Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Academic waivers or Nuke acceptance honeypot

Author Topic: Academic waivers or Nuke acceptance  (Read 3127 times)

seshivers

Academic waivers or Nuke acceptance
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:22 »
Hello,
I am new to this board and the whole military experience.  My 18 year old son has enlisted in the Navy and apparently did very well on his asvab (98 I think he said).  He took the nuke test and passed but they didn't tell him his score.  Now that the recruiter has his High School transcript, he says he needs a waiver for failing algebra in the 8th grade (he took it over in summer school).  The recruiter still says he is in the Nuke program because his scores are high, so what is the waiver all about? And if he signs a contract for the Nuke program then he is in right?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Academic waivers or Nuke acceptance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:48 »
Basically a waiver is a piece of paper that says "you don't mean every single bullet that we want as a nuke candidate, but you are a good enough prospect that we are goign to overlook it".  There are waivers for numerous things such as too many driving infractions, abnormal levels of debt, some other "indiscretions", and for failing certain classes in high school.  As a nuke, your son will need to be heavy in math, physics, and chemistry.  Since he failed one of these courses, it sends up a red flag to people who decide if he is good enough to be a nuke.  Those red flags are used to help determine if a person will succeed in the nuke program.   Since he did well on his ASVAB and other tests, his recruiter is filling out paperwork to say that even though he failed algebra, x number of years ago, he is still a viable candidate for nuke program.  Once he signs his contract that he is a nuke, I am 99% sure that he will go to nuke school, baring any problems with his security clearance.  Remember though that nothing is guaranteed UNLESS it is in writing, which includes any promises a recruiter might make such as special pays, bonuses, living conditions, etc.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Academic waivers or Nuke acceptance
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:10 »
I never served, but, my son has been a Nuke for three years.  He needed some medical waivers before he could be assured of entering the program.  There are bonuses your son may qualify for (time of year, college credit, etc.) that he will not get unless he asks for them, then receives them in writing.  My son didn't get his clearance until after A school.  Every sailor's situation is unique.  The timing for everything can change.  As I recall, recruits are not officially in the Navy until the swearing in at MEPS after their physicals.       

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?