Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nuclear instrumentation systems

Author Topic: nuclear instrumentation systems  (Read 4774 times)

totham

nuclear instrumentation systems
« on: Mar 22, 2009, 01:41 »
im having a hard time with an objective for my TESC narrative. It states 'to illustrate a design for a nuclear instrumentation system that is capable of covering the necessary dynamic range.' i dont even know where to start because i dont really understand what its asking, also i was a mechanic and nuclear instruments were always foreign to me. any help? any ideas? anybody? any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: nuclear instrumentation systems
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2009, 01:53 »
Draw a Source Range, Intermediate Range, and Power Range NI.

Something that covers cps through 100% power kind of deal.

Throw in some equations for neutron interactions with a boron lining, some gamma discriminators and call it a day.

I guess.

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2009, 12:34 »
Yes.  Expanding on the previous post, I would mention that the goal is to measure neutron radiation and explain how each type of detector accomplishes this task.  Proportional, compensated ion chamber, and uncompensated ion chamber.  At the three ranges, the neutron and gamma rates are different, and each type of detector is designed around counting the neutrons while discriminating the gammas, if necessary.

Dave

You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

totham

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2009, 01:15 »
thanks guys, i really appreciate you taking your time to help me out.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?