Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Where to Begin  

Author Topic: Where to Begin  (Read 16443 times)

nunuke

Where to Begin
« on: Mar 16, 2009, 01:51 »
I am geting ready to go back to school and my plan is to finish my mechanical engineering degree and work in the nuke industry...that is the extent of my nuke knowledge.  Basically all of my family are in the nuculear industry (from srnl, srns, becktel and crystal river) but Im not getting the answeres Im looking for and my best resource (my dad) is a chemist anyway.  My questions are as follow. 
  1) I dont understand the first thing about job positions/titles in the engineering-nuke industry.  How can I go about researching different job tracks, what they are, what they do, and what they require? 
  2)  How am I supposed to get the proper qualifications and education needed to pursue a particular track without knowing exactly what that track is or does?
  3)  I have noticed from various job postings that you must have some pretty serious qualifications to do much of anything, can I be working on these qualification while im in school and how would I know what these qualifications are? 
I have been going to nuclulear society meetings and other misc. functions to try and learn some lingo and meet some faces but its not a learning atmosphere and I haven't picked up much.  Im sure this post seems very amateurish and thats because it is.  I will be starting back school in the fall and will only have 2 years left.  Im worried that I need be taking the classes that'll impact what I will ultimately do in the workplace.  But I dont even know what that is and I dont want to end up shooting myself in the foot.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Where to Begin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2009, 02:12 »
(I wonder how long this one will take) :(
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2009, 02:49 »
If I drank, it'd be cheese with wine. ;D
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:39 »
The first questions that come to mind are:
1.  What jobs have you been looking at?
2.  What were the "pretty serious qualifications" that you noticed while looking at these jobs.
3.  Did any of these jobs have requirements other than the degree that you're already pursuing? 

You've come to the right place to get your answers. 
Welcome to Nukeworker!

Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:50 »
50 quatloos

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:22 »
What everyone is telling you is:

Start here:  http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,119.0.html

Use the search feature to find out other things you want to know, and then ask your questions.  The answers are here, but it takes some effort on your part to find them.

nunuke

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2009, 10:25 »
A few particular job titles I’ve seen lately would probably be criticality safety, controls QA/QC and S&S Engineer.  I think I am beginning to understand some of these but I don’t know at all what S&S means. 
 An example of the qualifications that seem tough would be (Mox Plant, Operations Engineer) “5 years experience in nuclear fuel manufacturing”. (Which is understandable because of what they do at Mox and it seems possible with inter/co-op)  but…. “Experience in plutonium processing and experience in chemical processing and experience in human factors engineering and highly automated manufacturing operations”  ???, if it weren’t for copy and paste I don’t think I could have repeated that.  Seems pretty specialized and from reading other threads it doesn’t look like a great idea to get very specialized in something particular.
  I have been designing ships and boats and everything in between the past few years and I was real big into computer design/3d modeling.  I have noticed a ton of jobs for this PDS Piping software but I don’t know anything about that either.  LDO I understand, I post on a saltwater fishing blog probably as regularly as you guys here at nukeworker so I understand the difficulty  and or frustration that comes along with the “search” function, but know pain no gain I guess.  By the way are  you guys eating homemade or microwave cuz you know that microwave stuff is bad for you.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2009, 10:49 »
QA/QC is Quality Assurance/Quality Control-QC=The folks in charge of making certain we put the right stuff in the right place in the right way.  QA & QC are sometimes interchangeable depending on location.  QA has been called the Dept. of second guessing (Not my words) because part of what they do involves going back over corrective actions to ensure that they have been answered correctly, etc... 

S&S might stand for Systems & Structures, but I'm probably wrong on that. 

It sounds as though you've been looking at quite a variety of companies, not just energy production by the looks of your descriptions.

-Bertrand Russell

nunuke

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2009, 02:48 »
Interesting you would point out that I am looking into different fields; different fields within the nuke industry or different types of work all together? I have been been trying to look at as many differnt titles/requirements etc as possible but I do want to be in the nuke industry.  I have been seeing a lot about ao's, ro's, and sro's.  Im not totally clear on what these jobs do but I do like the ability to move up professionaly and it seems a lot of veterans feel that this is a good foot in the door.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2009, 02:52 »
By the way are  you guys eating homemade or microwave cuz you know that microwave stuff is bad for you.

