Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SWO(N) vs. NPS Instructor vs. NR Engineer
honeypot

Author Topic: SWO(N) vs. NPS Instructor vs. NR Engineer  (Read 11544 times)

john.r.kelly3

SWO(N) vs. NPS Instructor vs. NR Engineer
« on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:39 »
Now I know, there have been several discussions in this field in the past, but my situation has proven to lack experienced voices with my limited point of contacts here.  So I am going to let it out and see what the field from nukeworker.com can provide:

I enlisted in 2003 as a nuke.  After boot camp, I applied for STA-21(N) and was accepted a month into NPS.  I used this opportunity to get a degree in physics from Auburn University and commissioned as a SWO(N).  My first year out to sea was an eventful experience as I went on deployment on a DDG.  But the year did not end so well; I suffered medical issues that have been deemed neurological but with not enough to diagnose the issue.  Therefore, at the moment, I am LIMDU awaiting a med board to make their decision (which is likely to fit me for continuous service).  And with the Force Shaping Authority that could see an end to this career I feel like I just started.

First, I want my advice as how I should approach this on the BUMED side of the house.  Should I push to have them overlook this (I am not seeing any symptoms since placed on medication but still have no diagnosis) so I can continue the career I have or heed to medical issues I inevitably have and accept my probably fate?  Second, since the nuclear program has invested four of the last five years I have spent in the Navy educating me, is there a good chance they would be willing to transfer me to a nuclear-related community like NR Engineering or NPS Instructor?  And last, if so, which one is best?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: SWO(N) vs. NPS Instructor vs. NR Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:36 »
Alot of what happens with BUMED depends upon the medication you've been prescribed.  I don't think anyone can answer your specific questions about how to apporach BUMED.  A simple LIMDU scenario due to a surgery, etc. is pretty easy, but with a continuing condition, who knows. 
Hmmm, lets see...NR Engineer=Washington DC
                        NPS Instructor=Charleston, SC
I know which one I would choose.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009, 11:08 »
NPS Instructor  --> Best job I ever had in the Navy

I was an Officer Electrical Engineering Instructor from 2004-2006.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05 »
NPS Instructor  --> Best job I ever had in the Navy

I don't know Rocky...standing EOOW for ORSE with the plant "crashing" down around you, figuring it out, and recovering, was pretty fun.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:21 »
I don't know Rocky...standing EOOW for ORSE with the plant "crashing" down around you, figuring it out, and recovering, was pretty fun.

Nah the real fun was when the "plant" decided it didn't like the drill set that the ORSE team came up with and figured it would see how well you handle a drill of it's on design.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:05 »

I was never deemed worthy of being an ORSE EOOW  :-[
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:24 »

My first drill set as EOOW wasn't so fun since right at the beginning, the full bird senior board member screamed at me at the top of his lungs "P.O. LOSE THE GUM!" I was done after that for the most part. I forgot the "no gum during orse" rule.  ::)

Justin

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 07:06 »
Nah the real fun was when the "plant" decided it didn't like the drill set that the ORSE team came up with and figured it would see how well you handle a drill of it's on design.

Absolutely!
It was also nice to be able to tell the senior board member that you were not going to allow the next drill to be conducted until you had taken care of the plant or you would be combatting a real casualty....then getting into the argument with the Engineer that "you aren't allowed to tell the Board what they can and can't do."

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 08:27 »
then getting into the argument with the Engineer that "you aren't allowed to tell the Board what they can and can't do."

Wow, how far did that ENG get? I would love to see an EOOW with the cojones to say that (oh, and be right).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:29 by War Eagle »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:03 »
Wow, how far did that ENG get? I would love to see an EOOW with the cojones to say that (oh, and be right).

Although not to the level of telling the ORSE board to wait, I have a personal anecdote that I think is funny and I like telling.  :P

This was back on my boat in EWS quals, where my skipper at the time required and encouraged EWS's to stand EOOW during a drill set. I have heard some people won't let you do that, and it is a shame. Anyway, there we were doing my drill set when we had to do a scram/ fast recovery. As I am sure it is true for most CO's, mine really liked bugging the EOOW over the 7MC during drills and it was no different for me. In the middle of getting ready to start the fast recovery and preparing my report to CONN;

CO 7MC: "Maneuvering, Captain, report status of the reactor."
ME 7MC: "Captain, Maneuvering, Wait."

CO CONN (as reported to me by others): "Wait!? WAIT!? He is there, he just has to tell me!"

ENG Maneuvering: "You just told the Captain to wait!!!"

ME Maneuvering: "I am busy and just want to figure out what I want to say."

I made the report literally less than 30 seconds later.

Anyway, on the way to the debrief the skipper gave me a smile and a nod and said "I am impressed that you aren't afraid to tell me to wait to gather your thoughts and make an accurate report. Most new EOOWs will fumble f**k what they have to say to me, and so I continue to hound them."

So in the end, it worked out for me.  :P

Justin

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:42 »
Of course I was right   ;D  ...and the STG-O and OIC supported me.  Either I take care of this issue, or when you run the next drill that puts water in that tank, there will be a real spill in AMR.
I don't mind being graded on a real casualty (been there, done that and got an excellent on the scram and subsequent fast recovery), but I can't see sitting back knowing its going to happen, and letting it.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:55 »
Of course I was right   ;D  ...and the STG-O and OIC supported me.  Either I take care of this issue, or when you run the next drill that puts water in that tank, there will be a real spill in AMR.
I don't mind being graded on a real casualty (been there, done that and got an excellent on the scram and subsequent fast recovery), but I can't see sitting back knowing its going to happen, and letting it.

Well played! Confidence is key!

Justin

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 01:32 »
Of course I was right   ;D 

I never doubted you were right  ;D  I just envision some NUB LTjg trying that crap and going down in a flaming ball of suck.

bigjer25

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2009, 11:53 »
I was in your shoes, on a sub.  Did the whole Medboard issue, and all that crap.  Ended up going EDO.  SERIOUSLY check it out.  Do you want a free masters degree?
Never go to sea again?  Then this may be for you. I have 12 years in ( officer and enlisted) and this is the best deal I could have hoped for.  Godd luck with the medboard.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?