Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Online Calculus and Cacl based Physics  

Author Topic: Online Calculus and Cacl based Physics  (Read 14479 times)

Offline nadinno

• Light User
Online Calculus and Cacl based Physics
« on: Feb 13, 2009, 03:39 »
Not sure how many of these classes are out there but the Colorado Community College system offers Calc based physics and Calculus  online.  They are part of Colorado's Guaranteed Transfer (GT Pathways) program.  The transfer guarantee is for Colorado Universities.  I doubt there would be any problems transfering to any other university out of state. 

http://www.ccconline.org/courses/Calendar_and_Schedule/Annual_Course_Listing/

Click on PHY for physics.  PHY 211 and 212 are the caclulus based courses.  T

Click on Mat for math.  MAT 201 202 203 are Calc I-III.   

Look for the GT-MA1 and GT-SC1 in the course description. 

You register through one of the individual community colleges and the course shows up on your transcript as taking the class through that community college. 
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009, 05:34 by nadinno »

S3GLMS

Re: Online cacl based physics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:46 »
How do they do the Lab online? 

Almost all Universities require a lab as part of their curriculum for Physics and Chemistry classes that are calculaus based.  It is strictly required in ABET programs also.  Just wondering if you knew how they get the lab work done.

Offline nadinno

• Light User
Re: Online cacl based physics
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:33 »
You buy a kit and do the labs at home, then submit a lab writeup:

http://www.athomescience.com/o-physics.htm

The Pk-1 is for the first semester.  The Pk-S covers 2 semesters.  The community college requires every course to have a  writing component to it.  So the lab functions as the writing component.  Mine lab write up's have been about 10 page's with description, drawings, pictures, calculations, and data charts.  For me the write up is the most time consuming part of the entire class. 

I may post the syllabus later.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009, 05:39 by nadinno »

Offline nadinno

• Light User
Re: Online Calculus and Cacl based Physics
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:13 »
Syllabus

Too big to post so its in word format.

stjohn

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2009, 06:01 »
nadinno, sorry to chime in so late but i was wondering what you thought overall about the course.  Also while I know its a bit personal, did you do well in it?

Offline nadinno

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2009, 04:07 »
I did okay.  Got a B. 

I wasn't as thrilled with this class as I would have liked.   I really missed the interaction you get with other students in a classroom setting.  I also was really frustrated with the lab portion of the class. The lab write ups were ridiculously long. The amount of time spent on them didn't justify the amount of learning involved.  The labs felt very much like busy work.   There were some communication issues with the instructor too.  Mainly because all communication was through webct email.  Sometimes you just need to be able to sit and talk face to face, which really wasn't an option with this class.

I did like the video lectures.  There should be a link in the syllabus posted.  They were high quality and you could watch them as many times as you wanted.

The question and answer bank could have been larger.  This was mainly an issue with the instructor though because there are plenty of online aftermarket physics Q&A sites.

The weekly tests were fairly easy.  Most of the questions were theoretical.  With 2-3 questions requiring a calculator.  We rarely/never used calculus for the calculator problems.

We really had to pay attention to the syllabus and online classroom guidelines (which were very long).  It was really easy to loose points for not following instructions.

The online discussion was hit or miss.  Some students knew what they were doing and added to the class. Others had no clue.

If I had no other choice I would take this class online again but would rather take it in a classroom setting.  This sort of course would really benefit from a hybrid format.  Online lectures, quizzes, and discussion.  But then have one day per week when the students could come in and meet with an instructor to ask questions.

Trinian23

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2009, 10:10 »
And if you are just looking to brush up, there are plenty of great lessons here.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?