700/month car payments then complain they don't make enough money and crap themselve when they find out they lose BAH when they live on the ship.

Just don't be stupid like living pay check to pay check and you can live fine on that money.

Justin

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:53 »
With prototype where ever you go you will be off base.  I know if you don't mind sharing an apartment and don't need beachfront or other expensive options you can make money on you housing allowance as well.  Current check for single E-4 (less than 2 years in Navy), maxed thrift deduction, but including all allowances (housing and food) is $1200+ per pay period (2xmonthly).  Only about 1/3 of the monthly checks are needed for rent and utilities.  This withholds enough tax to get a refund.  Now if you have a $1,000/month car payment and have expensive entertain tastes this could get little tight, but at least the early part of prototype doesn't leave a lot of energy for expensive entertainment if you are trying to get ahead in qualifying which, given what happened to the sailors at BS last October, is what you want to do.

Monthly details as follows:
Basepay                      $1,827.60 (s/t taxes)
BAS(Charleston)               323.87
BAH                               967.00
total gross                  $3,118.47 (less Uncle, FICA, MCare)

Not a rich man's salary, but it includes all medical and dental (no co-pay like in private industry).  And don't forget 2 years of "free" education and experience.  And then the
bonuses, sea pay, if sub vol - sub pay, all pay goes up after 2 years, with effort E-5 by or shortly after prototype completion.  This increases pay and allowances.  If sub vol - qualification bonus.  Oh, and if you are not on a boomer you might get to see the world!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:00 »
With prototype where ever you go you will be off base.  I know if you don't mind sharing an apartment and don't need beachfront or other expensive options you can make money on you housing allowance as well.  Current check for single E-4 (less than 2 years in Navy), maxed thrift deduction, but including all allowances (housing and food) is $1200+ per pay period (2xmonthly).  Only about 1/3 of the monthly checks are needed for rent and utilities.  This withholds enough tax to get a refund.  Now if you have a $1,000/month car payment and have expensive entertain tastes this could get little tight, but at least the early part of prototype doesn't leave a lot of energy for expensive entertainment if you are trying to get ahead in qualifying which, given what happened to the sailors at BS last October, is what you want to do.

Monthly details as follows:
Basepay                      $1,827.60 (s/t taxes)
BAS(Charleston)               323.87
BAH                               967.00
total gross                  $3,118.47 (less Uncle, FICA, MCare)

Not a rich man's salary, but it includes all medical and dental (no co-pay like in private industry).  And don't forget 2 years of "free" education and experience.  And then the
bonuses, sea pay, if sub vol - sub pay, all pay goes up after 2 years, with effort E-5 by or shortly after prototype completion.  This increases pay and allowances.  If sub vol - qualification bonus.  Oh, and if you are not on a boomer you might get to see the world!

Good post

Just as a reminder for others you will not get BAS while at NNPTC (student) or on ship.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?