Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Kryptonite

Author Topic: Kryptonite  (Read 11372 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Kryptonite
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:47 »
Kryptonite is the fictional element that was Supermans bane. Fans (nerds) linked this fictional element to a real one. Which element was this. (Humor me, the answer is unique in itself).

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Kryptonite
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:57 »
Would it be periodic element number 36 Krypton?
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:13 »
Would it be periodic element number 36 Krypton?

No it is a higher atomic number.

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:14 »
Unbihexium atomic number 126

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:14 »
Jadarite - sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide - discovered on Earth in Serbia

it's not an element,...

I am looking for an element.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 03:16 by Marlin »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:17 »
Ok how about.......

UNOBTANIUM 237

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:21 »
Unbihexium atomic number 126

Excellent this did not take as long as I expected. Atomic number 126, known formally as unbihexium, is the proposed atomic number of Kryptonite. This element is a favorite of the nuclear physicist/Superman fanboy geek subset—a bigger demographic than you would expect—because unbihexium is the heaviest theoretical double-magic transuranic on the nuclear island of stability.

Physicist Glenn Seaborg, one of a select few to have an element named in his honor during his lifetime—seaborgium, atomic number 106—first proposed the so-called island of stability on the upper fringes of the periodic table. The island is a range of superheavy elements that, despite their three-figure atomic numbers, would prove comparatively stable, with theoretical half-lives measuring longer than a few seconds.

The idea behind the island is that the atomic nucleus' organization occurs by shells, just like electron levels. Each shell could accommodate a certain number of protons or neutrons, and a "complete" shell would produce a stable element.

As atomic numbers get larger, each subsequent outer shell requires more protons or neutrons to be complete, so heavier stable elements are rare. The island of stability theory holds that certain "magic numbers" of protons or neutrons would produce stable shells: 114, 120, or 126 protons, and 184 neutrons.

Therefore, the isotope unbihexium-310 (126 protons and 184 neutrons) would be "double magic." As the heaviest theoretically stable atomic isotope, unbihexium is a favorite of science-fiction writers—and the most often-cited candidate for a true-life Kryptonite.

Offline Llama

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:31 »
Do you think I might get an RAI if I included it in the suite of nuclides-of-concern   ;D  ;D

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:33 »
Excellent this did not take as long as I expected. Atomic number 126, known formally as unbihexium, is the proposed atomic number of Kryptonite. This element is a favorite of the nuclear physicist/Superman fanboy geek subset—a bigger demographic than you would expect—because unbihexium is the heaviest theoretical double-magic transuranic on the nuclear island of stability.

Physicist Glenn Seaborg, one of a select few to have an element named in his honor during his lifetime—seaborgium, atomic number 106—first proposed the so-called island of stability on the upper fringes of the periodic table. The island is a range of superheavy elements that, despite their three-figure atomic numbers, would prove comparatively stable, with theoretical half-lives measuring longer than a few seconds.

The idea behind the island is that the atomic nucleus' organization occurs by shells, just like electron levels. Each shell could accommodate a certain number of protons or neutrons, and a "complete" shell would produce a stable element.

As atomic numbers get larger, each subsequent outer shell requires more protons or neutrons to be complete, so heavier stable elements are rare. The island of stability theory holds that certain "magic numbers" of protons or neutrons would produce stable shells: 114, 120, or 126 protons, and 184 neutrons.

Therefore, the isotope unbihexium-310 (126 protons and 184 neutrons) would be "double magic." As the heaviest theoretically stable atomic isotope, unbihexium is a favorite of science-fiction writers—and the most often-cited candidate for a true-life Kryptonite.

Marlin, after reading all of that, I want to tell you something because I care about your health.  

"There are plenty of decaffinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the regular stuff."(10 pts if you can name that movie).

But seriously, WHERE do you come up with this stuff and why are you actually able to find people that can answer it?

Offline Llama

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:49 »
However, if it were included in the initial suite I would have to evaluate the compliance with the dose criteria and, since it is not in DandD I guess I would have to break out Federal Guidance Reports 11 and 12 and compare the weighted DCFs to the sum of DCFs.  ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:55 »
Marlin, after reading all of that, I want to tell you something because I care about your health.  

Got Coffee  ;)

"There are plenty of decaffinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the regular stuff."(10 pts if you can name that movie).

Real Genius...Kris Knight

But seriously, WHERE do you come up with this stuff and why are you actually able to find people that can answer it?

99% Persperation and 1% inspiration. ( that's another look up for you )

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:51 »

Actually these abilities are only obtainable via an extensive education background, relavent life experiences and the amplified wisdom of a true seasoned proffessional! 

In other words, "A bunch of old guys sitting in front of a computer"!

marssim, took you to K-2000, now your famous!

Have a Great day.............RG   ;D       

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2009, 09:47 »

99% Persperation and 1% inspiration. ( that's another look up for you )

...Edison...

..."humility is not a trait that instills confidence in those seeking competence"...

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2009, 09:48 by wlrun3 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?