Why is cooking food by rattling hydrogen atoms with an S-band radar any worse than heating food with a toaster oven or wasting lots of BTUs in an oven?!?

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:23 »
Why is cooking food by rattling hydrogen atoms with an S-band radar any worse than heating food with a toaster oven or wasting lots of BTUs in an oven?!?

I think the difference lies in what you put in the microwave vs. the oven, but I could be wrong.

(What was the topic again?) :P
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2009, 08:23 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:10 »
I am geting ready to go back to school and my plan is to finish my mechanical engineering degree and work in the nuke industry...

oh kay... git yer mek eng degree.  list on nukeworker.com.  go on interviews.  take job.  list on lots of job search sites.  go on interviews.  take better job.  repete as necessary.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2009, 02:27 »
It all depends on what it is you ultimately want to do.  It sounds now like your ultimate goal is to get a job in the nuke industry - nothing more specific than that.  If thats the case mechanical engineering will work out well for you because you can do a ton of stuff starting with that degree.  It sounds to me like you're looking at the wrong jobs.  No one finishing a degree will have 5 years of experience doing anything relevent to plutonium handling.

For Mech-E's you have the option of working in quality, engineering (reactor, structural/civil, design, thermal-hydraulic etc etc.) project management, operations, manufacturing etc. The list is endless but the key take-away is you need to look for entry-level positions.  You also need to decide if you want to work at a plant, for an NSSS (nuclear steam supply system - The reactor and heat removal components) vendor, for a BOP (Balance of plant - The non-NSSS components) vendor, or some company that services NSSS or BOP equipment.  Westinghouse is hiring like crazy right now because theyre working on aging management for older plants and trying to begin building new ones.  I would imagine GE and AREVA are in the same boat.

Step 1 is getting the degree.  After that looks on sites like Monster, this site, and individual company's websites.

good luck, and feel free to ask me anything you like.

Brian

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2009, 04:33 »
 I would imagine GE and AREVA are in the same boat.

[/quote]

yes
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2009, 06:23 »
Where's Broadzilla when you need a mentor?

RG................. :o

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:02 »
Where's Broadzilla when you need a mentor?

RG................. :o

Probably sitting back watching how this worm turns. 

-Bertrand Russell

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2009, 08:11 »
Hummmmmmmmm...... ::)

I'll take a shot at this one! 

I'll assume you have a word processor program in your computer, which includes a spell check function...USE IT!  Then you should hire a 4th grader to proof your drafts, prior to selecting the "POST" function!  Sorry if I appear somewhat hostile or cold, but an individual with 2 years of higher education should be above the Ebonics and Phonetic level displayed in your posting!  If you don't care what you write, or how you write it, be prepared for the appropriate responses!  In case you haven't learned, "NO ANSWER" is an answer with a very significant meaning!

You've already completed two years, of a four year degree and now you want to enter the nuclear field?  A field that you know nothing about, or have the ability to properly spell!  Family is usually a huge resource and you claim to have several members in the industry, but they can't answer your questions.  Is it that they; can't, won’t, or your inability to absorb what they are telling you?  The additional comment of your father being a chemist ..."ANYWAY"... seems a little disrespectful and it gives the appearance that you may be to intelligent to understand the typical layman!   

PSSSST...I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but you’re on Nukeworker! 

If you can't find the answers to a nuclear related question on this site, you probably haven't looked!  Maybe your question isn't on a marquee with the wording of your choice, but reading the various forum postings and replies can be an education in itself.  Another huge aspect of this site, (besides humor and sarcasm), is the conveyance of information by individuals in the trenches, who actually do this Nuclear stuff for a living!  You could listen to them, (father Included), or the high priced career counselor who taught you how to spell nuclulear?     >:(

My Humble Opinion...........RG!

nunuke

« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2009, 12:06 »
I do appreciate the input from those who are actually trying to help.  I have been reading and searching as much as I can in my spare time.

Rad Ghost it took you 3 whole days to come up with that?  Does picking on the new guy who doesn’t know anything make you feel better about yourself; did that help boost your self esteem, did it?  You couldn’t even get your first sentence in without using “assume”.  Well I am going to “assume” that because your asshole didn’t pucker up like that all the other times someone misspelled a word that you just need to change your tampon. By the way, my high priced career counselor you speak so highly of, her name is Mrs. Blackberry and she is dating Mr. Sarcasm.

