Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Other fields after 4 yrs as a Power School Instructor honeypot

Author Topic: Other fields after 4 yrs as a Power School Instructor  (Read 3972 times)

Offline nquinn

• Very Lite User
I'm looking at the Power School Instructor program after I graduate and am trying to get info on what other officer communities will be available to me after that 4 yr commitment. My recruiter and the staff at NNPTC vary quite a bit when answering this. I know this has always been a good place to get accurate and to-the-point answers, so if anyone knows, let me know. I'm particularly interested in staying in the Nuke field, either at NR or as an SW or SS officer (though I've been told the Navy doesn't like that; don't like have LT's that just finished teaching going back as a student alongside O1s and O2s), but I will consider any field that is open to me. I already have 4 yrs enlisted active duty, and I think (dangerous, I know) I'll want to look at finishing my career. Thanks for your help.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Other fields after 4 yrs as a Power School Instructor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 06:56 »
I'm looking at the Power School Instructor program after I graduate and am trying to get info on what other officer communities will be available to me after that 4 yr commitment. My recruiter and the staff at NNPTC vary quite a bit when answering this. I know this has always been a good place to get accurate and to-the-point answers, so if anyone knows, let me know. I'm particularly interested in staying in the Nuke field, either at NR or as an SW or SS officer (though I've been told the Navy doesn't like that; don't like have LT's that just finished teaching going back as a student alongside O1s and O2s), but I will consider any field that is open to me. I already have 4 yrs enlisted active duty, and I think (dangerous, I know) I'll want to look at finishing my career. Thanks for your help.

If you want to be an operator, then you need to seek after that instead of instructor duty.

I was an officer instructor from 2004 to 2006 and one of my direct input officers applied for and got selected for SWO(N).  He had extenuating circumstances as to why he didn't seek to be an operator from the beginning.  He got picked up just before he made LTJG.

You will have the chance to apply for lateral transfer to any community after you complete your tour...I know DIOs that went intel, EDO, HR, and Oceanography.

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Other fields after 4 yrs as a Power School Instructor
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:09 »
I can't offer much info (especially compared to Gamecock, well, about anything really) but I can offer some encouragement.

My Reactor Principles instructor was accepted as a Sub Officer.

Was lots of fun giving him hell checkouts at Prototype. He was a student on my crew.  8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?