Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu thomas edison state college

Author Topic: thomas edison state college  (Read 5837 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

thomas edison state college
« on: Mar 13, 2009, 09:58 »

...the back yard of thomas edison state college in trenton, new jersey is the location of the hessian barracks that george washington attacked after crossing the delaware river on christmas eve, 1776...

Offline anthonyalsup

• Light User
Re: thomas edison state college
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 06:49 »
You mean there's actually a building at Thomas Edison?  I thought I just sent my $ to a PO Box!

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2009, 09:24 »
You mean there's actually a building at Thomas Edison?  I thought I just sent my $ to a PO Box!

I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way!  When I was taking my C++ course, and called my 'adviser' to ask for help, I got a movie theater.  "Thank you for calling bla bla bla cinema... todays showings are..." but when I left a message, he eventually called back.  From that course, I learned (by begging every engineer and programmer at the plant) that no one in the universe, except in India, really uses C++. 

I know what that building in Trenton is for, though!  They have an incredibly efficient machine in place to ask alumni for money after you graduate.

dirac

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2009, 01:14 »
I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way!  When I was taking my C++ course, and called my 'adviser' to ask for help, I got a movie theater.  "Thank you for calling bla bla bla cinema... todays showings are..." but when I left a message, he eventually called back.  From that course, I learned (by begging every engineer and programmer at the plant) that no one in the universe, except in India, really uses C++. 

I know what that building in Trenton is for, though!  They have an incredibly efficient machine in place to ask alumni for money after you graduate.

C++ is still widely used. It may not be the newest and greatsest of sotware programming languages but is definitely a foundation for many. For example, if you use LabView at all for anything but measuring temperature you would require C++ programming skills to write subroutines and data acquisition routines. Also for calculating trends from data and trying to analyze your data. Any engineer worth his salt has a background in C++ and FORTRAN, regardless of the newset and greatset software languages. Its not like you'll be using DRUPAL to figure out your heat rate losses anytime soon.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2009, 10:07 »
C++ is still widely used

I'm sure it is!  But just try to get some help with homework on it!

Bill
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2009, 10:08 by Creeker »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:30 »

I drove through Trenton, New Jersey at three in the morning coming from the last oyster creek outage. The surprisingly attractive downtown area was totally deserted.
   As I slowly passed the clock that serves as the Thomas Edison State College logo and turned at the corner that the single large brick campus building is located on, I saw a commemorative plaque in front of an antique metal fence.
   In reading the plaque I remembered the vivid description of the icy night of December 25, 1776, given by David McCullough in his recent national best seller, "1776".
   Standing in front of the plaque, the fence, and the small and well preserved wooden building that had been the barracks for the Hessian troops that the desperate General George Washington had overwhelmed on that frozen Christmas Night...I looked right at the loading dock at the back of the Thomas Edison State College building, then left, across the street, at the sidewalked banks of the Delaware River.
   The Oyster Creek outage had gone well and the concensus among the permanent employees at the oldest operating nuclear power plant in America was that the soon to expire forty year license would be extended for another twenty years.
   It was November 6, 2008, and as I left Trenton, driving west on the three thousand mile long, New York to San Francisco, Interstate 80, I wondered what George Washington would have thought about this new and transformational leader that we had just elected as the forty fourth president of the country that he created on that last chance moment in the ice, in the dark.

Bill Runge, Bachelor of Science Degree, Applied Science and Technology, Radiation Protection, Thomas Edison State College, 1994

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2009, 12:31 by wlrun3 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?