Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Internet at Work  

Poll

Does your plant provide web access for contractors?

Yes
24 (38.1%)
Yes, but blocks the email (Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc.) sites.
16 (25.4%)
No, but house techs have access and will usually let rentals surf a bit.
14 (22.2%)
NO!
9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Internet at Work  (Read 28858 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Internet at Work
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:10 »
Thought everyone was headed towards giving us access, but recently hit a plant that had just taken the internet away from rent-a-techs...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Surveyors_mato

Re: Internet at Work
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2004, 08:36 »
Those of us on the road, often depend on access to keep in touch with family, the world, ect. What plant was this that denied access and why?

harleygirl

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2004, 08:51 »
Due to a big ethics push my company cut off most email, dating and nonwork related etc. internet sites for house techs so no they are not going to allow access to contractors. >:(  :'(It is mostly work related only now. Good thing nukeworker counts as that. ;D ;) I have logged on and let road techs pull up maps etc. We will do that but we will monitor it since it is our jobs on the line. 8)....

Most plants have libraries, coffee shops or public places near by that offer internet services....

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2004, 02:53 »
Those of us on the road, often depend on access to keep in touch with family, the world, ect. What plant was this that denied access and why?

San Onofre took access away....couldn't argue with their logic - too many rent-a-techs there had been abusing the privilege...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2004, 07:14 »
I think I'd go crazy if I didn't have it! 8)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2004, 06:55 »
contractor puters on a site should have nukeworker.com as the homepage.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2004, 02:01 »
I think I can prove many companies don't allow Internet at Work for Contract Nukeworkers: The forum statistics show fewer hits, fewer posts, and fewer people logged in for March (with 31 days) than Feb (with 29 days). The difference: Nukeworkers at Outages. Of course, it could be a coincidence because Nukeworkers are searching for last-minute jobs to fill a gap for the Spring season in Feb, but I prefer a conspiracy.
 ;)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

duke99301

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2004, 02:51 »
hey I got it but I got yob that lets me have it!

nukedawg

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2004, 12:41 »
contractor puters on a site should have nukeworker.com as the homepage.

Here Here!

RADBASTARD

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2006, 05:05 »
We do have it here thank god ,but a couple of techs are upset they can't get on their
{smooth young asian boy sites} well I guess we all must make sacrifices in this line of work.
It's sux to be them!

LaFeet

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2006, 06:46 »
Hey RadBastard.... you look sooooo much different now with your hair short than you do in your picture..... :P

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2006, 10:41 by Nuclear NASCAR »

RADBASTARD

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2006, 03:26 »
You should see me in my video.Night vision can do wonders.

LaFeet

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2006, 03:30 »
You should see me in my video.Night vision can do wonders.
I am not to sure if that is legal except in Nevada... >:(
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2006, 03:30 by LaFeet »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2006, 09:31 »
LaFeet will never change.  Spanky
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Gonzo

« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2006, 01:36 »
San Onofre took access away....couldn't argue with their logic - too many rent-a-techs there had been abusing the privilege...

actually, SONGS only thought they took it away...  it was a matter of changing a few settings and you could circumvent the whole thing...   

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2006, 02:16 »
yeah....
At PV..internet access is like the "golden Challis"...but there are a couple of cool temps that will let you on...CGS lets contractors have i-net access..really cool when you work 6-12's ....although personal POP 3 accounts are blocked they give you plant e-mail so folks can just e-mail you directly to work.
Susquehanna has i-net for contractors too & the e-mail set up is the same as CGS.
Seems to me all contractors should have i-net access but use it responsibly
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2006, 02:18 by RRhoads »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2006, 11:51 »
Use and don't abuse the privledge.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2006, 09:35 »
Why should a utility provide contractors internet access anyway?  Surf the net, check your e-mail, whatever, when you get home from work!

sounds like you work at PV!!!!
well...
primarily it's used as a form of mass communication....
makes things a little easier when you have info to put out to 50+ contractors...this works for both house side & a bartlett site rep too.
Another reason is for access to survey #s & HP/ RP log books...
usually these items reside on an intranet...so access is needed for local items.
most places i've been...the above mentioned items are in electronic form.....
so i say again..
why not!
it's a tool...use but don't abuse.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2006, 10:26 »
well....you shouldn't have to beg to use a computer...
It sounds like your pissed, & right-fully so about the above but are taking it to an extreme.
It IS a means of communication....a way to stay in touch w/ family...
In my opinion, if one were to follow your thought process, there might not be phones available to contractors as well??

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2006, 12:33 »
Why should a utility provide contractors internet access anyway?  Surf the net, check your e-mail, whatever, when you get home from work!

And why should it be provided to house employees either?

The big rub is when there's a disparity in treatment.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #20 on: Jun 15, 2006, 12:51 »
Surf the net, check your e-mail, whatever, when you get home from work!

I think the key words here are "when you get HOME". The problem is they are contractors and don't go home. I myself go to the local library when on the road. However if it's closed, because of the time, you're out of luck. It would seem that the use of the internet is a small thing, as long as it's not abused.

Back in the day I can remember the rent-a-techs using the phones for hours. Then the utilities wanted to ban the use of off site phone lines, now everyone has cell phones. If you don't abuse it, I just think it's a nice thing to have available.

As usual, just my opinion, I could be wrong  ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Jun 15, 2006, 02:42 »
And why should it be provided to house employees either?

The big rub is when there's a disparity in treatment.

excellent point!
it just sounds like the internet thing is being abused at a certain place..so the knee-jerk reaction for some, is to want to ban all contractors from using it....as i said b4...use don't abuse!
the quote was this...."check your e-mail, surf the net when you get back to your room after work!"...just sounds like sour grapes & kinda comes off bad.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:41 »
Just go to the library or buy yourself a laptop. You can overcome this problem if you want to. Whinning won't get you site computers. So deal with it.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2006, 12:04 »
its bin a long time since i wuz ina power plant, operational or udderwiz, so's i gots many questions.  why do they have different operating philosophies for house/contractors?  meabee cause they donb't gotta listen to contractors after the outage.  but it's still only a question, 'k?  why don't the contracting companies supply puters to the break areas for the contractor techs to use?  why don't contractors git blackberrys 'n quit worrying bout computer use for surfing?  do utility sites have wi-fi?  should there be puter areas for people who don't smoke on site, or have the utilities all banned smoking all to gether?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Jun 19, 2006, 09:46 »
why don't the contracting companies supply puters to the break areas for the contractor techs to use?  why don't contractors git blackberrys 'n quit worrying bout computer use for surfing?  do utility sites have wi-fi? 

I haven't had time to translate all of Slo's questions, so I can only address these:
Contractor computers would be required to hook into the plant LAN; the LAN is what they don't want contractors overloading. Wi-fi, where available, is locked to prevent unauthorized access.

Better stick to Krystal for wireless surfing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?