Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ET vs. EM vs. MM

Author Topic: ET vs. EM vs. MM  (Read 45594 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: ET vs. EM vs. MM
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:22 »
Just a recommendation:  If .<snipped>.  If you hate reading the same questions over and over again, who do you have to blame?   The lack of a Ignore User button

Really ladies and gentlemen, these forums are becoming more and more filled with the excreted bitterness of navy nuke lives past and present.  I think it would do this community good to try and maintain perspective and maybe a bit more humility.   

Thanks for judging the whole community. You may not agree with the tough love approach, but as long as the tough and the posters stay within the rules, it is just as valid as the philosophy of honoring every single question, no matter if it has been asked repeatedly for several years.

I absolutely agree with the throttleman, it seems the purpose of ANY forum is to educate and help people out - we are too quick to point out the inability of "nukes" to find information.  The search function only works if you are a member,

absolutely wrong. I just tried it. Even as Guest, using the search window on right edge of screen, try the keywords " spu ike" You will get search results. Myth-busted!!

unfortunately they are not joining for 15 minutes BEFORE searching for 15 hours on this website so that they could actually find the information they should've found on their own.  My point is this:
   This website has a lot of purposes, one surely needs to be to help the ridiculously incapable of finding their way in a much more humble manner - my thoughts not yours.

Gotta vehemently disagree.....yet respect that you took the time to state your case.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:39 »
You got to do all of those jobs???  All I got was ELT, so for some reason I have no frame of reference to judge the other rates. :P ;) :P ;) :P

I know some surface EM's (let's say... right now...) that would debate you on the assumption that it's the best nuke job.  Just as you've no doubt experienced as a SPU, the "best" nuke job in the navy is, well, a dynamic ideal... A moving target if you will.

I have to concur with his assessment as a sub MM/ELT.

Justin

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:04 »
Rex, what I find amazing on this forum is how little has changed since I was in the Navy  (1966-72).  Nukes are Nukes.  Most complain about the conditions, but most also will admit it is was an experience they are proud to have. 

Anyway, I feel your biggiest challenge is your age and your family.  You are 24 going on 25, when I was 23, I was considered an old man, but had the rank  (Nuc ET, E5 in two years, E6 in four).  But worse then that, there is nothing in your experience or your family's that will prepare them for where you are going.  Things won't be to bad for the first 1.5 years, then it starts.  Prototype training was a seven day rotating 12 hour shift when I attended the unit a Balston Spa, I assume it still is.  Even this is easy on the family until you reach the fleet.

Having worked as an RO in engineering and a lead ET in operations, I can tell you with absolute certainty you are going into the worse surface fleet duty sector the Navy has to offer.  While it is true, the sea duty will be the same, it is the in port duty that is rotten.  Most divisions have in port duty sections of around 5 days or so, engineering does not.  Unlike the radio guys, or the weapons guys, even a cold iron reactor has a watch.  If you are hot, the engine room has to be manned at a higher level, and a critical reactor is manned at the same level whether at sea or dock side.  So look to lots of 3 section duty (one off, two on) if you are lucky.

Life in most parts of the Navy is a life apart from your family, and that can, and has been a hard experience for many.

It is an adventure, but it is not glamorous, and there is nothing wrong with going for the money, just realize it is a salary.  I remember an E5 RO when asked by the watch officer something he did not know reply, "Sir, what do you want for 50 cents an hour, an Einstein"  Yep, back then that's what it worked out to be.

As far as ET, EM, or MM, after the service, it does not matter much.  I got out and became an accountant, then retired as an IT manager.  You never know how it will turn out.

Good luck to you and the family

Noelan
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Xenon_Free

« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:15 »
@Dave
 - Seriously, I really can't access the "search" function as a guest - it comes up with a log in screen and says I need to log in first... maybe I am just one neutron short of being a nuke.

@Jason
 - I really hope you don't mean you won't offer future advice to baby nukes - your unique experience (in the navy, in life, in anything) might offer an insight that others may not have considered.

@Both of you
 - Clearly we are on opposite sides of this issue, that's cool - I agree a lot with what you guys said.  For example when you said "Let them Fail" and "You may not agree with the tough love approach".
  I thought about it and you are absolutely right - that is the nuke way, and that is the way I have thought about it for a long time.  Was this a result of being a nuke in the navy or a character trait from before the navy that makes me a nuke?  I guess I'll never know.  But like it or not, I agree with the survival of the fittest approach.  I'm only saying that I haven't met a nuke yet who didn't believe they were the smartest one in the room, including myself I suppose, but it doesn't make us right every time - we just think we are.

