Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A few questions
honeypot

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 4696 times)

Offline BK3

• Light User
A few questions
« on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:06 »
I've lurked around the forums, and tried to find answers to the questions I am about to ask. I have found good information, and wanted some further clarification on certain items, and a couple of new questions.

Brief background: I am DEP and scheduled to leave on Jan 05, 2010. I scored 98 on my ASVAB, which is neither here nor there as I'm sure there are no idiots in the Nuke program, so all that did was qualify me into the program nothing more. I'm twenty three years old.

Question one: I have a BA in Social Science, which is great, except for the fact I have taken exactly one class since High School, and it was statistics. In high school I took Pre-Calc and Algebra II (not sure, I guess that makes it intermediate.) I read the advise and the general consensus seems to be to not take any classes before shipment, as we need to learn the Navy way. For some reason, I feel unprepared for the school, and was thinking of enrolling in at least a Trig and a Physics class before I go to boot camp.

Question two: How easy or hard is it to get your ship date moved up. I would like to leave a sooner than January 05 , for no other reason than to get started in the military. I'm not hurting for money or anything like that, I'm just gung-ho! Anything would be great, even a month, but I didn't really see any information pertaining to this.

If anybody cared the bonus right now is 23k for an enlisting nuke (YMMV) only posting this for any other prospective nukes looking for the information. I'm more concerned with making it through the Nuke Schools than anything else though.

Hope I didn't post anything to draw the ire of the board, and thanks for any help and direction you guys can give me.

MODIFIED TO CONCEAL MY IDIOCY
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 01:26 by BK3 »

mlslstephens

Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:52 »

Brief background: I am DEP and scheduled to leave on Jan 05, 2009.

Question two: How easy or hard is it to get your ship date moved up. I would like to leave a sooner than January 05 ,

BK3,
Is it just me, or did someone screw with your calendar?  By my calculation, you should already know how to fold your t-shirts "thin-thick-thick-thin".

What am I missing here?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:10 »
BK3,
Is it just me, or did someone screw with your calendar?  By my calculation, you should already know how to fold your t-shirts "thin-thick-thick-thin".

What am I missing here?

It might just be a subsituted A for a U, which would make the correct answer Jun instead of Jan. 

NavLi4, I just learned how to solve second order linear homogenous D.E.s and immediately thought of one of your older posts.  Should I put in my NUPOC application now or what? ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 09:10 by Preciousblue1965 »
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

imthehoopa

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:03 »
Question one: I have a BA in Social Science, which is great, except for the fact I have taken exactly one class since High School, and it was statistics. In high school I took Pre-Calc and Algebra II (not sure, I guess that makes it intermediate.) I read the advise and the general consensus seems to be to not take any classes before shipment, as we need to learn the Navy way. For some reason, I feel unprepared for the school, and was thinking of enrolling in at least a Trig and a Physics class before I go to boot camp.

Your call. Couldn't help you there.

Question two: How easy or hard is it to get your ship date moved up. I would like to leave a sooner than January 05 , for no other reason than to get started in the military. I'm not hurting for money or anything like that, I'm just gung-ho! Anything would be great, even a month, but I didn't really see any information pertaining to this.

What you have to do is tell your recruiter. There is a request form that he/she can submit to your MEPS to ask for an earlier ship date. Whether you get a spot or not is all up to chance. I DEPped in last October and submitted the form the same month. I'm still leaving at my original ship date at the end of April. I hope your ship date was a typo and you don't have to wait a year. Good luck to you.

Offline BK3

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:23 »
Yes I ship in January 2010, sorry for the mistake that caused the confusion in this post. Still, thanks for the answer I will talk to the recruiter about that option. I'd like to wait a little less than nine months, but it's not the end of the world or anything.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 01:25 by BK3 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:31 »
I've lurked around the forums, and tried to find answers to the questions I am about to ask. I have found good information, and wanted some further clarification on certain items, and a couple of new questions.

Brief background: I am DEP and scheduled to leave on Jan 05, 2010. I scored 98 on my ASVAB, which is neither here nor there as I'm sure there are no idiots in the Nuke program, so all that did was qualify me into the program nothing more. I'm twenty three years old.

If anybody cared the bonus right now is 23k for an enlisting nuke (YMMV) only posting this for any other prospective nukes looking for the information. I'm more concerned with making it through the Nuke Schools than anything else though.

Hope I didn't post anything to draw the ire of the board, and thanks for any help and direction you guys can give me.

MODIFIED TO CONCEAL MY IDIOCY

You need no other preparation for this school other than continuing to fog a mirror. Relax.

Justin

imthehoopa

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:22 »
Yes I ship in January 2010, sorry for the mistake that caused the confusion in this post. Still, thanks for the answer I will talk to the recruiter about that option. I'd like to wait a little less than nine months, but it's not the end of the world or anything.

Yea, I thought that too, but now I'm glad I didn't go earlier. I get to celebrate my brithday here at home, had the holidays here, my friends' wedding... Things I'm glad I didn't miss. Enjoy your time until you go in whenever it turns out to be for you. Again, good luck.

-DEP Recruit imthehoopa (for 33 more days)

Offline BK3

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:30 »

Yea, I thought that too, but now I'm glad I didn't go earlier. I get to celebrate my brithday here at home, had the holidays here, my friends' wedding... Things I'm glad I didn't miss. Enjoy your time until you go in whenever it turns out to be for you. Again, good luck.

-DEP Recruit imthehoopa (for 33 more days)

Yeah I considered that, as I'd be able to spend everybody's birthday and the holidays here with my family before I shipped out.

That said I did fill out the required form, and made myself available after a couple of months so I'd be at least able to celebrate a few of the birthdays. Thanks for the help Hoopla.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?