Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Qualifying PPWS (surface) honeypot

Author Topic: Qualifying PPWS (surface)  (Read 5763 times)

pimpizhere18

Qualifying PPWS (surface)
« on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:36 »
Just a quick heads up to people who are looking into getting into to PPWS quals. I ran into a few complications while trying to do this.

First off, I was stationed on the USS John C. Stennis CVN-74. I am an MM, denied SPU at NPTU Ballston Spa because I had a speeding ticket between Charleston and Ballston Spa (I still laugh about that to this day  ;) ). Qualified SIR on board at 14 months, etc etc etc. I could list all sorts of stuff to further prove my resume towards becoming a PPWS.

Twice, while stationed on CVN 74, I submitted a request chit to begin PPWS qualifications. Both times I was recommended by everyone in my chain of command, except for one. Im not sure if this is the way it works around the fleet, but my CO said no to my chit on two seperate occasions based solely on the fact that I was a Second Class. He put emphasis on the fact that a leadership position like PPWS required more respect from everyone in the plant and that a Second Class didnt not obtain the potential to command this respect.

Now, Im not the only person to have this happen to them. I can mention 4-5 other names. There is one person I will describe specifically though. This MM2 (at the time), was by far the smartest person I have come across in the program thus far. His knowledge of the plant was outstanding. On top of that, his ability as a mechanic was amazing as well. He commanded respect with his ability as a mechanic and a nuclear operator. He requested permission to qualify PPWS, and was denied by the CO for the same reason as me. However, at this point and time, he had already completed his PPWS card with the exception of his CO's board. To put a silver lining to the story though, the day he was frocked MM1, he qualified PPWS.

I guess I am a bit begrudged about this whole situation because I believe that a Sr. Watch should account for the ability of the person, not their rank in the Navy.

Has anyone else run across this issue?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Qualifying PPWS (surface)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2009, 11:14 »
Just a quick heads up to people who are looking into getting into to PPWS quals. I ran into a few complications while trying to do this.

First off, I was stationed on the USS John C. Stennis CVN-74. I am an MM, denied SPU at NPTU Ballston Spa because I had a speeding ticket between Charleston and Ballston Spa (I still laugh about that to this day  ;) ). Qualified SIR on board at 14 months, etc etc etc. I could list all sorts of stuff to further prove my resume towards becoming a PPWS.

Twice, while stationed on CVN 74, I submitted a request chit to begin PPWS qualifications. Both times I was recommended by everyone in my chain of command, except for one. Im not sure if this is the way it works around the fleet, but my CO said no to my chit on two seperate occasions based solely on the fact that I was a Second Class. He put emphasis on the fact that a leadership position like PPWS required more respect from everyone in the plant and that a Second Class didnt not obtain the potential to command this respect.

Now, Im not the only person to have this happen to them. I can mention 4-5 other names. There is one person I will describe specifically though. This MM2 (at the time), was by far the smartest person I have come across in the program thus far. His knowledge of the plant was outstanding. On top of that, his ability as a mechanic was amazing as well. He commanded respect with his ability as a mechanic and a nuclear operator. He requested permission to qualify PPWS, and was denied by the CO for the same reason as me. However, at this point and time, he had already completed his PPWS card with the exception of his CO's board. To put a silver lining to the story though, the day he was frocked MM1, he qualified PPWS.

I guess I am a bit begrudged about this whole situation because I believe that a Sr. Watch should account for the ability of the person, not their rank in the Navy.

Has anyone else run across this issue?

I also encountered this issue back in the day.  I was the RE Div-o ( I had both plants).  I had a very hot running PO2 that wanted to qualify PPWS.  I was all for it of course.  However, she never got put into quals until she made EM1. 

Now, years later and more senior, I understand more of the politics involved.  And, for the record, I now believe it was the right choice to not allow her to qualify as a PO2. 

First,
In the surface navy, PPWS for a blue-shirt is looked at as a ticker puncher for Chief. My point is, there is no shortage of more senior guys that want to qualify. All E6's who desire to qualify PPWS should be given the chance before any PO2 gets a shot.  You'll never run out of E6s who need to qualify PPWS on a CVN.   On my CVN, they limited the number of folks qualified PPWS.  So, getting approved to commence quals was a big deal.  The qual process was tracked and you were expected to qualify within a set timeframe.  If you didn't qualify on-time, within reason, you were removed from quals.

Second, once qualified PPWS, you stood the watch.  You no longer had to maintain proficiency on your in-rate watches.  IMHO you need those in-rate watches to maintain your required knowledge level for your rating.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:55 »
I've gotta agree with gamecock. I can only remember one E5 qualified PPWS during my time. Hell by the time I left it was very hard for a E6 to get into quals since manning was in the toilet.

Khak-Hater

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:42 »
In the old days [early 90s on the "E"], I qualified PPWS as an MM2.  I don't remember it being a big deal (i.e., there were others, and I wasn't superman).  I don't even remember requesting to do it.  As I recall, after I qualified everything else that I could [including NQCI-E], I just went to RT and picked up a qual card and started qualifying.  If they didn't want you to qualify, then you wouldn't (i.e., you had to stand UI watches and get checkouts).  We didn't have any limit on the number of PPWSs that could be qualified and the chiefs were always looking for a better watch rotation.  Being qualified PPWS didn't keep me from standing ELT or RM watches.  They always put you where they needed you most, but they tried to ensure that PPWS always had the best rotation, if possible. 

I can see where this would vary from command to command.  We had a very utilitarian command structure (i.e., whatever got the job done best).  I could see where other commands might be tighter on these issues. 

Really, it isn't a huge deal.  You should make PO1 shortly.  Qualify then.  Until then, keep your chin up and keep doing a good job.  Try to remember, life is not a race.  Do what you can do when you can do it, and try not to let the silly rules that hold you back make you bitter.  Yes, I understand the irony of this advice coming from "Khak-Hater," but I never said that I was perfect. 

mgm

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?