Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New Grad - Need Advice

Author Topic: New Grad - Need Advice  (Read 4314 times)

khaygart

New Grad - Need Advice
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:44 »
I need some advice on how to break into the industry. I am a new grad, and after applying to a great number of jobs, am still having difficulty finding something.

I graduated from a top tier university with my Masters in Chemistry under a prestigious researcher. The lab I worked in was a DOE facility (attached to the university.) My research focused on Gen.IV. super-critical water reactor corrosion (SSC) and I have several publications and an excellent academic record. I also have a few years experience (before returning to graduate school) at Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL) (Thermal-hydraulic Modeling) and Ontario Power Generation (Ontario Hydro) (Simulator development.) I even know how to use MCNP and FACSIMILE.

I think my main disadvantage is being a Canadian Citizen, but I'm starting to become discouraged after looking for work for over six months now, and despite several interviews, finding nothing.

Any advice?

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
Re: New Grad - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:51 »
Jump back in with OPG as a grad trainee? Just a thought.
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:36 »
Have you tried going to something like the American Nuclear Society or Canadian Nuclear Society national meetings?  There is usually a trade show where nuclear related companies are showing their products or looking to hire people (the ANS meeting is in San Diego in about a month).  There's probably also similar meetings for the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering societies.  You might also try the NRC or Canadian regulators.

cbguy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2010, 11:00 »
Have you checked at The Bruce?  I've heard that they are staffing up.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:04 »
I need some advice on how to break into the industry. I am a new grad, and after applying to a great number of jobs, am still having difficulty finding something.

I graduated from a top tier university with my Masters in Chemistry under a prestigious researcher. The lab I worked in was a DOE facility (attached to the university.) My research focused on Gen.IV. super-critical water reactor corrosion (SSC) and I have several publications and an excellent academic record. I also have a few years experience (before returning to graduate school) at Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL) (Thermal-hydraulic Modeling) and Ontario Power Generation (Ontario Hydro) (Simulator development.) I even know how to use MCNP and FACSIMILE.

I think my main disadvantage is being a Canadian Citizen, but I'm starting to become discouraged after looking for work for over six months now, and despite several interviews, finding nothing.

Any advice?

Canadian citizens can still work all the other Commonwealth nations, right?  Have you checked for possibilities along those lines?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?