Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUC or USNA?
honeypot

Author Topic: NUC or USNA?  (Read 8440 times)

Gavrilova

NUC or USNA?
« on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:24 »
I'm a female high school senior. Been in NJROTC for 3 years and one of my instructors(MCPO) convinced me to apply to the Naval Academy, and i got into NAPS which means i will need a year of prep school and im ready to go. I'm also enlisted in the Navy as an AT but been approved for NUC. (Waiting on my new contract). I really don't want to become an officer because the desk job doesn't appeal to me. I don't know which one to pick. What would you do?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: NUC or USNA?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:32 »
Being an officer is not a desk job.  As a Surface Warfare Officer, you'll get to do lots of cool things that I could describe, but you're not likely to understand.

Go to NAPS then the Naval Academy......you'll never regret your decision.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Longhornfan

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2009, 11:24 »
I second that motion.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2009, 11:43 »
No brainer...take the Academy deal.  Either way, you'll work for a living, its a matter of what kind of work you want to do.  Enlisted, you'll be in the trenches performing repairs and maintenance, doing field day, etc.  As an officer, you get to lead all those endeavors as well as learn and do the tactical piece of the job.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

NukeNub

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:23 »
Academy.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:35 »
Academy

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:33 »
Go to the academy.  During your summers you will be able to go to different parts of the Naval communities.  Based on that you can decide which one you want to join, or just experience different things.  I don't know all the opportunities, but some would be to be on a surface ship, go to dive school, qualify parachute jumper, and you could also see the Nuclear community on a carrier. 

It's not a desk job.  Like a few have said already, it's a supervisory role leading evolutions.  Take the chance to go to a great school!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2009, 08:12 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:12 »
Without a doubt take the Academy if it is offered. My nephew is in his 2nd year there. He was offered a full scholarship to Vanderbilt but opted for the Academy and never regretted it. Having that on your resume sets you apart from others. There are several ring knockers where I work and they all do very well. Good luck.

Xenon_Free

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:08 »
Okay, with those tough choices I'm going to go out on a limb and offer this advice:  Stop asking complete strangers, regardless of their intellegence or experience, on what you should do with your life.  Few of us have had such "difficult" decisions to make - hmm "Should I go to the Naval Academy or should I work my a$$ off as an enlisted puke?"  Clearly, you are a high school senior and I appreciate your willingness to come to a website like this and ask a question... it just seems your question is just balderdash and didn't need to be asked.

I completely respect your service to this country, for that I say Thank You... but why would you ask such an obvious question?  It equates to me someone asking "I was going to get my theoretical physics degree or I was going to work for Pizza Hut as a cashier - what do you think?"

Xenon_Free

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:26 »
and before anyone says anything I am NOT equating "Enlisted = Pizza Hut Cashier"  it was ONLY an analogy.  I was an "enlisted puke" on a sub... 6 years.

NukeNub

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2009, 08:41 »
That's ok, I think Pizza Hut cashier is a valid analogy in comparison to a spot at the Academy. A bit dramatic, but you make your point.

Gavrilova

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:01 »
Thanks for the advice, the reason I asked was because the way I see it either way I would make enough money, however i've met a lot of officers and i have yet to respect any of them. I would hate to become like that, and I'm not saying all officers are idiots, just all the ones that i've met. You have been there thats why i asked. If I just enlist and it sucks i can live with that cause it was my choice and i'll just have to suck it up and live with it. But if i go to the academy and i hate it I'll think "i never wanted to go here why did I choose this".

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:13 »
Thanks for the advice, the reason I asked was because the way I see it either way I would make enough money, however i've met a lot of officers and i have yet to respect any of them. I would hate to become like that, and I'm not saying all officers are idiots, just all the ones that i've met. You have been there thats why i asked. If I just enlist and it sucks i can live with that cause it was my choice and i'll just have to suck it up and live with it. But if i go to the academy and i hate it I'll think "i never wanted to go here why did I choose this".

Hmmmm... I had the opportunity to go to the academy and declined for some of the reasons you just put forward. That and it was the Vietnam era. It was a large mistake. Most of the people who have responded to you have been there and done that and if you were a wise woman you might heed their words. There is no doubt that there are officers who have an inflated opinion of themselves but there is no lack of them in the enlisted ranks. The Navy is a commitment to service and sacrifice I don't think you have a clear view of this and it may be best for you and the Navy if you do not apply, men may depend on your decisions and someone without commitment is not who we want making these decisions.

A little harsh, maybe, but you need to look at the whole picture. You may even want to reconsider enlisting.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009, 10:54 by Marlin »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:31 »
Remember.....

"It's not just a job, it's an ADVENTURE"

Think of it in these terms.  What would be cooler?

A.  Getting told to push the button to launch tomahawk missles and pushing that button.

B.  Being the person who ultimately gets to decide if and when to order the above person to push the button by uttering the simple word  "FIRE"

"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:48 »

In this instance, I would recommend that the young lady give strong consideration to the Academy. Further research would also be recommended for her, as the decision is a large one.

Good luck, and thanks for your service Gav, whichever path you choose.  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2009, 04:16 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

withroaj

« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2009, 02:01 »
... i've met a lot of officers and i have yet to respect any of them...

Hmmm...  I wonder who would post to (or even moderate) the Navy Nuke section of a site called www.nukeworker.com...

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2009, 09:30 »
For whatever it's worth...

I was an enlisted Nuke for 20 years, and I'm very proud of the job I did there.  However, if any of my own children were to express interest in joining the nuclear Navy, I would encourage them to personally start out by vying for the Naval Academy.

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?