Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A different situation than the others I've read here for getting into the NUPOC

Author Topic: A different situation than the others I've read here for getting into the NUPOC  (Read 4330 times)

tmc_grad_09

I just turned 23 a couple weeks ago.  I'll be graduating from Thomas More College with a B.A. in Accountancy with a little under a 3.5 GPA.  I've wanted to become a military officer for some time now.  Both my father and grandfather served.  It's one of those things I feel like if I didn't do I would regret.  The first thing I did was some google searches for military and accounting.  I then came across the Army Finance Corps.  Which looked great to me, but I'm not guaranteed anything.  I could only put it on my wish list.  With that in mind I searched the other career opportunities in the army and didn't seem to find any that intrigued all that much if I didn't get in the Finance Corps.

That's when I decided to broaden my scope and see what branch I could find three officer careers in that would suit me if I didn't get my first choice.  In doing so I found the officer career choice of nuclear navy.  Had I been more forward looking while entering college and knew about this program I would have went into engineering.  For some reason the thought of getting a technical degree never crossed my mind while picking a major.  I grew up working in our family business and I believe that left me narrow minded and focused on business when selecting a major.  Also, I lean navy because of the possibility of being stationed in San Diego where my sister moved to about eight years ago.

I put a high value on education much more than I do money.  I'm capable of doing that with my current situation.  I have no kids or a serious relationship and my father’s business affords our family a comfortable living.  When I graduate I'll have 136 credit hours, but in order to be a CPA you must pass the exam and have 150 credit hours.  I'm going to have to pick up more credits no matter what.  I was thinking I could get the remaining credits I needed by going to the University of Cincinnati and taking the two required calculus courses and the two required physics courses.  I'd go to UC, because it's ten minutes from my house and they have a nuclear engineering program.

If I did well in those courses with my background do you think there is any shot in me being accepted into the NUPOC program?  I'd like to get into the program, then use the 30 months allotted to me by the program to continue taking courses that would get me closer to obtaining the engineering degree.

If I left out any other background information you would need to know in order to give me a better idea of where I stand please ask.

Edit:  I forgot to mention before I get the reply:  "Why not give it a shot you need the credits anyways?" that I'm only 15 hours short of a second major in economics and could go that route at my current college.

Edit:  Also, I took the ASVAB when I was 19 and scored an 88 without doing any sort of preparation.  I'm sure I'll score much higher now that I've been through college and with some preparation.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 03:45 by tmc_grad_09 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
IMHO, you are a viable candidate, as long as you take the calculus and physics you need and get good grades in them (remember the physics required is calculus-based physics).

Good Luck.
GC
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 06:24 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
If history and english majors can become Engineer Officers aboard submarines (and they do and are), there's no reason an accounting major can't do what you are looking to do.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
Absolutely.  If you have time in your schedule I'd recommend a basic thermo and a basic circuits course as well.  But if that doesn't work out it's no biggie.  You'll need the calc/calc-based physics though. 

Khak-Hater

I thought the Bearcats cancelled their NE program back in the late 90s.  It doesn't make a difference for you (i.e., for the courses you need).  I was just wondering.

On topic, back when I was on the Enterprise [early 90s], we had a few nuke officers with business degrees as well as a couple of history majors and a poly sci major.  None of them were any worse than the rest, if anything they were a little more open minded and less rigid and pompous than the engineering majors.  I'd list one of the history majors as one of the top five nuke officers that I worked with [based on plant knowledge and the ability to get things done].

That said, have you considered serving as a supply officer?  I know that it doesn't sound quite as glamorous as a nuke officer, but nothing's all that glamorous once you get into it.  Along with your accounting degree, some deck-plate level experience in logistics, administration, and bureaucracy could be very useful for a future in business.  In most cases, logistics makes the difference between success and failure.  Hannibal, Napoleon, Lee, and Rommel were all brilliant tacticians, but failed due to logistics.  Don't underestimate the importance of supply to the success of a cause.  In addition, the duty is far more pleasant than nuke officer duty.  Just a thought. 

Good luck and thanks for your future service,

mgm

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
That said, have you considered serving as a supply officer? 

Just remember.......

Ft. Leavenworth is filled with "good" Supply Officers!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
And I hear the CHOP in Diego Garcia is looking for a replacement soon!  ;D
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Khak-Hater

Gamecock,

Please explain the joke (i.e., is that like saying that white-collar prisons are full of good CPAs?).

Thanks,

mgm

llitloml

My I have quite a few friends in NROTC and one is looking to be a Navy Nuke. They all told me the same thing. It really doesn't matter what you major was if you do well enough in college and the cac and calc-based physics corses. I've even heard that it's better to choose a non-related major because the Navy has "it's own brand of Physics." So I wouldn't worry about being a viable candidate since your GPA is good and all.  :) Well, good luck. I hope it works out.

-llitloml

tmc_grad_09

Thanks for the responses everybody!  Now who should I contact about this?  I found a number to call about the NUPOC program on one of the many sites I've been on to research, but when I called the number it was disconnected.

I know I could start by contacting the local navy office, but I don't want to even deal with that.  I dealt with the local enlisted recruiters a few years back when I was 19 and took the ASVAB.  As you can tell I'm not in the navy and that's because of the many lies and tricks I refused to fall for.  I'm serious about going in, but I just want to cut the BS.

Also, I could go NROTC while I attended graduate school or more undergrad.  I know the NUPOC is better, because it doesn't require any work except for the physical test every six months.  But maybe there is something I don't know or missing.  Thoughts anybody?
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 07:20 by Nuclear NASCAR »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?