Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Security Clearance Translation

Author Topic: Navy Security Clearance Translation  (Read 6454 times)

NavynukeMM1

Navy Security Clearance Translation
« on: Mar 21, 2009, 04:59 »
I am retiring from the Navy in just about 18 months. I just had to get my clearance renewed since it had expired some time ago and nobody ever mentioned it. In January 2009, I was approved for a Secret clearance.

My question is, does this help with the job application/hiring process? or does it not even translate over?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Navy Security Clearance Translation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2009, 10:02 »
It translates and it doesn't.
The moment you separate from your command, you will no longer have a clearance.  It isn't like a drivers' license that you can swap for another when you move to another state.  It just evaporates.

What remains however, is the fact that in order to attain that clearance you had to live a life beyond reproach.  So, when they do your background checks (including criminal records, credit history, personal references ... etc.) they won't find anything that will prevent them from granting you their clearance.

Considering that they process tens of thousands of requests for access every year, it is easier that they do them all the same.  So, they don't sit around and wait for the federal government to supply them information about a past clearance when they can get all the information they need to give you a new clearance faster on their own.

Basically, you and some pipefitter from the Local are trying to get onto a site together.  They are going to use the same process to vet you both.  He may actually get his badge before you do, depending on whether his company has their act together, whether his or your references answer the phone, what order your paperwork landed in the in-box, ... etc.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Navy Security Clearance Translation
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2009, 09:30 »
You know, sometimes my answers are a little too focused.

I'll stand by the above concerning clearances at commercial or DOE sites.  But, if you are looking for a job at a DOD contractor, your current clearance is still good as long as it hasn't lapsed and has been deactivated for less than 2 years.  So, if they just did your reinvestigation for a Secret, it will be good for 10 years (I think) or 2 years after it gets turned off - whichever comes first.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?