Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu No experience in engineering but want to get in
honeypot

Author Topic: No experience in engineering but want to get in  (Read 3642 times)

Vegas01Cobra

No experience in engineering but want to get in
« on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:02 »
Okay, Ive been thinking about getting into the power industry.  I was talkin to my folks the other day and they suggested I might go to school and work in a nuclear power plant.  By trade I'm a truck driver/heavy equipment operator.  I used to go to college at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where I studied Aeronautical Science and minored in Aviation Safety.  I also accumulated aver 75 hours of flight time.  The reason I pulled out was due to the incredible cost and the fact that I didnt like the direction I saw the airline industry was going. 

My question is this:  What kind of schooling do I need to break into the power field?  Is it something I can go to a jr college for, or is it university level only?  Any and all input is appreciated.  Feel free to ask me for information about myself that you may need to ask me questions.  Thanks in advance.

-=Andy

MLG

Re: No experience in engineering but want to get in
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:59 »
Embry-Riddle in Daytona? If so, I found this article that might be a starting point:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/02/06/a1a_pbccelectric_0207.html

I'm 90% sure that there is a similar program at Miami-Dade CC.  I've also heard of similar programs at CCs in New Jersey.  Cheers and good luck.

~M

EDIT: Just as I posted I remembered this:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/10/25/pbccenergy1026.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

Indian River has locations all over the sunshine state.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2009, 06:04 by MLG »

Vegas01Cobra

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:47 »
Thanks for the reply and links.  I actually went to the Prescott Arizona campus of Embry-Riddle.  Im sure there are courses like the ones described in the links somwhere out here.  Thanks again.

-=Andy

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:54 »
Just wondering if you had thought at working at one of the nuclear sites as a heavy equipment operator or truck driver. We always have them in for the outages.

Vegas01Cobra

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2009, 02:25 »
Actually no I didn't even think about that.  Where is the plant you work at?  And what do you mean when you say they bring them in for outages?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?