Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Where to start?

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 10912 times)

Offline Neutron234

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Where to start?
« on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:37 »
I am currently a non-licensed operator at a plant in the Southeast. My wife has had issues with keeping her employment up due to the economy. As a result, I am wondering what would be the best entry path into the nuke field for her, since work in this industry is pretty steady as compared to other industries. She has NO previous experience in the nuclear industry. However, looking at some of the posts here, the HP route seems like it might be a decent option but I have questions as to what she would need to do (ie. education/training) to get her foot in the door? I know my company has an outage crew that rotates between the units (7 units total, each with an 18-month cycle), so something of that nature would probably appeal to her. I will continue to research this, but in the mean time, any info that can be provided on this would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2009, 08:38 by Neutron234 »
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.  - Mark Twain

BoilerHP

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:39 »
Where are you located? There are some areas that have technical programs or Associate degree. I would start off by giving your local community college a check. I am sure some of the other members may have more direct info on this matter. Over the summer when I was in RP, they hired a few techs... a couple from Linn State and a guy from maintenance. Here is the link of Linn States program to give you an idea of the curriculum.

http://www.linnstate.edu/academic/mnt/catalog.asp

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:48 »
My very first HP position was for a Jr. HP at Big Rock Point for doing surveys for their decommissioning.  I informed the contracting company that I didn't have any HP experience, but did have some other nuclear experience, and they told me that none was required, only a 'warm body'... so I told them if they were willing to teach me, I was more than willing to be a warm body for them.  That job lasted a year for me.  So, if your wife wants to get into something now, I would suggest going the D&D route.  I think it would be very difficult for her to get into doing HP work, on the road, for the outages, with no experience at all.  However, there is deconning available at some sites.  I would suggest calling Bartlett and ask them what they can do for her.

GOOD LUCK!!

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:11 »
I also work in the Southeast at a 7 unit utility. And I have to wonder. Why would ANYONE want to break into RP? It currently takes contract RP's up to six years to qualify as senior technicians, then all you hear about is how the pay sucks. Now around here anyway, Atlantic and PEM are both paying; firewatches, FME monitors and toolroom people more to start than any RP makes as a senior!
So unless your wife is afraid of a little work and wants to join the ever expanding ranks of lazy ass RP techs. (not all but an increasing number) I'd steer her away from RP.

RNN

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:29 »
You might want to start with your company and see if they are hiring some entry level people such as decon people. You can contact Bartlett and maybe they have some entry level jobs open that you and your wife might be able to do together. If you don't have children you both might look at moving and following the work.

Now around here anyway, Atlantic and PEM are both paying; firewatches, FME monitors and toolroom people more to start than any RP makes as a senior!

Redline if you can show me a deconner, firewatch, or toolroom person that makes more than I do in a year I'll kiss your rear in the middle of Main Street, Anywhere USA. and I'll give you 3 hours to draw a crowd to watch.  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009, 10:08 by RNN »

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:47 »

Redline if you can show me a deconner, firewatch, or toolroom person that makes more than I do in a year I'll kiss your ass in the middle of Main Street, Anywhere USA. and I'll give you 3 hours to draw a crowd to watch.  8)

Since you've opted not to say; who you are, where you work, who you work for or what your job is, we'll just overlook your dumbass statement. The fact is around here (and no I wasn't too specific although you should be able to figure it out) Atlantic and PEM (Bartlett subsidiary) pay every employee more than the senior techs (Bartlett not house) earn. Also notice in my post I made no mention of decon. A deconner to start makes well less than half of what a firewatch, FME or tool room tech earns with no potential to even come close. Face facts, once upon a time RP and decon were good jobs with decent pay, it just isn't so anymore and it's not likely to get better in your lifetime. So I have to ask, why would you recommend that somebody apply for the lowest paying position with the lowest potential income?

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:30 »
At Duane Arnold, the deconners are the Firewatch, FME monitors, toolroom people, Confined Space Attendents, etc... So, I guess it depends on where you go.  At DA, the Sr. HPs make way more than the 'deconners'.

Some people actually enjoy doing HP work, so please don't come down on someone wanting to break into the business in that area.

RNN

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:04 »
Since you've opted not to say; who you are, where you work, who you work for or what your job is, we'll just overlook your dumbass statement. The fact is around here (and no I wasn't too specific although you should be able to figure it out) Atlantic and PEM (Bartlett subsidiary) pay every employee more than the senior techs (Bartlett not house) earn. Also notice in my post I made no mention of decon. A deconner to start makes well less than half of what a firewatch, FME or tool room tech earns with no potential to even come close. Face facts, once upon a time RP and decon were good jobs with decent pay, it just isn't so anymore and it's not likely to get better in your lifetime. So I have to ask, why would you recommend that somebody apply for the lowest paying position with the lowest potential income?

Redline I apologize for my dumb statement, I'm not informed enough of you site to make a statement like I did. I guess I have been lucky these last 11 years after I became a senior to work for above scale wages.

If someone wants to become a RP Tech it does take at least 5 years experience to become a senior ( I know some places in the DOE go 3 yrs ) to start making better money. If someone really would like to break into the busniess as a tech it's a long hard road to make top money but I would never discourage someone from going into the RP field, it has been very good to me it just takes a long time, alot of training, and a good reputation to get to the point you can make some good money.

RNN
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009, 10:10 by RNN »

nugent_oh

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:29 »
I also work in the Southeast at a 7 unit utility. And I have to wonder. Why would ANYONE want to break into RP? It currently takes contract RP's up to six years to qualify as senior technicians, then all you hear about is how the pay sucks. Now around here anyway, Atlantic and PEM are both paying; firewatches, FME monitors and toolroom people more to start than any RP makes as a senior!
So unless your wife is afraid of a little work and wants to join the ever expanding ranks of lazy ass RP techs. (not all but an increasing number) I'd steer her away from RP.
I see redline you work at duke energy. mcdonalds pays better than what duke pays decon techs. I'll pick up pop cans on the side of the road in mi for deposit money before going back there. plus 4 of the 7 units are tight ass hell containment ice plants. no thanks

X-radcon30

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:39 »
For a good start into the HP/RCT world you might want to think about DOE. I work in OakRidge for a company called SEC, and they have started hiring people off the street and calling them survey techs. The pay is better than a deconer plus it only takes 6 months to become a Junior Tech.. I have been hearing around hear that SEC is getting ready to ramp back up with the number of Techs. they have over here in OakRidge. Just a thought

John Campbell

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:43 »
How do I get in touch with SEC?

John Campbell

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:38 »
Does anyone know where are some decon jobs?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?