Did you not say?
“If you try, the answer could be YES, or NO! (50/50)
If you don't try, the answer is NO!  (0/100)
Play the Odds..........  RG!”

And is this forum topic not entitled”Getting In”?  So in your own words wouldn’t it at least be worth trying to get some of my questions answered by a board full of “individuals in the trenches?

I don’t get to see the engineers in my family that often but when I do you better believe I have been trying to pick their brains.  However that can be difficult when you don’t know what questions to ask, oh wait a minute….maybe that was why my father (who I highly admire and respect) recommended that I post the questions he couldn’t answer on this particular open forum. 

Jason if that is true then how did RG get a job?  I carelessly misspell one word and all of a sudden they release the flood gates to his heart.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2009, 12:19 »
More butter please.   ;D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2009, 12:37 »
(snip)

Rad Ghost it took you 3 whole days to come up with that?  Does picking on the new guy (snip)

RG, like many others on NW, might actually be busy working an outage at present. In fact, RG has more time on the crapper inside the RCA than you do in the nuclear (spelled corrctly) industry , so STFU and try to glean something useful from the previous posts.

If you have a specific question that cannot be found by NukeLDO's excellent advice and hyperlink, then ask.

mlslstephens

« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2009, 02:28 »
RG, like many others on NW, might actually be busy working an outage at present. In fact, RG has more time on the crapper inside the RCA than you do in the nuclear (spelled corrctly) industry , so STFU and try to glean something useful from the previous posts.

If you have a specific question that cannot be found by NukeLDO's excellent advice and hyperlink, then ask.

Wow, I take a few days off from the NW forums and look what happens.  Oh, that's right, nothing new.  Another newbie that can't spell or use the search function gets his/her feelings hurt and attacks someone who will eventually help them out.

Hey, nunuke, don't be too alarmed or dishearted.  Although these guys/gals are seemingly difficult or demanding, it is because we have to be in this industry.  Take the harsh, but true, criticism; put your feelings aside and learn from them.  I promise, the guys who you think are the biggest jerks are the ones that will help you the most.

nuclear (spelled corrctly) industry

HD, I couldn't figure out whether your misspelling of "correctly" was an honest mistake or humor; but either way, I was ROTFLMAO.  Very funny.   ;)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:01 »
Wow, I take a few days off from the NW forums and look what happens.  Oh, that's right, nothing new.  Another newbie that can't spell or use the search function gets his/her feelings hurt and attacks someone who will eventually help them out.

Hey, nunuke, don't be too alarmed or dishearted.  Although these guys/gals are seemingly difficult or demanding, it is because we have to be in this industry.  Take the harsh, but true, criticism; put your feelings aside and learn from them.  I promise, the guys who you think are the biggest jerks are the ones that will help you the most.

HD, I couldn't figure out whether your misspelling of "correctly" was an honest mistake or humor; but either way, I was ROTFLMAO.  Very funny.   ;)

Honestly a typo, but the thread does need a chuckle from time to time !

*dusts off old copy of "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" in Win 3.1*

Motown homey

« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:31 »
*dusts off old copy of "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" in Win 3.1*

You could hardly find a NEW copy of Mavis.

nunuke

« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2009, 04:57 »
I just don’t understand, well I do understand I just don’t get it.  My very first post ever on Nuke Worker and I already have a bounty on my head.  I attempted to express my lack of knowledge for the nuclear industry and apparently have done a poor job.  I Nunuke, apologize to all those on the board I have offended either by my ignorance, attitude or language.  I never intended to offend so many.  Because of the combined input from those on the board I now have a place to begin searching.  You have to keep in mind that all the while I was being called out for not searching I really was, I just didn’t understand enough of the basic terminology to recognize what I was looking at.  I appreciate all of the input.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2009, 05:17 »
Basically all of my family are in the nuculear industry (from srnl, srns, becktel and crystal river) but Im not getting the answeres Im looking for...

I just don’t understand, well I do understand I just don’t get it.  My very first post ever on Nuke Worker and I already have a bounty on my head.  I attempted to express my lack of knowledge for the nuclear industry and apparently have done a poor job.

Might these phenomena somehow share a certain common denominator... ?

Or maybe not - I just never can tell.
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?