I'm not suggesting a love-fest with people who ask retarded questions but honestly, some people posting REPLIES are not getting the abuse they deserve for the crap they post  - but we jump on the newby asking stupid questions in hurry.

XF

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:15 »
@Dave
 - Seriously, I really can't access the "search" function as a guest - it comes up with a log in screen and says I need to log in first... maybe I am just one neutron short of being a nuke.
@Jason
 - I really hope you don't mean you won't offer future advice to baby nukes - your unique experience (in the navy, in life, in anything) might offer an insight that others may not have considered.

@Both of you
 - Clearly we are on opposite sides of this issue, that's cool - I agree a lot with what you guys said.  For example when you said "Let them Fail" and "You may not agree with the tough love approach".
  I thought about it and you are absolutely right - that is the nuke way, and that is the way I have thought about it for a long time.  Was this a result of being a nuke in the navy or a character trait from before the navy that makes me a nuke?  I guess I'll never know.  But like it or not, I agree with the survival of the fittest approach.  I'm only saying that I haven't met a nuke yet who didn't believe they were the smartest one in the room, including myself I suppose, but it doesn't make us right every time - we just think we are.

I'm not suggesting a love-fest with people who ask retarded questions but honestly, some people posting REPLIES are not getting the abuse they deserve for the crap they post  - but we jump on the newby asking stupid questions in hurry.

XF

XF, no the problem is not yours; I just logged out and then attempted to use the search function and it came up that I either had to log in or register an account with nukeworker. I will address this on the proper forum; as for the rest... without questions there would be no need for teachers or mentors and without sharing the knowledge we have what good does it do us?

Camella

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:49 »
@Dave

+K to ya.... I got to thinking, even when I completely logged off, came in, and ran my search, giving the results I previously posted. However..... even if I'm logged off, when I go to run the generic search, the server recognizes my IP address, so it will allow the search.

I think some better minds are crafting a solution as we type! :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:05 »
@Dave

The Forum powered search is only accessible to registered members.  However, the Google powered site search on the home page is accessible to everyone.  You two might be talking about different search boxes.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2009, 12:01 »
However, the Google powered site search on the home page is accessible to everyone.  You two might be talking about different search boxes.

So, that's what they mean when they say to think outside of the box...
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:37 »
So, that's what they mean when they say to think outside of the box...

And here I thought that meant being smarter than the ETs and EMs in EOS/Maneuvering ;)

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:06 »
And here I thought that meant being smarter than the ETs and EMs in EOS/Maneuvering ;)
Doh!
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

mizzyung

« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:15 »

1.  Though I am familiar with the job descriptions, etc. for the different rates (ET, EM, and MM), I'm curious as to promotion trends, any difference in pay among them, transferability to the civilian world, along with difference in working hours.

2.  In my time without a job, I have racked up a significant amount of debt (roughly $15,000).  Though payments are being made, and to my knowledge everything is current, I'm wondering if/how this would affect my ability to get the necessary security clearance(s).

3.  If (and I know it's a big IF) I am picked up for staff at NNPTU, keeping in mind the wife and kids part, would it be wise to take those orders?...or should I just go to sea duty?  I'm concerned that the time spent teaching will put me a little behind in actually applying the knowledge, and therefore would have an impact on keeping up with quals once aboard a boat.

Hi...I'm Just going to skip over the parts I cant say I'm personally familiar with...

1. $ wise most ET's get the bigger bonuses...Scheduled hours are the same. All have set school hours and all go on the same rotating shift work schedule, but study hours depend through school depend on you and what you are comfortable with. I was an MM, we basically focused on how things were put together and taken apart, worked, and maintained. My husband is an ET and his description is more of the operator side of things. we build, they work it. And My best friend is an EM and she's always said just basically combine the two and you get what she do. That's as far as schooling goes.

2. Like they've said, if you current and making your payments, you should be fine. just so long as you don't have alcohol related incidents on record too though. They've begun this major crack down on ANY alcohol related incidents including DUIs and public intoxication because they started having major issues with the students down here. A lot of people are being de-nuked because of it.

3. My husband got picked up, which was great with having 1 child and another on the way and gave me some extra time to get used to being without him 12+ hrs out of the day on a daily basis to help me adjust to having to take care of home and the children alone. If he'd have went straight to sea I think it"d have been tougher to adjust with our son. He is definitely applying the knowledge he's learned (complaints and dirty uniforms never stop) and is even being pushed by his superiors in his quals that he will need when he gets to his ship. That depends on what you are willing to make time for. The time as a staff pick up also counts toward teaching credentials in the civilian world which helps out because that's what he wants to do when he gets out.

Best of luck to you!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?