Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question about NKO Certificates
honeypot

Author Topic: Question about NKO Certificates  (Read 13634 times)

kungfupflanzer

Question about NKO Certificates
« on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:01 »
I am in the process of tweaking my resume and happened to remember that I had completed a bunch of nko (navy knowledge online - navy's e-learning website for all you old timers  :) ) courses while on deployment.

Anyway, I have some certifications from NKO... Quality Assurance Supervisor for example... I can print off an NKO certificate, but I never completed the PQS and was technically never "qualified" QAS. Just wondering on the differences between "certification" and "qualification", and how much weight the NKO certifications actually hold. Do I need to bring in a copy of my NKO certificates or my page 4 from my service record to the job interview? I suppose a copy of my SMART transcripts would also list all the NKO courses I have completed. I have TAPS class on April 16th so I assume some of these questions will be answered then, but figured I'd go ahead and ask now.

I also am working on my Six Sigma certifications on NKO and am wondering if they are worth finishing. Does the nuclear community care at all about Six Sigma? I believe I am currently on Green Belt certifications.

Thanks once again to all who read and reply to my ramblings...  :)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Question about NKO Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:10 »
All depends on what type of job you are applying for, industry, etc. I am assuming you are a nuke and interested in staying nuke in some capacity?

I personally think all the Navy e-learning certs are worth about as much as the paper its printed on IMO. I think all that stuff shows you did something better with your time than surfing the internet, but still, being an actual QA guy and having a piece of paper....c'mon.

I would definitely finish all the six sig you can while its free, cause its expensive to pay for it out in the civvy world.

There are all kinds of jobs out there for black belts and master black belts and master ninja red belt champion lean warriors. Stay with that.

kungfupflanzer

Re: Question about NKO Certificates
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:25 »
Yes, I'm a nuke and intend on pursuing a career in nuclear power. QA is one of the major sources of contention I had with my time on the Stinkin' Lincoln. When I first got to the boat I was too junior for QAI school, and by the time Reactor Department could afford to send the next batch of QAIs out... I was too senior, too close to leaving the boat and therefore not "fiscally viable." I knew the QA manual better than the QAIs and QASs, and was board ready for the QA department head board... the prerequisite to qualifying QAI was the school, and the prerequisite for any of the senior QA quals was QAI.

Thats my sob story lol... but I've always been interested in Quality Assurance, just bad timing I guess. I took the NKO course hoping it would satisfy the requirements of QAI school, but couldn't get the QAO to buy off on it.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on Six Sigma... Master ninja red belt champion lean warrior!? I'll have to look into that

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?