Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Starting pay for Operators with Navy Nuclear Experience
honeypot

Author Topic: Starting pay for Operators with Navy Nuclear Experience  (Read 54992 times)

NavynukeMM1

Re: Starting pay for Operators with Navy Nuclear Experience
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:32 »
I was a 9 year sub MM1/ELT qualified EWS on the boat and EWS/EOOW at hell on Earth prototype.

As an AO, your shiftly duties will include;

-Rounds (ie taking logs). This is done once per shift at the beginning, for the area you are responsible for that day (rotates). Usually takes a couple three hours.
-Minor house keeping along the way. And by minor I mean picking up a piece of trash or wiping up some oil.
-Your portion of any testing going on that day after rounds are done.
-Applying/removing clearances (tagouts).

AO is a mix of all of the rates as you will do stuff involving turning valves, racking in/out breakers and turning on/off electronics. But you will not do the maintenance on any of it.

That is about it (based on my plant, keep in mind).

Justin

And what about NLO? or is this all symantics?

PS...love your "OH NO" pic

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:34 »
AO = NLO

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:38 »
Yup like Jams said AO (aux operator) = NLO (non-licensed operator) = EO (equipment operator) = AUO (aux unit operator) = whatever other equivalent terms exist out there.

Justin
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009, 03:22 by JustinHEMI »

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2009, 09:44 »
I was a 9 year sub MM1/ELT qualified EWS on the boat and EWS/EOOW at hell on Earth prototype.

I don't think you're being very fair to Hell, Justin.   :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2009, 03:21 »

I don't think you're being very fair to Hell, Justin.   :P

YOU said it LOL good one.  :P

hnwaters

« Reply #30 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:15 »
I was hired into a class of 20 with various backgrounds and all at the same rate of 23 and change. A year after hiring we are at 30 and 3 years after qualifying full NLO we top out at will most likely be 40 and change accounting for yearly COLAs.

What plant are you located? Anyone from VY have an idea on pay with shift differential and OT once qualified AO?

Offline ftn807

• Very Lite User
« Reply #31 on: Aug 10, 2009, 10:59 »
We (crystal "palace" river) start at 25 and change and will be just over 26 in Dec. We are about to post for 8 positions starting after our huge 3+ month outage starting in Sep. Class likely to start soon after the new year.

Fremont

« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2010, 06:05 »
I'm an SRO instructor with 20 years experience, about to retire from an Exelon PWR.
Our non-licensed operator program and licensed operator programs are both VA benefit certified, but that's something each plant has to do. It's not consistent, even within a utility.

I was an EM1 on CVN-65, but Load Dispatcher doesn't fall neatly into the NRC guidelines, so I couldn't go direct SRO (many many years ago.) I had to license RO first. PPWS and EWS will qualify, if you have at least 2 years (I think it's 2 years) qualified in the watchstation.

We've had mixed results with Navy retirees going for instant SRO. If you've been out of the plants for a while, you'll probably have trouble. Commercial license training is much more difficult than the Navy's program. Don't count on skating through it. I wrote our last NRC exam, and everyone who was sent up passed it. 14 for 14. But we lost half a dozen along the way, including a couple of ex Navy nukes. And a MS in nuke engineering...

co60slr

« Reply #33 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:21 »
We've had mixed results with Navy retirees going for instant SRO. If you've been out of the plants for a while, you'll probably have trouble. Commercial license training is much more difficult than the Navy's program. Don't count on skating through it. I wrote our last NRC exam, and everyone who was sent up passed it. 14 for 14. But we lost half a dozen along the way, including a couple of ex Navy nukes. And a MS in nuke engineering...
This is the most valuable posting I've seen here in years relative to Navy to Commercial Nuclear transitions.

I hope you can stay and help the exNavy (or soon to be) guys/gals out here Fremont. 

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:59 »
Navy Nukes without a degree or EWS/PPWS start out at $33 and change at Waterford 3 and $26 and change at Oconee based on my 2011/2012 experiences/offers.

Just adding to the info...Hope it helps.

Offline Kakashi86

• Very Lite User
« Reply #35 on: Aug 14, 2012, 11:00 »
$33/hour with navy experience or technical degree. Without that I think its around 26. @ Ginna.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?