Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Feel like lending a hand?
honeypot

Author Topic: Feel like lending a hand?  (Read 6235 times)

kungfupflanzer

Feel like lending a hand?
« on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:13 »
Okay, let me first say that I have done my homework, and read nearly every post on the "Navy: Getting Out" forum, and many of the posts in the main "Getting In" forum.

I have applied for quite a few positions including internships and NLO positions. For the Exelon plant alone, I've applied for the East and West internship positions, as well as a NLO position (may have been titled nuclear technician if I recall.) I tried to call several plants to verify receipt of my resume and was told I'd receive an e-mail verification of my application (which I have) but that was the extent of my conversations with the HR departments. I haven't received any phone calls or e-mails since the original verification e-mail, and some of these applications were sent several weeks ago.
I've also applied for several non-nuclear positions including a power plant operator position at a local hospital ($17/hr base pay so I'm really not that interested anyway) and a management training program at MillerCoors corporation (figured, what the hell, lol).
I also recently created a Monster profile.

And the crickets are still chirping...

I don't know whether my resume completely fails or if my timing is off, but I thought enough is enough, and figured I'd ask if any of you oh-so-friendly-and-infinitely-knowledgeable forum members out there would be interested in offering me a hand. Whether its reviewing my resume or sharing a point of contact to bypass the computerized HR managers, any help would be appreciated. I'm not restricting myself to the nuclear power industry, or to any particular region of the United States (although I would prefer to stay in the mid-west if possible.) I was originally looking at Exelon, as the plants are based in Illinois. As an Illinois resident, I wouldn't mind double dipping the veteran scholarship with my GI Bill to finish my nearly-complete degree in my off time. The only direct point of contact I have is with the training department at Dominion. I left a message for him and never received a call back (maybe they don't want FIBs in Green Bay lol.)  I understand that the morale at Exelon is less than perfect, but I wouldn't mind working there for a while, even if its just to qualify and get my feet wet.

I have edited my resume and cover letter to coordinate with the position I'm applying for and have even sent a copy of my SMART transcripts along with my resume on several applications. (Mostly the non-nuke positions as they may not have as firm of an understanding as to the training a Navy nuke receives.) I feel like I'm doing everything right, according to the suggestions on the forums, and decided the next step was to out-right ask for help.

BTW, I'm an MM (didn't get the chance to qualify watch supe). I completed Steam Plant Maintenance Supervisor school, which includes certifications in maintenance on a wide variety of power plant equipment, but I think that may be the only thing that sets me apart at all from the rest of the ex-navy fresh meat.

So if anyone out there has a minute or two to share, please PM me and I can tell you a little bit more about myself. Thank you in advance to any takers.

kiarakitty

Re: Feel like lending a hand?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:37 »
Seems like it takes a VERY LONG TIME for Nuke plants to get in contact with someone for a job, an ex-navy nuke that is.  Unless its for a plant desperate for hires.  I began applying for jobs in November, every possible opening at plants in the South and East.  I got my first two offers this week.  My experience so far is that it has taken about 2 months to be contacted for an HP or NLO position.  Non nuke jobs I applied for, I still havent heard back.  But hey, I got a job eventually.  Just keep applying and checking status online, someone will call you.  I do not know what your resume looks like, but as an ex-navy nuke, do not worry if it takes a few months for a call.

Offline zilla

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009, 11:30 »
I think my plant may be hiring more NLOs soon -- upper midwest BWR not associated with Exelon.  Your best chance of getting into Ops is to get your resume into the hands of Ops management through a friend or maybe someone on thei forum.

kungfupflanzer

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:56 »
I guess maybe that what I was looking for - someone that could lend a hand getting my resume in to the hands of someone that might be interested in hiring me. I begin terminal leave on April 4th and would like to start working as soon as possible as I do not want to have to rely on unemployment insurance to pay the bills.

Which plant do you work for? I'd be happy to apply.

I have a POSS/interview scheduled for Mar 23 in Glen Rose, TX and have been in contact with a senior trainer at Dominion, so I am making progress. I definitely want to get a job lined up as soon as possible because my wife is getting very anxious and its definitely making the home life a little stressful.

I'm not jumping into this with unrealistic expectations or anything. I am fully committed to getting an entry level job and working my way to the top.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:17 »
I hope your e-mail in your resume is not kungfuflanzer@.....com    first.last@ is better.

Harris in NC is starting an NLO class in July and is hiring now (Progress).

Limerick will be hiring an NLO class this fall.

kungfupflanzer

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:53 »
Good point... I had my @navy.mil address originally, but I no longer have access to Navy computers and can't figure out how to get my smart card reader to work properly, so I had to change it to my personal e-mail. I just changed it to my new e-mail address, michael.pflanzer@rocketmail.com. Thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for the tips on NC.

Can anyone here tell me anything about Comanche Peak? Thanks!

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2009, 10:50 »
ANO (Entergy) in Russellville Arkansas is also filling NLO positions.  Good areas if you like the small town feel but within ~ 1 hour of the big city.  They hire in NLO expecting them to grow to an SRO position.  I still have contacts there, let me know if you are interested.

NavynukeMM1

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:04 »
have been in contact with a senior trainer at Dominion, so I am making progress.

What plant in Dominion are you looking at? I've heard Surry is ALWAYS looking. Not sure about how the classes schedule works there though compared to your getting out of the Navy. Have you tried talking to "head hunters"?

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:28 »
Can anyone here tell me anything about Comanche Peak? Thanks!

Did you get your results back on the POSS yet?  They just e-mailed me today, and it was a few days sooner than I expected. 

All the people I spoke with seemed really nice, and looks like a great place to work.  There are plants all over the country that are highering pretty soon, so you have the chance to land some good oppurtunities.

Good luck to you either way!
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Offline Ambered

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:33 »
long time lurker, this is my first post.  my husband is a MM2 (currently deployed) and getting out in August (6 years)(with the Bachelor in Nuclear Technology from Thomas Edison).  He has had me posting resumes the past couple of weeks.  He has access to email, but no internet :(  I too, would like to know if anyone would be so kind as to look over his resume and offer some critique.  So far, he has received a couple of emails from headhunters.  Farley would be our preferred location, I am from that area and own a home that is currently being used as a rental property in Dothan.  Oh, and just because it might bring back some beautiful memories for some of you, we are in Bremerton, WA now (sarcasm).  (well me, he is on the John C. Stennis which is somewhere in the Pacific) 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?