Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting into Bartlett

Author Topic: Getting into Bartlett  (Read 11538 times)

ls13

Getting into Bartlett
« on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:44 »
I am degreed engineer from detroit auto industry. I would like to join Bartlett for power plant jobs. What is the best way to get considered by bartlett. I have submitted my resume on their site and applied for a few jobs, but so far did not receive any call from bartlett recruiters. Any suggestions will be very helpful. thanks in advance.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Getting into Bartlett
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2009, 04:23 »
Call THEM 800-225-0385.

If there is ANY position you are qualified for they will employ you. Just being "degree'd engineered from auto" doesn't equate to qualified nuclear guy.  Nuclear plants aren't like other industries, they prefer people that already have nuclear experience.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2009, 10:00 by Rennhack »

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:19 »
I recommend being available for any last minute openings, in any type of entry level position - such as deconner, to get your foot in the door. Once you work an outage or two, and demonstrate your ability to obtain your clearance, your work ethic, and your availability and flexibility, they will do their best to keep you working. Knowing someone in the business also helps you get that first opportunity - then it's up to you.
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:49 »
You might try some of the companies that are mainly engineering .  Bechtel is one that we see here a lot but there are others
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

ls13

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009, 03:16 »
Call THEM 800-225-0385.

If there is ANY position you are qualified for they will employ you. Just being "degree'd engineered from auto" doesn't equate to qualified nuclear guy.  Nuclear plants aren't like other industries, they prefer people that already have nuclear experience.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. should i tell them, that i am open for any position and they will determine what job will be correct for me or how does it work?.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2009, 03:47 »
I suggest sending resumes to nukes looking for new RO/SRO candidates. Search Monster.com for nuclear operator and you should get ones looking for people for their new classes. I know quite a few are looking for people with nonnuclear degrees. It is not an easy course to be a Reactor Operator. Lots of study on your own time as well. Good luck.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:08 »
Thanks guys. should i tell them, that i am open for any position and they will determine what job will be correct for me or how does it work?

All of the advice other people are giving is good advice, however it does not answer your question.

if you specifically want to work for Bartlett, they will probably only be able to get you an entry level position, such as Decontamination technician.  One of the other Bartlett companies  called "Sun" hires engineers.  I don't know their number, but you can call the 800-225-0385, and tell them you are desperate for a job, and would be interested in both a decon job (if you are really desperate for work) or fro the number to sun, and see if they can get you engineer work.

Again, the other suggestions are good ones, they will get you work, and at much better pay, just not 'today'.  do all of the above, some will take longer than others and some will be faster, then you have a backup plan, and a long term plan.

The more info you give us, the better we can help you.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:47 »
I worked for Sun Tech last spring.
775-829-2499
Offices are in Reno.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:27 »
I worked for Sun Tech last spring.
775-829-2499
Offices are in Reno.

Thanks Paul. 

Calling Sun, a 'Bartlett Company' is probably your most financially advantageous option.  Calling the other number might get you a job, but the pay might not be acceptable.  Try everything.

ls13

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:20 »
Thanks Paul. 

Calling Sun, a 'Bartlett Company' is probably your most financially advantageous option.  Calling the other number might get you a job, but the pay might not be acceptable.  Try everything.

I got the standard reply of "nothing is available, we will keep your resume on file". Even decon jobs, according to the recruiter, are all filled for present outages.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:40 »
I got the standard reply of "nothing is available, we will keep your resume on file". Even decon jobs, according to the recruiter, are all filled for present outages.

If its what you want don't give up. Openings come up expectantly all the time. I would not limit yourself to just Bartlett, at the end of each outage/project you will be unemployed anyway. Use nukeworker.com to establish some contacts and get a better idea of what is available in the myriad of service companies out there. Don't be afraid to cross lines there are a number of airtraffic controllers as Rad Techs that found their way into the business when Reagan busted their union.
   There is also an infusion of money coming to the DOE for remediation from the stimulus package. So I would expand your search. Most of my my experience has been Rad Pro but my last job was as a superintendent on a remediation project ( my apologies to the poor Rad Techs who covered my job  :) ). Engineers are in demand as Project Managers planners etc. if you can hook up at the right time and right place.

Good Luck...

ls13

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:59 »
   If its what you want don't give up. Good Luck...

thanks guys for, all your helpful posts. Do let me know if you have ideas.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2009, 12:03 by ls13 »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:41 »
many utilities are hiring - as a degreed engineer, engineering, operations are both options.

Look at the various utility websites...
Exelon
Entergy
Progress Energy
many others

A little search here on nukeworker will help you fond postings, job categories that may be interesting. You have already proven you can be educated (you have the degree) and have a work record.

Temp outage jobs are a good way to get your feet wet. But you have already worked in a large industry, as an engineer, probably with project team and design change experience - give the plants a chance.

Good luck, hope you can find something.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2009, 10:12 »
how do i get in that ro/sro stuff?

1.0 Change your attitude
2.0 Learn to take constructive criticism
3.0 Start out as a non-licensed operator, work your way up (if you pass the tests and the interview process).

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:33 »
I know SRS is constantly looking for engineers of specfic types, ie. electrical, chemical etc.  Lately they have been hiring kids right out of college. Since they are government contractors, their jobs are generally posted on the SC state employment agency. I believe if you check the computer of your state agency, you can access SC's jobs.
No one gets out alive.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?