Career Path > Salary Questions

Starting pay for Operators with Navy Nuclear Experience

(1/8) > >>

NavynukeMM1:
What do operators start out making with Navy Nuke Experience? Does it matter how long you were in the Navy? Does it matter if you qualified PPWS/EWS?

Also, was told it's possible to get the GI bill while in the "training" phase of your job (first 6-12 months). Is this correct?

Nuclear NASCAR:
Commercial operators will start out at the same rate (in most cases) with or without Navy Nuke experience.  If the plant is a Union plant the wages are already spelled out in a contract.  Starting pay is in the $25-$30/hr range depending on location.

Hope this helps and Thanks for your service. 

GoLonghorns:
You can get the VA education benefits for OJT while going through NLO schooling.  The new GI Bill, post 9-11, will not include OJT benefits, so you would have had to pay for the old GI Bill ($100/month for 12 months) and not switch over to the new one.  The VA website has the forms you need to fill out and the supervision at your plant should know how to fill out the forms.  I know the benefits diminish in value after a set period of time. 

vagabond:
I don't know all the information for collecting GI Bill benefits.  It's classified as OJT, which affords you the chance to collect.  
I found some info from http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/rates/CH30/ch30rates080108.htm :

Apprenticeship and On-Job Training  

Training Period/Monthly rate

First six months of training-$990.75
Second six months of training-$726.55
Remaining pursuit of training-$462.35

No Dependents/One Dependent/Two Dependents/Each additional dependent

1st six months of pursuit of program-$1093.50/$1105.88/$1116.75/$5.25
 2nd six months- $782.93/$792.28/$799.98/$3.85
 3rd six months- $486.15/$492.28/$497.00/$2.45
 Remaining pursuit of program- $474.25/$480.03/$485.28/$2.45

I think the first set of rates might be applicable to flight training, and the second set of rates is what you'd be concerned with.  The best thing to do would be to talk to the VA, or someone who is receiving benefits.

Having PPWS/EWS 5 or 6 years of qualified experience can qualify you for an SRO position.  This would start at a much higher rate, and is typically salary, than an AO or NLO position.  Usually SROs get around 6 figures with bonuses.  

NavynukeMM1:

--- Quote from: vagabond on Mar 25, 2009, 06:12 ---Having PPWS/EWS 5 or 6 years of qualified experience can qualify you for an SRO position.  This would start at a much higher rate, and is typically salary, than an AO or NLO position.  Usually SROs get around 6 figures with bonuses.  

--- End quote ---

I've heard that direct SRO is not a good way to go. From what I've heard, there is a high failure (not getting licensed in time required) for this program. Is that true or is that something to consider? I qualified PPWS onboard ENTERPRISE (the Navy's most complex plant design) and have well over the 5 years in the supervisory watchstations. Trust me, the thought of the quick money right away is tempting. Do you know what SRO trainees make until licensed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version