Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NR vs. Civilian  

Author Topic: NR vs. Civilian  (Read 3395 times)

llitloml

NR vs. Civilian
« on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:40 »
Hi, Everyone.

I'm new to this site, so I hope my question doesn't turn out to be redundant, but I've been searching for similar topics for over and hour.

I am about to finish my freshman year of college as a Chemical Engineering major, and am intensely interesting in doing research on energy sources, especially nuclear. I've recently been looking in to the NUPOC program and becoming a Naval Reactors Engineer. What I would like to know is this: What kind of research opportunities are made available to an NR vs. a civilian scientist? Am I more or less likely to work in the lab if I join the Navy compared to getting my Masters or PhD on my own and trying to get a job as a civilian scientist with the ONR?

I'm not really asking about the pay or the physical requirement/demands of being in the Navy. And before anyone says anything about how people shouldn't join the military without 100% commitment, I'll just state that I would love to serve this country and I have always thought that if I ever joined the military, the Navy would be my first choice. I just want to know what my best bet is for getting to Naval research. Thanks

-llitloml

Offline Jimmykroffa

• Light User
  • Nuclear Operator
Re: NR vs. Civilian
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009, 04:04 »
Joining the Navy would not be the right route to go if you want to be an "engineer." The Navy breeds operators and operations supervisors who directly run the power plant. If you want to work in a lab, I suggest you apply to a government contractor such as Bechtel-Bettis, Lockheed Martin, Westinghouse, or a major shipyard......

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 09:27 »
If you want to work in a laboratory setting, that's where you should apply as stated above.  As an engineer at a shipyard, you won't be in a lab either, you'll be engineering controls into paperwork for the trades to execute as part of the build, overhaul, repair process.  There are laboratories at the shipyards doing things like analyzing pure water, looking for detrimental materials, and conducting tests of products to ensure they meet MIL SPECs.
As an NR engineer, you won't be breaking a lot of new ground unless you get into the advanced projects section which is working on the next generation nuclear propulsion plant.  You'll be working on stuff with the existing plants and ensuring the existing technical requirements are met.
But, with a little more research than you've done, I'm sure you could have found all that on your own.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 10:02 by NukeLDO »
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

llitloml

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2009, 02:06 »
To NukeLDO:
I've actually done quite a bit of research on it. The hour I was referring to was spent on this site alone. Most of my research was done else where. I know that you only work on new technology if you get into the advanced research, but I was asking about the chances percent-wise of getting that. As in, how likely is someone who does NUPOC to get that opportunity. Perhaps I didn't word that clearly enough for you.

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 02:49 »
I agree with NukeLDO, if you're looking to work in a lab doing research our programs (even NR eng) aren't going to be what you want.  Look into employment with the various labs directly.

llitloml

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2009, 03:03 »
Ok, thanks guys. Your replies were all really helpful.  ;D

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:55 »
NR is located on the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, DC.  There are approximately 350 people working there, divided among about 30 different sections, responsible for over 100 operating nuclear propulsion plants.  Considering the number of plants, the organization is actually pretty small.  There is no laboratory in DC.
There are about 130 additional NR personnel in the field at the prototypes, shipyards, and laboratories, the majority of whom are Limited Duty Officers (LDOs) who act as the eyes and ears for the HQ organization.
The laboratories (Pittsburg and Schenectady) are now run by a sole prime contractor for the nuclear propulsion program (Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation).  The engineers/scientists at the labs are BPMC employees, not NR engineers.
Odds of ending up in a laboratory setting and doing laboratory type research as an NR engineer?  Almost none.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?