Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fire Department Chief Officer Wants to Go Nuke!

Author Topic: Fire Department Chief Officer Wants to Go Nuke!  (Read 4681 times)

tfire67

Fire Department Chief Officer Wants to Go Nuke!
« on: Mar 21, 2009, 12:26 »
I am a 41 year old Battalion Chief with Department of Defense in southern California.  I have 22 years of firefighting experience, including Hazmat and an extensive resume and background in the fire service, exclusively with DOD. 

I also have a personal interest in supporting nuclear electricity generation.  In recent years it has become my hobby to learn more about it.  I have developed a deep interest in how nuclear power can serve our country. 

I would like to match my career closer with this personal interest.  I am seeking to a new employer and I'm willing to relocate to many parts of the country.  I am keeping my options wide open to any position, however if federal job series 0081 positions are available, I would logically seek those first.  I am currently a YN-0081-01 and would prefer to remain on a path of upward mobility, however any position is worth consideration to me.

If anyone has any information about firefighting positions at nuclear facilities, I would greatly appreciate reading more. 

Thank you,
Tim

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Fire Department Chief Officer Wants to Go Nuke!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2009, 12:49 »
You will find a much leaner organization in a power plant, the operators and in plant personnel make up much of the firefighting force in general. It is not unusual for a DOE emergency department have an agreement to help the community that they are in but the reverse is true for a commercial power plant in general.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2009, 01:05 »
It just so happens that San Onofre is one of the few nuclear plants with a full time fire department.  As they have mutual aid agreements with local fire departments, you might want to try to use your contacts to see if they have any openings.  You can also check out the SCE careers website:

http://www.edison.com/careers/sce_jobs.asp

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2009, 02:50 »
Another option is that at least at my plant there is a "fire marshall" that is in charge of ensuring that fire protection program is run properly. He does fire load analysis and is in charge of approving any changes.  There is also an instructor position that is in charge of fire brigade training. The trainer also is responsible for running the fire drills.  Sounds like you may be qualified for either of these jobs
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?